Join our zoo community

Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium 2020 News

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 15 Jan 2020.

1. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Also Umasai's, the young male elephant, death was posted on Facebook briefly. Was very similar to what DAK did regarding elephant Rafikis death.

BigCatConniseur24 likes this.
  2. Jay Dun

Jay Dun Member

Thanks for providing your perspective as an "outsider." I don't know if I would agree that the Pittsburgh Zoo's management is shockingly bad, but I agree that there are some improvements that could and should be made.

The zoo's decision to drop its accreditation is puzzling. I know there are viewpoints that see it as a good thing, and others that see it as a bad decision. I'm not knowledgeable enough to claim either way, but it does seem that the zoo has lost funding as a result. Obviously, funding is essential and the lifeblood of any good and operating zoo. I think the zoo will eventually need to reconsider this approach due to the lost amount of funding it will incur over time.

From my perspective, I think the Islands expansion was done quite nicely. I personally enjoy it. I also think the Jungle Trails expansion was a welcome addition. From pictures, I can understand how it would look underwhelming because the area seems sparse. Due to the large amount of plants that are growing there over the next few years, the area should fill in nicely over time. Of course, they were both completed over-budget and late from what I have been able to read over the years. So some criticism is also appropriate. Especially over the pygmy hippo exhibit. That just seems like a major project management error. My understanding the zoo has two pygmy hippos but can only display one at a time due to the small size of the enclosure pool.

Lastly, I couldn't agree more about a better PR team. Communication, especially for a non-profit organization that receives publicly funded tax dollars, has been very poor.

pachyderm pro and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  3. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

What? Rafiki died in DAK? I never heard of it. She should now be 41 years old.

4. Bozie's Friend

Bozie's Friend Member

Not to derail the topic, but I did a Caring for Giants tour yesterday and asked about her, the Cast Member looked uncomfortable and said something along the lines of "She is no longer at this facility." They seem to have kept it quiet because I can't find anything at all about it. It was surprising to me as well, since I was expecting to see her.

Elephantelephant likes this.
  5. Elephantelephant

It is sad. She probably died.:( But it could mean that if they don't report death, they don't mean pregnancy. I think some cows are certainly pregnant. Vasha, Kianga and Nadirah should have a calf.

6. BigCatConniseur24

BigCatConniseur24 Well-Known Member

I saw this picture on my Instagram newsfeed today of The Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium’s polar bear exhibit back in the old days compared to present day. Look, I know a lot of people on this site aren’t impressed by Water’s Edge, and while I would love to see some more land terrain (grass, dirt, and actual rocks) instead of concrete and mock rock, I will say, it is an AWESOME exhibit. It doesn’t have the quality of Detroit’s polar bear exhibit, BUT it’s not THAT bad. And yes, I’m WELL aware that Koda, the male polar bear paces back and forth repetitively due to stress and anxiety issues which is terrible, however, the zoo is doing everything they can for the animals is providing them with the best care. Polar bears are a lot safer in zoos than in the wild due to the whole climate change disaster that keeps getting worse. Plus, I LOVE the underwater tunnel experience with the polar bears or the northern elephant seals or the sea lions. It is SOOO cool.

Attached Files:

