Join our zoo community

Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium Pittsburgh Zoo's Walk-thru White-tailed Deer Exhibit

Discussion in 'United States' started by The KCZooman, 4 Jan 2010.

1. The KCZooman

The KCZooman Well-Known Member

Does anyone here know about the walk-thru white-tailed deer exhibit at the Pittsburgh Zoo? I'm interested in knowing the layout of the exhibit, plus the overall well-being of the deer, any positive experiences from the public, and whether or not there has been negative incidents between the deer and visitors.

2. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

I've been there, but it's been a number of years. It's built on a hillside and, as I remember, has only a few rather docile deer in it. When I walked through, the deer were all sitting on the ground, with kids around them, petting them. This exhibit is a part of Pittsburgh's #1-rated (by our book) children's zoo. They also have a walk-through kangaroo exhibit in this same children's area.

3. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

the orange county zoo is trying to make a walk through bison, elk, and pronghorn exhibet, they already have mule deer, so i think it would be really cool to see a walkthrough mule deer exhibet at the oc zoo just like the white tail walkthrough at pittsburgh

4. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

Walkthrough bison and elk exhibit? Doesn't really sound...safe? I wouldn't want to get in a pen with a male deer larger than a muntjac.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2011
  5. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I raise Bison like cattle and I won't get into the pasture with them. I couldn't imagine a walk through exhibit with them at all or male elk in rut?

6. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A walk through exhibit with bison would be very dangerous. They are very unpredictable. I would also be nervous around a bull elk in rut.

7. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

luckily for the general public, but sadly for me as a die hard animal lover, i highly dout that the bison/pronghorn/elk walk through will follow through, the orange county zoo 5 years ago said that they were going to put a harbor seal pool in that same empty 1 acre spot, during one trip to the orange county zoo i asked a zookeeper at the irvine park zoo what happened with the harbor seal pool plan, and she said what harbor seals ?, do be honest i think the walk through elk bison and pronghorn plan will go the same route as the harbor seal pool