Join our zoo community

Plan to open UK's First Crocododile Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Cat-Man, 4 Feb 2010.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

All of those have more than just crocs but the fact remains that all are based predominately on crocodiles. I can see this being perfectly succesful - people like to see crocs!

2. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Plus even if it's not hugely successful they're still relatively cheap to feed :D

3. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Yep, sorry for going off topic. I possibly went at the wrong time, it was may bank holiday weekend 2008, there was a bit of work going on, which may have spoiled it, but i'm really not prepared to go back and find out. Which is a pity because i holiday in torbay twice a year, and always visit Paignton and Shaldon. The admission price was in my opinion extortionate for what was on show. Two weeks ago i spent more time at Howletts watching their Gorillas than i did the whole of living coasts. As for the seal and Penguins like i say, i think Bristols exhibit is better.

4. Johnny Morris.

I agree people like to see crocs, but i'm also of the opinion that most people go away disappointed after seeing them. And i'd wager that not many people would return. I also wager that a lot of people would be put off by word of mouth.

5. Maguari

Don't worry - you only mentioned it in passing, I'm the one labouring the point!

Hmmm. I would definitely suggest going back at a less busy time and when there's no building going on. I agree the entrance price is nto the cheapest going but it is one my absolute favourite small collections. At the time you visited the fur seals would have just been in one small pool; they now have the old Macaroni Penguin section and as a result much more room. I struggle to see how Bristol are better for penguins though - one of the (few) drawbacks of Seal and Penguin Coasts is how the penguins struggle to get away from visitors. I would say Living Coasts was much better in that regard.

Are you a 'bird person' in general? It is a very 'birdy' place, so I think if you're not that would certainly count against you enjoying it! (though the new aquarium section is very good)

Anyway, there was something about crocodiles? :eek:

6. Maguari

I'm gonna agree to disagree on this point :) I really don't see this last bit in particular happening. But maybe time will tell!

7. Johnny Morris.

Maguari, what i'm getting at is someone wanting to see Crocs, they visit, see croc after croc not moving a twitch. they go away disappointed. Someone mentions to them that they fancy going there to see the crocs. What do you think the person who visited would say?

It also get worse if you have kids in tow. If they aren't happy, your day will be spoiled.

8. Johnny Morris.

I'll admit i never used to be a bird person, but with time i find them more interesting and i'm on the verge of becoming a birdwatcher (My friends and family think i'm strange liking zoos, how will that one go down?) I liked the birds at LC, but i admit to not getting the wow factor from them apart from waders estuary. I recall at the time there was mention that the seals prefered the smaller enclosure.

9. Maguari

I get what you mean, I just don't think that that great a number of people will be disappointed to that level by the crocs. You hear a few people in zoos making comments of the kind of 'it looks like a model' - as some fellow ZooChatters can testify, someone even claimed that about Twycross's crocs the other week when they were actually walking about(!).

But I don't think there's this level of 'Those crocs are rubbish - they hardly move' disappointment. I just don't think there is - even among kids.

10. Johnny Morris.

You must have seen some cracking croc exhibits. I've spent most of tonight thinking of a less interesting animal, to pay money to view. i really can't think of one.

11. Midlan

Midlan Member

well, ive seen chesters phillippenes move quite a bit (so i dont find them boring) yet i agree not all crocs are active, i understand what people are saying when they say it wont atract visitors, although I would love to see it (especially with such a collection)

Im sure they will have other species such as birds/reptiles.

I dont understand crocodiles in captivity completely, but maybe they will have public feeding times and talk, I just do not think this atraction will be boring.

12. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I really like the idea of a UK Crocodile based Collection . It would need to be done well with the story of just how amazing these creatures are ( even if they do not move much ) being conveyed to visitors . Large well-landscaped and planted enclosures , possibly with under-water viewing would help . If they could get hold of one of the enormous Aussie Saltwater crocs. I would think that would be a draw . Feeding time would show just how fast crocs. can move . I would also love to see some Gharial on show in the UK .

Also I think that Living Coasts is brilliant .

13. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Here's my Saturday morning two penneth's worth:

I think the idea of a "Crocodile Zoo" could be successful and financially viable if done well (as Bele suggests).

Average punters love to see Lions & Tigers in zoos and, let's face it, more often than not they're sitting on their backsides, stationery. There's a facination with ferocious/effective apex predators, particularly amongst certain type of males, which I think could be a significant draw if promoted well.

Regarding Living Coasts, it is a great exhibit, but not great value (considering £'s per hours likely to be spent there).

14. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Living Coasts is one of my favourite zoos. On my last visit I was there for 3 hours in the pouring rain. The seal enclosure was not built to house seals but sea otters.

I initially had my doubts over a crocodile zoo but as fellow chatters have pointed out it works in Europe. Why not in the UK? I've changed my mind now.

As for crocodiles not being very active, neither are pythons and boas but the public seem to like them.

15. foz

foz Well-Known Member

I think the crocodile zoo can open a window for new and exiting species in the UK. I also think that it can be a viable business so long as they are willing to diversify slightly; The zoo should have a few basic, easily avaialble animals (such as bird species or lemurs or meerkats). a good picnic area and adventure playground, By having these I think is can be viewed as a good day out, it probaby wont attract visitors from all over the UK (although dpeneding on media coverage, they might at first). I can see this being a good attraction for people local to the region. to make up for the inactive dispalys of the crocodiles they need to make their displays as interactive as possible. because they probably wont attract far flung visistos they need to be reasonably priced.

These are the things i think the crocodile zoo needs to do in order to beome sucessful.

ps sorry for the spelling the keyboard is playing up.

16. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The smart planner would have a series of croc displays, including some for baby specimens, plus a tropical display for some other reptiles (perhaps including freshwater turtles and monitors) with fishes, some tropical birds and mammals, perhaps a butterfly display too. Ideally you need to site it near a CHP (combined heat & power plant) because heating costs are going to be a major expense.

Alan

17. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They do have a few Monitors and Turtles already.

18. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

I am fascinated by crocs, so I would welcome a UK based crocodilian collection.
    Does anybody know what species are currently kept at Crocodiles of the World? After looking at the site, he obviously has Cuban & Dwarf Crocs. Photos show Black Caiman and what looks like False Gharial & American Croc, but it is not clear if they are in his collection or elsewhere.

19. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Some of the pictures have been taken at the Danish Crocodile Zoo!

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Been doing a bit of a crawl through the archives (obviously) and came across this thread predicting that Crocodiles of the World would be a flop - quite interesting to read given how the intervening 8 years have gone!

Good thing you didn't place money on that wager @Johnny Morris. ;) :p

pipaluk likes this.