Join our zoo community

Planckendael Planckendael News 2021

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by zoofanbelgium, 1 Jan 2021.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The cold and wet spring weather of the last few weeks will probably have cost the lives of some stork chicks, so it remains to be seen whether it will be record year in terms of number of chicks. Although the article does suggest quite a few still survived. So I think it will still be a very good year for the stork colony.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you do the maths with 2-3 youngsters on average ..., that would mean around 200 young white storks added to the wild population.

Speaking of inclement weather and its effects on white stork chicks - a known quantity in early death(s) of chicks certainly in the first critical weeks -, would it not be a factoring in element that Planckendael thru its siting and convenient well established nutritional base might favour the white storks ....?

4. KevinB

As I took a day off today and the weather was (finally) really good, I decided to spend a few hours at Planckendael.

I saw several stork nests with 2 or 3 now already fairly large chicks on them, so I don't think it is going to be a bad stork year despite the wet and cold weather.

Some other updates:
    • The former red fox and European badger exhibit in the European area was being demolished. The moat was already dry and all fencing as well as the den building had already been removed, and the walls of the exhibit were being torn down. I do not know whether this is to make space for something new or whether the area is just going to be empty after this.
    • New educational signage on the waldrapp has been placed on the windows of the former beaver den. The waldrapp now seem to be the only inhabitants of the European aviary. I'm not sure whether there are any owls left in there, but if there are they are not signed.
    • In the Australian waterfront aviary the beds and banks of the creek were redone with red gravel.
    • The area of and near the wallaby/emu viewing area also had new red gravel applied.
    • The exhibit next to the mountain bongos now held a single addax. The last slender-horned gazelle now lives with an Arabian oryx in the paddock opposite the hyenas.
    • Although all avian influenza control measures have now also been lifted for professional holders, the flying birds have still not returned to the South American aviary. Perhaps because of the breeding season? The black-necked swan cygnets did show themselves well, and close to the visitor area as well.
    • Also some wildlife sightings: a pair of nesting barn swallows underneath the roof structure above the giraffe savanna viewing area, a red squirrel on the terrace near the African playground, a red fox on the forested embankment of the railroad, just outside the perimeter fence near the bongo paddock, and a pair of Egyptian geese with offspring in the prairie exhibit.

Choco115, Kifaru Bwana, kiang and 2 others like this.
  5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wonder what their intentions are with the European part of Planckendael?

I am really sad to see it go as I always thought this European continent exhibit seemed to signify alluding the importance to (also) conserve local, while acting global (in conservation ex situ and in situ). I surely find a good few European zoos severely lacking in exhibiting European fauna and those of conservation interest and present these in innovative ways to the general public (and keep them in the public eye).

No badgers, no fox, no owls, no wolves, no hamster, no otter, no beaver .... no red deer ... anymore (sorry, it has been a good 2+ years now since I last had the joy of visiting Planckendael ....!)?

Antoine and KevinB like this.
  6. KevinB

Only one of the exhibits is currently being torn down (the former badger and fox exhibit). The badger is now in the former raccoon exhibit. But with the beaver having passed away and only waldrapp still in the aviary, the species selection has declined ever further.

You are right that the European area would be ideal to educate about the importance of conserving local and regional European wildlife, if only it were better developed and didn't stand out as much as a sore thumb compared to the other continental areas. I really hope that the area will one day be redeveloped and improved, but I don't know what their intentions with the area are and sadly any plans won't be happening anytime soon.

I would love if there could be some small-scale developments in the near future to at least do something positive with the area, but I'm not holding out huge hope right now to be honest.

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. KevinB

Small addition to my update from yesterday, and something I forgot until I was sorting out my pictures: the walkway next to the giraffe house has had particle board put on top of the pre-existing boards, some of which were in bad shape. It does not seem like a permanent solution though, as particle board is generally not suitable long-term for outdoor applications.

8. KevinB

Today the Gazet van Antwerpen newspaper published an interview with Royal Zoological Society of Antwerp director Dries Herpoelaert. The article did not contain any major news, but did contain an update on the orangutan project at Planckendael, which was postponed/canceled due to Covid-19. This project will be restarted at the end of this year. Whether the project will go ahead as originally planned, with a new structure in front of the existing Asian greenhouse, the article did not say and thus will remain to be seen.

And on a different note: the consultative committee of Belgian governments has decided to allow the reopening of the indoor facilities and exhibits in zoos from June 9th.

9. KevinB

10. KevinB

11. KevinB

After Planckendael's 7 alpacas moved to the former dromedary camel exhibit at Zoo Antwerpen, their paddock has been merged with the adjacent guanaco and capybara exhibits, thus resulting in a new mixed species exhibit at Planckendael.

While I do not dislike this change, I am still a bit disappointed they didn't bring in a new interesting South American species. But maybe the larger area will still offer that option at some point in the future.

