Join our zoo community

Planckendael Planckendael News 2022

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by KevinB, 5 Jan 2022.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I visited Planckendael yesterday and here are some updates.

I will first give the general park updates, then the construction updates.
    As far construction updates go, this is what I have.

The orangutan project construction is continuing very actively. They were pouring concrete on the restaurant side, a new road is being constructed and the first new trees and bamboo have been planted.

I took photos both a ground level and from the tree-top walk structure this time.

Construction is also continuing in the Australian area. It is difficult to see what is exactly being done, but sadly it seems to be they are constructing some type of new playground structure above/in the pond, between the kangaroo exhibit and the cassowary exhibits. I also saw a wooden pole structure that I have no idea of what it will be. Unfortunately the pictures I got of these renovations are not very good and do not say a lot.

With regards to the new antelope house there seems to be little visible progress lately. I did however notice that the trench plates in the former wildebeest and oryx paddock had been removed and that some more old fences seem to have been removed. I also saw some large ducts, of the type possibly used for ventilation or heating, near the cheetah exhibits, so possibly interior construction is still ongoing.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2022
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great update @KevinB. Thanks for posting. The orangutan exhibit looks impressive so far. I look forward to seeing the finished result.

KevinB likes this.
  3. KevinB

Thank you for you comment and your likes. I did add a few more images of the rail and the callitrichid exhibits.

I am also quite exhibit for the finished version of the project, it does look like the entire will be fairly large. The individual island don't seem huge to me, the climbing structures however look impressive.

Kifaru Bwana, Perseus6 and Zoofan15 like this.
  4. Perseus6

Perseus6 Well-Known Member

To me the only thing that worries me is the size of the enclosures. Especially with the return of the Gibbons and the Crested black macaques. I really loved what has been done with the Bonobo enclosure but I'm worried about the size of the enclosure for the orangutans. But I'm exited to see it finished. The climbing structures do look great.

Thanks for the updates!

Kifaru Bwana, StoppableSan and KevinB like this.
  5. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Recently 7-year old female Nepalese red panda (Ailurus fulgens) Piia arrived from Zoo Saarbrücken to accompany the already present male.

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Planckendael (03/04/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb4aT5VNTX7/

6. KevinB

Some updates again, this time from my visit on April 12th 2022.

Orangutan project construction site

This project is continuing well. The new wooden walkway and visitor area have been opened and it is now becoming clear there will be two large islands, one on the elephant side and one between the restaurant and the greenhouse, presumably for the orangutans, and two smaller islands, presumably for the black crested macaques and the white-handed gibbons, between the two large islands, roughly where the front entrance of the greenhouse used to be.

New species

I saw a pair of mallards (Anas platyrhynchos) in the European aviary. I did not see the Eurasian wigeons, but did see the northern shovelers. The mallard ducks were unsigned. I'm not sure where they came from or whether they are permanent residents. I haven't often seen captive mallards so far, perhaps because wild ones fairly regularly appear in zoos. In the European aviary I also did not see the avocets, which were still signed as well as signed in the African aviary (perhaps they will keep two groups or will be moving them again).

The Hartmann's mountain zebras have moved to Planckendael from Antwerp as they did not get along with the rhinos there. Antwerp instead plans to get Grant's zebras. I did not see the zebras yet, but there were plastic ribbons on the fencing for their introductions. The zebras were already signed under the covered viewing area next to the giraffe stable, but not on the opposite side. The sign for addax had been removed near the stable, but was still present on the opposite side. They might not be mixing the zebras will also currently present species, but I do surely hope we will not see the addaxes go. Perhaps they could be moved to the new antelope house (the construction of which does not seem to be progressing anymore, unfortunately).

A pair of Blue-headed macaws (Primolius couloni) was added to one of the old American aviaries, they are mixed with Guira cuckoos.

Small changes

The giant anteater indoor exhibit had more privacy added in the form of a window decal with small viewing circles.

Several new duck nesting baskets were added to the Australian waterfront aviary. That aviary also seemed more barren and sandy and less grassy than usual, even at this time of the year. I'm not sure whether is deliberate or an artefact of weather conditions.

New willow wicker huts were placed in the Emu, Red kangaroo and Swamp wallaby exhibit. The swamp wallabies were separated from the emus and kangaroos in the smaller part of the exhibit, next to the Tasmanian devils. There seemed to be some conflict going on between the emus and the kangaroos.

Between the two wisent barns I saw a vicuña in the off-show part of the Bactrian camel paddock.

The Bactrian camel bull seemed to be quite interested in one of the cows.

I saw some African spoonbills and sacred ibises, presumably temporarily moved out of the African waterfront aviary, in some of the off-show aviaries that can be seen across the stream from the Australian area. There are actually some birds in the African waterfront aviary again now, but only three species (crane, avocet and white-faced whistling ducks). The purple herons, cattle egrets and night herons were still in the exhibits I previously mentioned them being kept in.

Oceania area renovations

An update map was added under the entrance arch.

An outback vehicle, with some Tasmanian devil artwork, was added near the Tasmanian devil exhibit as part of the area's theming.

The former echidna exhibit and the former main wombat/pademelon exhibit were removed. The former second wombat/pademelon exhibit has now become the echidna exhibit, with a new indoor exhibit and viewing window. A fish food dispenser with some theming was placed where a viewing window used to be. Personally I am a bit disappointed they didn't go further with renovating this area and did not add new species, and in fact removed the pademelon, which returned to Antwerp.

