Join our zoo community

Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium Pittsburgh Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 8 Jan 2014.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

3. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Moja could have been moved to make room for another male. They have been looking for a mate for Victoria. It will be awhile until Thabo Umasai reaches breeding age. They alos could be making room if Victoria would have a calf in the future though AI.

Here is a link to an article that mentions Victoria (by age) at the end of the article:
    Pittsburgh Zoo trying to boost elephant population - Washington Times

5. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

6. SamMetz

Peta is just being the nut cases they've always been and claiming the dogs are trying to attack the elephants and chasing them around. Im sorry, but I really don't think multi-ton animals are being chased around like they're squirrels by anything, let alone a medium-sized dog. If it bothered the elephants that much we would be seen a dog been hurt by now, to be honest. They claimed that since there is the "no dog shall chase wildlife" law that it falls under that category, which is ridiculous considering their both owned by the same facility and the dogs aren't trying to attack and kill the elephants. If you use that mentality they should being suing every zoo and facility that uses dogs as surrogates and playmates for animals like cheetahs and other animals. Which I'm sure they're alreadying thinking about how they can do that too. They found a loop hole that was meant to protect native wildlife from peoples pets and they're trying to milk it as much as they can. :mad:

7. TZFan

8. SamMetz

9. Falcosparverius

Falcosparverius Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Life lesson I learned a while back, never read comments. There are always people with opposing (and ignorant) opinions, just ignore them. That's why we are here on Zoochat, knowing that we all share the same general ideology about zoos! :D

10. wensleydale

I recently started doing the same thing for the same reason.

11. TZFan

Sorry everyone I didn't mean to get you all angry. Just found an article on the elephants and posted. I never look at comments either for the same reasons. Most people make stupid comments.

12. wensleydale

I'm not angry. Not at you and not at the people who commented. It's because I didn't look at the comments section.

I'm am angry at the relentlessly weak (her work that is, she seems to write the same book again and again) author Jodi Picoult, because she was allowed to spend time at the Elephant Sanctuary in TN, presumably because she is famous and can portray them in the light that they want to be portrayed in. But that is for another thread.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2014
  13. SamMetz

Its not your fault people are ignorant. I shouldn't have said anything. I was just so annoyed with peoples comments who try to discourage the public from supporting zoos, when they don't know anything about animals or whats best for their futures.

14. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

The Pittsburgh zoo recently took in 2 young clouded leopards!!! The 2 will be on exhibit this coming summer. I don't know for certain where the will be exhibited at but i have a good feeling it's where the snow leopard exhibit currently is.