12. KevinB

Earlier this week Zoo Planckendael communicated on Facebook that during the summer holidays of July and August, when schools are out, membercard holders will also have to make reservations again at all times, including on week days.

Starting tomorrow, July 1st, face masks will no longer be mandatory outdoors in the zoo, unless social distancing cannot be maintained at all times, and will only be mandatory inside the buildings.

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. KevinB

Kifaru Bwana, Antoine and Jungle Man like this.
  14. KevinB

The cinereous vultures have been named Winston and Wilma.

Two more Cape porcupines were born recently.

Kifaru Bwana and Antoine like this.
  15. KevinB

16. KevinB

An article about developments at Planckendael was recently published in a regional Belgian newspaper, and also discussed at the Laafsekikkers.

Unfortunately the article itself is only for subscribers, but I have linked it below anyway, as I did with the Laafsekikkers forum page with the main discussion.

Planckendael vernieuwt park, werken aan orang-oetanverblijf opnieuw gestart: “Comfort voor dieren én bezoekers verbeteren”

Nieuwstopic Zoo Planckendael (2021) - Pagina 7 - Laafsekikkers.be

The developments in the short term include the following (I have also added some of my own thoughts/questions):
    • The construction of the orangutan, gibbon and crested macaque exhibits in the area including the Asian greenhouse and surrounding areas has started again with preparatory works. They are hoping to finish this project by summer 2022, but it is not certain when orangutans will be available as the originally planned animals have since been assigned to other zoos (it is not clear to me from the article though, whether they will be realizing the original plans including a new orangutan building or will be constructing the exhibits in and around the existing greenhouse).
    • The area with the totem pole in front of the entrance to the Australian zone will be paved, as will the main road from the entrance to this area, to increase visitor comfort. This area will become the central zone to chose which continental zone visitors want to go to. To improve visitor flow a second path will also be added to have a path to and from the zoo.
    • The roof of the giraffe house and viewing lodge are being renovated, they expect this to be finished by late October. The walkway in the area will also be renovated. The giraffes will remain visible when outdoors.
    • The large South American aviary will undergo further, definitive repair work (hopefully allowing the return of some birds like the ibis and Inca terns?).
    • Renovation work on the elephant viewing lodge.
    • Renovation of the antelope and ostrich house and paddocks. They want to continue the theme of the Barbary macaque exhibit further into this area, and to add a new road to improve visibility of the animals. This project is expected to start later this year and to be completed by Easter 2022.
    • In the Australian area the cassowary paddocks and the former wombat exhibit (now housing a dusky pademelon) will be renovated, the latter depending on which animals will be available to be housed there (aside from the pademelon?). The Australian zone will remain accessible.
    Some long-term developments were also discussed:
    • They are studying the construction of a new ticket office and member services building.
    • The old aviaries in the American area will be replaced by a large aviary.
    • They want to add large predators to the European area, possibly wolves, although bears were also looked at. This won't happen for some years and does not seem to have been completely decided yet.
    A "wildlife viewing wall", with wildlife feeders in front of it, was already added in the European zone earlier this summer (and according to a post at Laafsekikkers the feeders already seem to be working at attracting wildlife).

I'm happy to hear that it is again possible to do developments and projects, regardless of what they may be. And some of these developments are definitely welcomed by me.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2021
  17. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana and KevinB like this.
  18. KevinB

Two Asiatic lion (Panthera leo persica) were born recently, mother is Lorena and father is Jari. They will remain in the nest for about 8 more weeks before being allowed to slowly explore the outdoor exhibit. The gender of the cubs is not yet known and will be determined at their first medical check-up.

DPG Media Privacy Gate

JurassicMax, Kifaru Bwana and Antoine like this.
  19. KevinB

I was recently checking Planckendael's website and noticed that not only reservations are no longer required, face masks are also no longer mandatory in the park, not even in the buildings or the restaurants (they are not legally required to have such a rule anymore either, unless the town makes them keep it). Visitors are still asked to keep 1.5 meters of distance, but given that the capacity barometer on the website has also been removed, I doubt the visitor capacity in the park is still limited somewhat, if at all. Also people aren't really following that rule well anymore, anywhere.

I am kind of glad for the park to see much of the Covid protocols go away, but on the other side I am also questioning how safe I would feel visiting, especially on busier days. But I really want to visit again soon because I haven't been there for a few months and there are some developments/construction sites that have recently started that I would like to document.

Last edited: 5 Oct 2021
    StoppableSan and twilighter like this.
  20. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

Planckendael has started again with the constructionwork for the orang-utan project (summer 2022). The original plans are changed according to the rumours (however the zoo hasn't confirmed new plans at this moment). One thing is sure, they still use the former tropical-house next to the restaurant. In attachment some pictures of the current situation.

Furter in the park we see a new (straw)roof on the giraffe-stable. Next to the barbary macaque we see the foundation for a new antilope-stable (the old buildings are no longer in a great condition).

Attached Files: