Join our zoo community

Planckendael Planckendael animal park, Mechelen, Belgium.

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Marc, 6 Jan 2008.

1. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

The RZSA (Royal Zoological Society of Antwerp) has 2 parks: The Antwerp Zoo (since 1843) and since 1956 there also is second park, called Planckendael. Maybe some of you have been there already.

Some pictures:

Azia project:
    [​IMG]

Australian zone:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Entrance to the South American zone:
    [​IMG]

2. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

3. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

4. ZooMania

ZooMania Well-Known Member

Looks good

5. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The bonobo island and Australian section are absolutely fantastic :D

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They do very well with Indian rhino too, and are supporting an effort to reintroduce Eurasian otter to the low countries, they have an excellent collection of European mammals.

7. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Yes that's true what you say. I'm glad they do that.
    They also doing great research on the Bonobo's thanks to the CRC, center for research and conservation of the Royal Zoological Society of Antwerp.

8. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

hi marc,

do antwerp still have their eastern lowland gorilla? have you heard if they are starting their enlargement project yet?

both are amazing zoos!

9. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Yes they still have them. Together with the enlargement project, wich is already started, the exhibits from the gorilla's and chimps also will change but we still don't know how...

Look at the topic of the Antwerp Zoo, maybe you can find some information there. I also will post news about the evolutions :).
    http://www.zoobeat.com/9/antwerp-zoo-antwerp-belgium-305/index3.html

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are suggestions that only 1 gorilla is an eastern lowland and the other a mountain gorilla. Will get back from where this eminated.

Regarding the gorilla house. I guess the 2 old females will be allowed to live out their retirement. Once they have passed away, I am convinced that they will continue with a breeding group of western lowland gorillas. The ape house with chimps will augment the theme of okapi and bush pig.

11. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Does any one have any pictures of the Eastern gorillas?

12. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Jelle, just that only one of the 2 gorilla females can be considered "old" (born 1968 -40). The one who is suspected to be a mountain gorilla isn`t even 20 yet....

13. Trebaruna

Trebaruna Well-Known Member

14. Kifaru Bwana

OK.

It is just that it now looks a gorilla paella. A renegade old graueri female, a probable beringei female in her best years and a hopelessly ineffective old grumpy silverback gorilla.

What I am thinking of is: A) The graueri female should be allowed to live out her old age in dignity at Antwerpen. B) Is there really no possibility to bring the probable beringei female back to the Congo or Rwanda (the Karisoke Center) for display purposes or even an attempt at re-integration (if she is proven to be a berengei)? C) The gorilla silverback - well I am afraid for his genes - other then sperm collection a.s.a.p. and freeze - he is no use in the long term at Antwerpen.

When A) and B) have been dealt with, set up D) a functioning ssp. gorilla group at Antwerpen.

For now option C) is out-of-the-question while keeping the group together as it is and HIM is infertile anyway.

What do our Belgian forum friends like while thinking of a future gorilla vision? :D

Last edited: 8 Jan 2008
  15. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

I could be mistaking, but I believe the young female is actually born in antwerp and thus an eastern lowland or at least a lowland-"mix"

as far as I know antwerp hasn't had mountain gorilla's for years.

where does this mountain gorilla theory come from? I can't remember such a discussion on the belgian/dutch fora.

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I just love your name.......:)

It is the older female 'Victoria' who was born at Antwerp. She is a definite Eastern Lowland.
    The younger female 'Amohoro' came from Africa. She is the one whose actual provenance is a mystery. Is she Eastern Lowland or (true) Mountain?

All Antwerp's other gorillas have been either Eastern Lowland(graueri) or Western Lowland. They have not had any true 'mountain' gorillas.

17. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

that's why I was so surprised to hear this mountain gorilla theory.

as far as I know victoria and amahoro are the last 2 eastern lowlands in captivity, (except for one male somewhere in the US.)

I must say I'm not much of a gorilla man, but this is what I've always heard.
    the male is a western lowland and came from artis. because he is infertile, he can easily be placed with another subspecies whithout risks.

18. Pertinax

yes, victoria and amahoro are the only 'eastern' gorillas anywhere in captivity. The male in the US died a few years ago. Photos I've seen of Amohoro don't seem to be typical of either the Eastern lowland or mountain races though...

Yes, Kumba is unfortunately either infertile or a non-mater(or both?) so can be kept with these females safely. There isn't any future really for them though.:(

19. Kifaru Bwana

That is not entirely true I am afraid! Both in Rwanda and Congo there are orphanages where either eastern lowland or mountain gorillas are nursed. At least in Rwanda both females would be in the right setting.

I acknowledge that the mountain gorilla suggestions are superficial, but as Pertinax mentioned it all stems from the hazy provenance history of Amahoro. I am not entirely sure if ever there had been any DNA-testing on the current 3 gorillas (as in Victoria, Amahoro and Mukisi - the latter has died).

Since, Antwerpen Zoo is about the only zoo to have held eastern lowland gorillas for any amount of time, it would be interesting to know if they ever did research their gorillas this way.

20. Pertinax

sorry- I meant outside of Africa...

regarding DNA tests, they would probably show if Amohoro and Victoria are from different populations?