Join our zoo community

Planet of the radioactive wolves

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by DavidBrown, 26 Apr 2016.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is the 30th anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster and an area of the Ukraine larger than the state of Rhode Island is uninhabitable by humans.

Some species like wolves have rebounded in population numbers, which seems encouraging from a conservation perspective. However there is also now scientific documentation that much of the biota has been and will continue to be detrimentally affected by radiation from the nuclear accident.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-captures-a-wildlife-wonderland/?tid=pm_pop_b

2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I was quite surprised about the Bison and Przewalski's Horse being there.
    From what I can find from a quick google, the Horses were introduced in the 80s and 90s, and I imagine the Bison were introduced there at some point too.

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have you visited the area?

4. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I haven't unfortunately, no, though it would be pretty cool to do so.
    I see that the wording of my initial statement implied that I was talking from experience, but I meant that I was surprised to see those things in the article you linked (in the picture gallery at the bottom).

I have seen wild Bison in the Bialowieza Forest in Poland though, which was awesome.

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On German televison there was a very intresting docu about the wildlife 30 years after the disaster and it showed both the Wild horses and the European bisons and metioned both were released at this site. I was also wondering whythey released endangered species in an radio-active area....