7. BigCatConniseur24

Just out of curiosity: Why do so many people, especially PETA hate the Pittsburgh Zoo’s elephant management program? The elephant manager at the zoo, Willie Theisen does an OUTSTANDING job with the elephants. He cares so much about the elephants. He works so hard to build and develop rapport with the elephants. He treats the elephants like they are his family, and I believe that’s a great way to go about it. He does not abuse them at all. I will admit, they do carry the elephant tools, but he does not beat the elephants with them. He doesn’t whack or poke any of them with it. He gives them a VERY gentle nudge on the back in order to keep the line moving when he’s training them. I don’t consider that elephant abuse. As long as he uses the tool carefully and safely (which he does), it’s NOT abuse. I will admit using dogs to herd the elephants around, isn’t the best idea, however it’s NOT the worst thing that could happen. I do see how it could cause stress to the elephants, and thus an elephant would probably kill a dog out of fear. I DON’T think the dogs are trying to hurt the elephants though. They are just trying to keep the herd well-behaved and safe. Plus, they aren’t randomly going to attack or bite an elephant. Their job is to keep the herd well behaved and safe. They are kind of unnecessary though. I don’t know why they need herding dogs, when Willie Theisen spends so much time with all the elephants and he uses free contact. Lastly, the fact that they use free contact doesn’t really bother me. Yes, going the route of protected contact is a safer option, however, some people are very good at free contact management. Willie Theisen is one of those people. I read somewhere that the reason why he does free contact is because he feels confident and that he trusts his elephant handling abilities. As long as the keeper or the elephants are not getting hurt, (the keeper’s death in 2002, was a freak accident...it wasn’t the keeper or the elephant’s fault, plus it’s been 18 years since that happened and there have been no other elephant aggressions towards keepers), then I’m fine with free contact. I’m not saying free contact is the way to go, I’m just saying that it if it’s done correctly, it can work very well. I am upset that the zoo, left the AZA for the ZAA, as I don’t like how it’s costing them multiple SSP’s which will limit the amount of new animals the zoo can add to its collection, however, I completely understand why they made their decision. I just wish they would rejoin AZA at some point, so they can participate in more SSP’s and add some more diversity to their collection. Are ZAA zoos allowed to participate in some AZA SSP’s to acquire more animals? For example, I think the African lion SSP is managed by the AZA. Would they still be able to get African lions despite not being an AZA member or can you only have lions if you belong to the AZA? Just curious. Trying to figure out how this whole SSP and acquisition of new animals thing works. I’ve read a few studbooks, but that’s about it.

8. Elephantelephant

Unfortunately, because they are not members of AZA, their elephant breeding has stopped. The last calves were born 12 years ago. They have 4 cows that should have a calf but no bull. For the 20-year-old Victoria was performed in 2018 AI, but I do not know the result. They really should start breeding.

9. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

They have tried breeding several of their females at the zoo and ICC, both AI and naturally, unfortunately without any of them taking. Has nothing to do with accreditation status.

10. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think most people have issues with the elephant program’s refusal to change some of these practices that you mention here are not the best for the elephants wellbeing that are fixed by protected contact (using dogs, bullhooks, etc). While they may work, a big issue at many zoos are their refusal to change practices because “that’s how we’ve always done it and it works well for us”. While it may work, it doesn’t mean it’s the best or only way to do it. Pittsburgh’s position on elephant management puts them in the minority compared to other major elephant programs. When the AZA started requiring members to switch to protected contact, most facilities were able to switch and IMO for the better in terms of animal welfare. Pittsburgh didn’t like the new policy and though it was too much of an overreach for the AZA. I don’t agree with Pittsburgh on this and actually wish the AZA had more standards for different species and updated them more regularly rather than leave it to the individual facilities to change on their own. This would show those that are on the fence about zoos and AR activists that zoos are not the iron bar places they saw when they were kids and are changing with new science and research.

Now about SSPs, depending on the SSP, non-AZA members are allowed to participate in some but not all. SSPs are divided into three categories Green, Yellow, and Red with Green being the most sustainable in captivity and Red being the least. SSPs are allowed to work with non-AZA facilities with approval and if the facility follows the species management protocols for that SSP. These are called “Sustainability Partners” and need to be evaluated for compliance with these policies every 5 years in order to continue working with the SSP. Most WAZA facilities can work with SSPs if they apply. The Red and Yellow SSPs generally need the most support so they work with Sustainability Partners the most while Green SSPs are sustainable within the AZA and generally do not use Sustainability Partners. Big cat SSPs are looking for spaces to house cats (usually non-breeding) and will use Sustainability Partners. I’m assuming this is where Pittsburgh will get new lions after updating their housing to comply with AZA protocols.

11. BigCatConniseur24

I wish they could start the elephant breeding again too. If you toss out the one unsuccessful birth in 2017, they’ve had 4 cases where calves have been successfully born. For the most part, they do a good job.

12. BigCatConniseur24

13. BigCatConniseur24

Thank you for that information. It makes sense. You are right, protected contact is probably a better option and it would eliminate the problems associated with free contact. Thank you for explaining SSP’s and sustainability partners to me. That makes sense.

