Join our zoo community

Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium Pittsburgh Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 8 Jan 2014.

1. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

3. TigerValley98

According to the latest edition of Zoo Insider, the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium is making their admission plaza to be completely solar and wind power. A windspire turbine and solar pedestrian lights have been added. Solar panels have been added to the admission gates.

4. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. TigerValley98

6. TigerValley98

7. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hmm... I knew something seemed awfully familiar about the pictures in that link. These are two screens shots that I took from both of my videos on Jungle Trails in Cincinnati. The top one shows the second viewing of the bonobo exhibit and the bottom shows the fallen, fake tree at the start of the trail. Sorry for the blurriness, but it was the best I could do.

Attached Files:

8. TigerValley98

Pittsburgh Zoo’s new cheetahs are going to debut in May. The zebras will return and live with giraffes Mel and Sox.

9. TeamTapir223

TeamTapir223 Well-Known Member

Do you know what species of zebra? And how many ?

Team Tapir223

10. TigerValley98

The newsletter only mentioned zebras. I have asked the zoo on Facebook and I will let you know what they tell me. They got private funding for a new zebra barn. It will give Mel and Sox some company as long as they behave better than the zoo's previous zebras.

11. TigerValley98

12. jusko88

The Pittsburgh zoo now has 2 new female Meerkats on exhibit with the current 2 males in Kids Kingdom. The zoo used to have 3 males so one of them must have left the zoo. They hope for the meerkats to breed.

13. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. TigerValley98

Large Marge and the rest of the sand tiger sharks will have to move out. Their relocation may be part of the reason why there is not a timetable.

15. TigerValley98

16. TigerValley98

Construction Updates:

Exhibits Closed Due to Construction: Komodo dragon; giraffe; cheetah

The Komodo dragon exhibit is closed because they are building a new holding building on that side of the exhibit. The zoo’s red panda lives on the other side of the outdoor exhibit and in the indoor exhibit.

The giraffe exhibit is closed due to the construction of the new cheetah exhibit. I also suspect the new zebra barn will be built during this construction. The old wild dog exhibit looks nothing like it did. It is gone. It has been flattened. There are construction vehicles and dirt in places. I do not know what the reopening date is but I expect summer at the earliest. I may even opening in mid-summer.

Other News:

The Working Wild interactive classroom area was open today in the Animal Care Center. It is open on the weekends. There signs to say whether it is open or not. There is also new viewing spot for the gorillas.

There are new coral propagation display tanks in the coral propagation area at PPG Aquarium.

I actually saw black rhino baby Janine out on exhibit with her father Jomo. Mother Azizi was out earlier by herself.

Large Marge and the other sand tiger sharks were photogenic. This is probably because they are about to lose their home to the zoo’s newest celebrity, Coolio the elephant seal.

17. TigerValley98

Additional News from Today:

The empty muntjac exhibit looked manicured and I think there is a new building in the exhibit. I suspect a new resident is coming soon.

There are signs that the Amur leopards and the polar bears may be off exhibit for breeding.

18. TigerValley98

Blind elephant seal settles in to new home at Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coolio's left eye, which is shrunken and severely damaged, may eventually be removed and a prosthetic eye inserted. Coolio's right eye is full-sized and less damaged, and he said there is a slight chance an operation could restore its vision. Large Marge & the rest of the sand tiger sharks will be removed initially from Coolio's new exhibit. It sounds like they will likely return as exhibit mates according to the article.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2014
  19. jusko88

20. TeamTapir223

TeamTapir223 Well-Known Member

When Top of the World was first announced the project was said to include Orangutans,Spectacled Bears and Snow Leopards which are all animals which currently reside in Pittsburgh.Today this article mentions four new species.Makes one wonder exactly what the exhibit will actually be once the get started on it.

Team Tapir223