Join our zoo community

Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium 2020 News

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 15 Jan 2020.

1. BigCatConniseur24

BigCatConniseur24 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the zookeepers and all the animal husbandry staff are still allowed to go to the zoo to provide the necessary care that they need. For example, I watched a video of them performing a medical procedure on two a pair of Australian Black Swans, so they definitely still have access to all the animals.

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I assumed that, all zoos are still able to tend to their animals. I meant more from the standpoint that the current closure will be costing them a lot of money, and I don't think the city will grant any requests of large proportion. Especially given they have chosen to not pursue reaccreditation with the AZA and as such have lost a good deal of status and support, they are one of the zoos I find would be most likely to close should they approach bankruptcy. What the zoo's current financial situation is I do not know. However I suspect they need money, as most zoos currently do. Given the deck appears stacked against them, I'm curious what people think may occur with Pittsburgh.

BigCatConniseur24 likes this.
  3. BigCatConniseur24

I honestly have no idea what’s going to happen. Would hate to see them have to close. It’s honestly not that bad of a zoo, it’s pretty good in my opinion. It could just be doing much better obviously

4. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh Zoo has one of the largest, and wealthiest, group of private donors amongst US facilities. I wouldn't be too concerned about them closing.

5. BigCatConniseur24

Does anyone know if the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium still has the following species: 1. Dama/Addra Gazelles (I tend to call them Addra Gazelles because that’s what they look most like, however the zoo and various other people call them Dama Gazelles...which is it?) 2. Nyala 3. North American Barn Owl. 4. Australian Black Swans. The reason why I’m asking is because the last time I visited the zoo, at the end of September 2019, the Nyala and the Addra Gazelles were both missing from the Ostrich yard (very warm and sunny day) Only the ostriches were out and I have not seen any recent pictures of either species of antelope. However, on Tuesday, they did a video from the Elephant and Ungulate Barn where they treated their two Black Swans for some kind of foot problem and I saw one of the male-bull Nyalas in the barn. Which makes me question why I didn’t see them the day I went. I didn’t see the Dama Gazelles in the barn though, so I do not know if they are still at the zoo. I also didn’t see the two black swans in Kids Kingdom, but they were in the ungulate barn when they were filming a video. Lastly, I haven’t see the barn owl since late September 2017. It’s a female owl, who either lives or used to live in Kids Kingdom. Any update information would be helpful so I can better prepare myself for my summer trip. I would refer to the zoo’s app or website myself, but both the app and website are terribly outdated. The app is slightly better than the website, but they need to spend more time working on the app or the website. I don’t know why those don’t get more attention. For example, the app still has Ajani at the zoo, when he’s not, same thing for Mai the deceased white-cheeked gibbon. The app also hasn’t listed the two tiger cubs born in 2017 or the sloth that lives with the sakis or capuchins. It’s not very helpful.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2020
  6. BigCatConniseur24

This does not directly relate to the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium, but does anyone know what species of ungulates/hoofstock that the AZA, ZAA, etc. are trying to add to zoo collections? In other words, what new species are they trying to bring in so that zoos can display? I am particularly interested in African and Asian antelope, gazelles, and cattle, and any species of deer. I don’t know why, but I have a newly found interest in antelopes, gazelles, deer, and wild cattle. They remind me of the great herds and plains of Serengeti National Park, the Masai Mara, and the jungles of India.

7. Jay Dun

Jay Dun Member

Hi PSO. Do you have any links to further back this info up? (not trying to argue at all, I'm genuinely interested in the info)

8. Jay Dun

Jay Dun Member

This would be a bad situation for the zoo, and will likely continue to play out over the years. Funding is the lifeblood of almost any major zoo.

9. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Carnegie Melon and PPG are their biggest, there's several placards around the zoo that list them. Cant remember everyone off the top of my head

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Anmltrnr98

Anmltrnr98 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi @BigCatConniseur24,

Yes, the zoo still has Dama Gazelles and Nyala. The Owl in Kids Kingdom is no longer at the Zoo, but there is still a barn owl as part of the education collection. One of the Australian black swans used to live in Kids Kingdom. Not sure where the other came from.

Going back to your earlier species list, there are two Galapagos tortoises. I believe the zoo has two Ocelot, not one. 4 Sea Lions in Kids Kingdom. There is still a breeding pair of Silvery Cheeked Hornbills, but they’re only on exhibit during the summer.

I’d like to circle back to the Elephant program. My biggest problem with the PGH Elephant program isn’t the free vs. protected contact, it’s the habitat size and lack of enrichment. Based on Google earth calculations (see attached photo, it looks like the main habitat is only 20,000 square feet, which obviously doesn’t meet the needs of these animals. I hope my calculation is wrong!

11. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Do you know what are the names and sexes of the sea lions?

12. Anmltrnr98

Anmltrnr98 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kids Kingdom:
    Seahawk, Male
    Maggie, Female
    Kelilah, Female
    Cheeky, Female

Water's Edge:
    Nav, Male
    Piper, Female

Jungle Man and BigCatConniseur24 like this.
  13. Jungle Man

Do you know any background about them?

14. BigCatConniseur24

Hello,

Thank you so much for the information regarding the species! You actually helped me better plan my next zoo visit! That is wonderful that the zoo still has Dama Gazelles and Nyala! I have a recently developed quite an interest in ungulates, so that is very reassuring to know that I will be able to see antelope and gazelle in addition for the Zebras, giraffes, and elephants. I’m quite impressed by the size of the male Nyalas and their horns are look pretty imposing weapons. I love that them and the ostrich can share their yard with Dama Gazees. Beautiful colors on the fur and cool curved horns. Okay, about the barn owls and the black swans. Thanks for letting me know.