Elephantelephant and Echobeast like this.
  14. BigCatConniseur24

What do you think is going to happen to the crocodilians at the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium? There’s a fairly new piece of legislation that prohibits the ownership of crocodilians in the city of Pittsburgh. There is an exception for zoos, however you have to be a member or the AZA in order to house the crocodilians. They have 4 Philippine Crocodiles that are exhibited in the Islands and I think have been at the zoo since 2002, and they have a male American Alligator named, Otis who’s been at the zoo since the 1990s. He lives in Kid’s Kingdom in a huge pool of water. Anyways, are those two species going to have to leave the zoo? Also, I think they recently acquired false gharials to exhibit in Compass Point as part of their continuously developing Top of the World expansion project. What’s going to happen to the gharials?

Thanks everyone!

15. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Bigcatconniseur: I am one of those crazy elephant people who visit zoos mainly to see elephants. I have visited almost all mayor zoos with elephants in Europe and some in the US, and I have spent a LOT of time observing zoo elephants in the last 20 years. I have seen abusive bullhook use on many occasions. I agree with you that some persons have an amazing ability to connect with elephants, and that these people are able to work around (some) elephants in free contact safely without using violence/force. I do not know if Willie Theison is one of them, but let`s assume he is - the problem is that he cannot run the Pittsburgh elephant program by himself. I don`t know the exact number, but there must be serveral more people who work with the elephants. Not all of them will stay with the Pittsburgh zoo until retirement. Staff changes all the time. And not all keepers will have the same ability to connect with all of their elephants like Willie Theison may have. That`s a given. He can`t be everywhere. And that means even if Pittsburgh has one amazing "elephant man", they still have all the problems that all zoos that keep elephants in free contact have because naturally not all of their staff will be as amazing as Willie T. around elephants. That they use dogs to herd them is a sure sign that they know this! Otherwise there would no be no need to distress the elephants.

I have seen too much abusive bullhook use over the years. I am so, so happy that so many zoos have changed tp p.c. Many, many zoos all over the world have proven again and again that p.c. is safe and effective. Hey, in p.c., it s even possible to perform medical procedures on adult bull elephants that have killed people in the past, without anesthesia!! There is simply no reason to stick to free contact any longer. There is a safer method available that`s at least as effective, and it eliminates the danger of abusive bullhook use through misled, overstrained or frightened keepers.

16. Echobeast

I believe Pittsburgh Zoo is fighting to have an exception put in place for them but from recent news, it looks like the city is not happy with them leaving the AZA and are staying firm. This may stem from the issue of Pittsburgh Zoo technically being in violation of their lease from the city because they are not accredited by the AZA. I think the ordinance is pretty blanket so I don’t think the zoo would even be allowed to keep their alligators if it passed as written. It’s anyone’s guess as to where the animals would go if they are forced to move them but I would assume they would go to other zoos.

17. BigCatConniseur24

Thank you for your insight!! I agree protected contact is better. It protects both the animal and the keepers.

18. BigCatConniseur24

Yeah, I unfortunately think you are right. I would hate to see the alligators and crocodiles leave. That’s one of my favorite parts of the whole zoo. I LOVE reptiles. I think they are some of the most interesting and fascinating creatures to ever walk the face of the Earth. The Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium needs to rejoin the AZA as soon as possible. I wonder what it would take for them to finally realize and admit that leaving the AZA was a major mistake. It’s probably going to take a major change in ownership and management. While I LOVE and will always support the zoo because it’s my home zoo and the closest I will ever get to seeing zoo animals up close, I think there needs to be a CHANGE in management. Dr. Barbara Baker isn’t the worst zoo owner/CEO, however she has done a few things that I personally can not agree with her on. Leaving the AZA was my biggest issue.

19. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Given Pittsburgh's current status in violation of their lease and the city not on good terms on top of still refusing to rejoin the AZA, how do you think they will manage through the current closure? Given they will probably have to stay closed longer than originally planned, how big an impact do you think it will have?

20. Echobeast

One thing that some AZA institutions are trying to push is to be included in a federal stimulus package. They are asking for $4B. A real possibility is that wording might be included that only includes AZA institutions as that is a pretty safe thing for politicians to support. Personally I hope they include Pittsburgh in any sort of deal as I still think it’s a quality institution that should be supported but their AZA decision may hurt them in this situation.

Great Argus likes this.