Join our zoo community

Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium 2020 News

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 15 Jan 2020.

1. BigCatConniseur24

BigCatConniseur24 Well-Known Member

Okay, that’s more reassuring that it’s the keeper who passed it onto the cats. Thanks for the info. Hopefully all the keepers can get screened or something, so that we know which keepers have it and who doesn’t, so the cats are safe

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The link to Bronx's official statement is over in the Bronx news thread, or you could probably find it easily on the internet if you were interested.

BigCatConniseur24 likes this.
  3. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think it's a bit ironic that the first animal in the U.S. to test positive for COVID, of all species, is a tiger? I'm mean really?

4. BigCatConniseur24

Thanks, I’ll check it out

5. BigCatConniseur24

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is the worst "disconnected from" strategy relative to your own workforce I can think of.
    (but this is the New World (not new as in global, but Old / New colonial style ... reality)

Is there any alternative in terms of government support to keep people in work (and not without a damn income ..., since it is the administration's project that upends incomes / cost-benefit / financials)?

7. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A lot of companies and non-profits have been doing this nationwide. Furloughing the employees allows them to go onto unemployment. The recent Coronavirus relief package passed by congress and signed into law by the president, will basically replace all of those employees wages for a period of 4 months. Hopefully by then those employees can be rehired but it wouldn’t shock me if congress extended the period one can collect the increased unemployment benefits.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am afraid this is in an ideal world only and I remain unconvinced that the US of A is anything like that!

More importantly - and yes this being a personal opinion -, but the kind of lacklustre "lockdown" measures in place now in the US have only been introduced in the last 3 weeks and companies already actively furloughing staff now is indicative of a lack of social and community responsibility held by the companies and organisations making use of this facility. Furloughing is also the nearest thing to sliding towards a hard sell layoff of staff and you condemning people to instant no income as well ....!

A better option to me would have been to support zoos and museums and other educational facilities in these trying times as much as the administration seems to want to support the business community. That way no one should be left out and be furloughed or layed off indefinitely and looking at the UB or no income abyss directly.

PS/BTW: no personal criticism, just positive feedback on the phenomenon. I sincerely hope it all works out well for people, but I have some real reservations here.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2020
    Antoine and BigCatConniseur24 like this.
  9. BigCatConniseur24

Two questions:
    1. When they finally decide to start working on The Mountains (4th stage of Top of the World) will they bring in Snow Leopards?
    2. Is there any chance Pittsburgh could exhibit jaguars or cougars? I would like to see more bigger cats than medium-smaller cats (the smaller cats are awesome, as I am a cat lover, but large cats are my favorites)

Last edited: 10 Apr 2020
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. BigCatConniseur24

Also speaking of the zoo’s cats: There’s a Cheetah webcam and also a penguin cam that gives 24 hour live footage for those who didn’t know. It is awesome. I view both cams at least once per day. Both can be found on the website.

11. Jay Dun

Jay Dun Member

12. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last edited: 8 Jun 2020
  13. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They haven’t even started the third phase (compass point) yet and I’m not even sure what they are planning with that anymore because all of the original plans are basically scrapped. The pathway up and around the old bear exhibits is the only thing being worked on. Snow leopards are planned on being a part of mountains along with the Spectacled bear. But the zoo will most likely change that too so don’t take my word. :D

14. natel12

The lion exhibit is currently under renovation so the habitat would be suitable for the possibility of cubs. Along with that, the actual holding building for the lions is being almost completely rebuilt as well. The lions are most likely still at the care center, where they have been since they got here.

15. natel12

Not sure if it was announced but a sea lion was born at the zoo during quarantine and is out on exhibit

16. natel12

It also seems that the empty window near the yellow footed tortoise exhibit in worlds of discovery is being renovated for something. Once housed Philippine crocodiles for a short period

TigerValley98 likes this.
  17. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

California sea lion pup:

The pup was born June 10 to Kelilah. The pup has been named Smiley, though they have yet to determine its gender.

WATCH: New sea lion pup 'Smiley' born at Pittburgh Zoo

18. natel12

My bad, thought it looked older than 10 days when I saw it (was there the 20th)

BigCatConniseur24, Jambo and Zoofan15 like this.
  19. natel12

Zoo announced birth of blacktop reef sharks which can be seen in one of the outdoor windows at the aquarium entrance

20. Jay Dun

Jay Dun Member

Which outdoor window are you referencing? I'm imagining the area where the rehabbing sea turtles typically are right now.