That is wonderful that the zoo has two ocelots and the silvery cheeked hornbill pair! I have rarely seen either species, especially the hornbills, so I don’t know much about them. Okay, thank you for telling me about the 2 Galapagos tortoises and the 4 California sea lions in kid’s kingdom, i’ll change my list. And okay, about the African Elephant habitat. Yeah it it certainly isn’t the biggest elephant exhibit out there, but it’s that bad of an exhibit (when you consider other factors than size). They have a nice pool to drink and bathe in, they have a decent yard with plenty of dirt, grass, and sand, they have a termite mound. Yes, it could be better (plant some more trees so they have more opportunities to browse the leaves with their trunks), but it’s not terrible either. Ever since the African Savanna exhibit area opened in 1987, there have not been that many problems with the elephants (despite the calf dying in 2017 and the elephant accidentally stomping on the keeper’s head in 2002 on an elephant walk which they discontinued which means they learned from their mistake). Look at it this way: There have been 4 calves who have been successfully born and survived past the first year of life (3 females still live at the zoo and 1 bull went to another zoo in 2011...there’s 5 females in the herd in total). Angeline and Zuri who were born in 2008 have been in the zoo for almost 12 years, Victoria has been there for 20 years, and Savannah and Tasha have been there for 25-30 years and I’ve never seen anything bad happen to any of them (yes losing the calf in 2017 and Umasai must have been really herd, but the zoo’s herd seems to get along GREAT. The current herd has been together for 12 years I think they all have very special bonds within the herd and they trust each other and the keepers a lot. That makes me think that they have a good life at the zoo. I wish they had a bull elephant though. I would LOVE to see the bull elephant’s sheer dominant and imposing body and tusks. I LOVE large animals.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand what you are saying about not enough space and enrichment for the elephants, and yes, a bigger elephant exhibit would be AWESOME (they renovated in 2004 after it opened in 1987). Than you for sharing your perspective and also for the Google Earth map. I think they should try to address the indoor Bornean orangutans and western lowland gorillas exhibits (I don’t have a problem with the outdoor gorilla yard...more trees would be nice, but they have plenty of room). Both indoor great apes habitats are horrendous and appalling. Now that the siamangs are gone, I think they should use their former habitat and move the orangutans and white cheeked gibbons out of the Tropical Forest Complex and into the Islands. Replace the gibbons with some kind of tropical-Asian monkey and same for the orangutans or they can expand their African monkey section and get more African monkeys such as mandrills, or Diana monkeys, or De Brazza’s Monkeys. They should also expand the Eastern Black Rhinoceros yard. It’s pretty small and they could use more space. Lastly, to tie it all back to elephants and the issue of space, their indoor barn is not an appropriate space for them. I’m glad they are fairly cold tolerant mammals and they spend the majority of their time outdoors. Their indoor living quarters are very tight. It’s not a good habitat. I will say, I do like that it allows me to be closer to the elephants than if they were all outdoors. That’s probably the biggest room for improvement.

15. BigCatConniseur24

I can help you guys out a little:

Kid’s Kingdom:

Seahawk is the largest sea lion, he weighs about 800 pounds. He came here in 2006, I believe. Maggie has been there the longest. Piper was born in 2009 to one of the former sea lions that is now deceased. I don’t know really know enough about Cheeky, Keliah, and Nav though.

For Water’s Edge, is it a mixed species pool for both the sea lions and northern elephant seals or do they rotate turns on exhibit?

16. Jungle Man

Thanks,I have been researching a lot about these sea lions but in internet there is almost any information about them.

17. BigCatConniseur24

the zoo’s app (free on iOS devices) provides pretty decent information on all the animals. It is much more credible than the website. However, the app and the website are both outdated. The app doesn’t list Hoffman’s two toed sloth (still there), Dama gazelles, silvery cheeked hornbills (you get the picture), plus it mixed up the location of the black howler monkeys and the northern white cheeked gibbons habitats in the Tropical Forest. They don’t do a very good job of updating their app or website animal collection, but that’s just my opinion. If you want to download it and read about the animal profiles and their names, it is a an okay resource.

Jungle Man likes this.
  18. BigCatConniseur24

Just saw the unfortunate news about the Bronx Zoo’s female Malayan Tiger, Nadia testing positive for COVID-19, as well as her sister, 2 amur tigers, and 3 African lions all displaying symptoms including dry cough. Terrible at the 7 cats. The rest of the cats are healthy though, for the moment. What a shame, what precautions do you think Pittsburgh is going to do with its cat collection. They currently have 4 amur tigers, 4 amur leopards, 2 South African cheetahs, 4 clouded leopards, Canada Lynx (can someone please give me an exact number, I know they have a breeding pair that had kittens in 2019 and I think the male kitten from 2018 stayed) and 2 ocelots. Do you think they are going to isolate all the cats? For example, the two tiger cubs, Andre and Tesha both go on exhibit together, the Canada Lynx family (except for the father) stays together, the two cheetahs stay together since one’s a mother and the other’s her daughter, and the two clouded leopard cubs are together. What is the best precaution to take to protect all the cats, now that we know that wild felines (maybe it’s only felines from the Panthera genus, who knows)? I would say put them in all indoor rooms until the virus clears, but I don’t think they have the necessary space in order to do that. I haven’t seen their cat rooms.

Jungle Man likes this.
  19. Jungle Man

I don't know who is at most risk but if we do it like humans,elderly big cats should be protected more than the young ones or at least take precautions with the keepers.

20. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The cats affected were exposed to the virus by a keeper who was not yet showing symptoms earlier on, if I read Bronx's official statement correctly. I would guess most larger and particularly AZA facilities with cats will be taking stricter precautions with keepers.

BigCatConniseur24 and Jungle Man like this.