Join our zoo community

Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 23 May 2008.

1. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

The sea otters were off exhibit today cause there going to introduce the baby sea otter to the bigger exhibits :)

2. jusko88

The emperor scorpion is on exhibit now in the bat flyway exhibit in worlds of discovery.

3. jusko88

The Surinam toad is still off exhibit and the electric eel tank looked disembled. So idk if there putting new species in those exhibits or not. There's common musk turtles in the bullfrog exhibit but they still have the bullfrog sign up so idk whats going on there.

Last edited: 26 Aug 2012
  4. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is what I was wondering when I was there last week and the cownose rays were gone. If the walruses do not come to Pittsburgh, perhaps some of the Alaskan Sea Life Center's vast surplus of harbor seals will. Just a thought. I wonder if the blue runners would go into the Deep Ocean tank in PPG Aquarium.

5. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is a new post necessary for every news update in one day?

6. jusko88

yes:p jk jk lol I didn't mean to do that but i guess i ended up doing it haha

7. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sidney has moved to Smithsonian National Zoo with Summer, Cali, and Sophie. Here is SNZ's posting from Facebook.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meet our four female California sea lions that live on American Trail! Sidney (3 years old), Summer (7 years old), Calli (7 years old) and Sophie (1 year old). Sophie is Calli’s first pup and was born on June 17, 2011 at the Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium.

Calli and Summer are not related, but they have similar stories. Both sea lions were orphaned as young pups: Calli’s mother died shortly after she was born, and Summer was abandoned by her mother. In June 2005, Pacific Marine Mammal Center in Laguna Beach, Calif., rescued Calli and Summer. There, animal care staff hand-raised them. They arrived at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo in spring 2006. Sophie and Sidney arrived at the Zoo in July 2012. American Trail - National Zoo| FONZ

8. jusko88

so today i got the zoo insider in the mail. It mentions that the female black rhino azizi could give birth anytime from now til the end of november!!! the staff will watch closely because she is a first time mom. azizi's calf will be the first born at the zoo in over 45 years.

And also keepers are closely watching female sea lion Maggie for any signs that she might be ready to deliver he second pup. maggie had her first pup two years ago.

9. wyldjaguar

wyldjaguar Well-Known Member

10. jusko88

The zoo annouced today that azizi gave birth on Saturday to a baby girl :)

11. jusko88

12. 6647

6647 Well-Known Member

+1 to an Endangered Species. :D

13. jusko88

I asked the rhino keeper what the plans are for jomo's future at the zoo. She told me that they would like to build another barn for the rhinos or ship him to the conservation center in Somerset and start a program there with rhinos since the space for the black rhinos at the zoo is small. They started baby proofing the yard along the edge with big boulder rocks and big tree sticks.

14. jusko88

One of the adult sea otters passed away. That's why they have been off exhibit. There giving the other sea otter medication and the orphaned sea otter will go on exhibit with the other sea otter.

15. jusko88

16. jusko88

17. jusko88

Couple updates. The sea otter that passed away was chugach. Alki was on exhibit swimming in the bigger part of the exhibit and the smaller side was closed to introduce the orphan baby sea otter in. Azizi and her baby(black rhino) were on exhibit today. And i found out some awesome news, next spring the zoo will have a couple of new residents on exhibit. a tree kangaroo and a red panda :).

18. 6647

6647 Well-Known Member

Nice. I wonder how that will work. :D

I'm assuming the roo will be in Kid Kingdom or whatever. Maybe the Red Panda will be in Asian Forest.

19. jusko88

The reason why the cownose rays were removed from the sand tiger shark exhibit is cause the sharks were eating them. The rays are back in quarantine.

20. 6647

6647 Well-Known Member

Oh....I wasn't expecting that.