Join our zoo community

Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 23 May 2008.

1. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thursday may have been one of the first days the baby rhino was on the exhibit. That's when I went and there was the keeper and docents watching the area. Do the male and female polar bear ever go exhibit together? One of them which I assumed was the male was doing a stereotypical backwards movement.

2. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

i talked to the water's edge trainer and she told me that there going to start introducing kobe and koda again soon. :)

ya that was koda the male doing that :(. he has some type of disorder and thats why he does that. its sad

3. jusko88

4. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well that's good to hear. Do they usually rotate? The earlier part of the day I saw a polar bear on the bottom and was behaving normally besides the occassional trip to the holding area door. Later in the day a polar bear was on the top level going in and out of the den with the stereotypical behavior. I am not sure if I saw the male the whole day or if it was the female in the first half.

Also, I am excited about the tree kangaroo. I was noticing not much changed within a year so an animal like that would make me come back in the future.

5. jusko88

6. jusko88

The zoo recently released the two young Juvenile Loggerheads (Clemente,Ghostbuster) back into the open ocean about 20 miles off the shores of North Carolina. Prior to their release, Ghostbuster was fitted with a tracking device and you can track his location at
    seaturtle.org - Satellite Tracking

You can also meet our new sea turtle, Sunburst, at the Sea Turtle Second Chance window at the PPG Aquarium.

7. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. CMZman

CMZman Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What happened to Noname, because if he died, thats horrible

THNX: CMZman

9. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Noname died a couple years ago. He was 18. I have never heard if the girls have names yet. I think of them as the 'Lovely Young Ladies'. The Komodo exhibit has been split in half since Top of the World will have a Komodo exhibit. A red panda named Xia lives in the other part. She likes to pace along the exhibit barrier and look at her neighbors. Xia will be getting a boyfriend at some point in the future because they are beginning a red panda breeding program. I do not know what the Lovely Young Ladies think of Xia.