A new visitor walkway and play area were constructed above the pond, allowing viewing of the two main renovated double-wattled cassowary exhibits. I really like this new walkway and the upgraded cassowary exhibits, these are definitely nice. The giant cassowary viewing point that used to stand at the edge of the pond was moved to the side of the second and third cassowary exhibits, near the Australian terrarium house. Personally I am a bit disappointed though they did not include an upgrade of the terrarium house in these renovations.

The koala viewing area was also renovated, but unfortunately the glare on the windows has not really improved and perhaps even worsened. I think it would be helpful if they fully closed up the side wall with boards.

Wildlife and free-ranging animals

I saw two common wood pigeons bathing next to branches in the middle of the (currently unoccupied because of avian influenza) pelican pond, with a great cormorant sitting right nearby. Quite an unusual sight.

Another unusual sight was a white stork foraging in an open forest area near the wildlife feeding and nesting area.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I certainly do hope they hold on to addax ... darn being the most critically endangered large antilope of North Africa. I feel they have a role to play in the Dama gazelle antiquorum giraffe red necked ostrich story.

Antoine and KevinB like this.
  8. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The addax is kept in 57 ZTL zoos

9. Kifaru Bwana

Beside the point made. Planckendael specifically created an exhibit for North African focal species. Addax are not numerous in the wild.

Antoine and KevinB like this.
  10. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are many addax in captivity. Why aren't some of them being introduced into the wild?

11. KevinB

57 zoos within the countries covered by ZTL (so discounting the USA) certainly does not mean the addax is rare under human care, but that does not change my opinion in this case, as I personally have a special fondness for the species and would like to see it stay. And them being fairly common under human care does not mean they should not be a focal species for conservation and education, given the state of the wild population.

As Kifaru aready said, Planckendael's savanna put a focus on northern African species, which is less common in zoos, and it would be a bit sad to see that go away with the addition of Hartmann's mountain zebras, however cool that last species may be.

From a bit of quick digging there are actually some reintroduction projects ongoing, but not with much involvement of European zoos.

Saint Louis Zoo Participates in Reintroduction of Addax in Chad
    The genetics of reintroduced addax populations in Tunisia: the first year of the project - Marwell Zoo
    https://www.researchgate.net/public...global_management_plan_Year_1_progress_report

I also have a few updates from my previous post:
    • At the Laafsekikkers someone mentioned that the red kangaroos at Planckendael (still present on April 12th) are going to be replaced by Eastern grey kangaroos. In the same post the person also mentioned the birth of three Australian wood ducks and nesting black-necked swans, black-faced, northern bald and straw-necked ibises, Eurasian spoonbills and pied imperial pigeons.
      Nieuwstopic Zoo Planckendael (2022) - Pagina 9 - Laafsekikkers.be
    • The pigeons I mentioned as bathing in my previous post turned out not to be common wood pigeons as I originally said, but stock doves (Columba oenas). According to the person of the post mentioned above a pair is nesting in the roof construction of the giraffe house

Antoine likes this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

Addax reintroduction: there has been a fair bit of individual animals transferred out to projects in North Africa from Europe in preceding years.

That said, I would welcome more projects come on stream and that focus changes from ex situ conservation breeding to a mixed ex situ and in situ release schemes (in countries not yet covered .... like Mali, Mauritania, Senegal, Sudan, Libya (not realistic now) and parts of Niger (outside Toumna/Termit).

Dassie rat and KevinB like this.
  13. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was the one who mentioned it but they were not to be replaced because they are replaced allready. I saw tho grey kangaroos and the species info panel was also the new one.

KevinB likes this.
  14. zoofanbelgium

The 20 year old lioness Kolya has been put to sleep due to age related problems.

JurassicMax likes this.
  15. KevinB

Asian elephant bull Kanvar will be transferred to another zoo in a few months, crate training has started. Apparently he is not sufficiently imposing to the females Kai-Mook and May-Tagu to achieve successful breeding, which the studbook keeper desires to do as soon as possible with those two females. There is not yet a concrete selection of a replacement bull.

Olifantenruil op til in Planckendael: Kanvar dan toch niet droomvent voor Kai-Mook

JurassicMax and Elephantelephant like this.
  16. zoofanbelgium

The mountain zebra's are on display now. They are first mixed with the Mhorr gazelles.

KevinB and JurassicMax like this.
  17. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A Bonobo has escaped:

Bonobo escapes enclosure leading to evacuation of Belgian zoo

A bonobo, an endangered great ape, escaped its enclosure in ZOO Planckendael in Mechelen on Friday, resulting in the evacuation of the entire zoo.

The ape caused a commotion when it was reported missing. It was quickly seen sitting in a tree outside bonobo island, where the creatures are kept. ZOO Planckendael said in a statement that it immediately activated the emergency plan for safety reasons.

JurassicMax likes this.
  18. KevinB

According to recent updates it is bonobo Zamba, and the animal has been safely recaptured and returned to the exhibit by tranquilizing it with medication in a banana.

Bonobo Samba veilig en wel weer in zijn verblijf
    Ontsnapte bonobo zit weer veilig in zijn verblijf in Planckendael

I hope they will find out how this happened as soon as possible and be able to resolve it. I also really hope this will not have serious consequences for the park, as it has seen some escapes in past years also.

StoppableSan and JurassicMax like this.
  19. KevinB

Bonobo Zamba's escape resulted from an adreline-fueled seven meter jump over the moat after a fight with other members of the group (of which Zamba is the lowest-ranking male). Apparently he did something similar years ago when he still lived at Apenheul.

All bonobos will remain indoors (but visible) until Monday.

They will be looking into whether any changes to the exhibit will be needed, but this not seem like an easy one to quickly fix.

Bonobo Zamba ontsnapte (niet eerste keer) met indrukwekkende sprong van zeven meter

20. KevinB

Jana and JurassicMax like this.