Join our zoo community

Planet Zoo Planet Zoo!

Discussion in 'Zoo Games & Simulators' started by TNT, 24 Apr 2019.

1. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

It's funny you say that, because people found out about the game when Frontier registered a trademark for Planet Safari.

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Haha, I didn't know that. Kinda makes sense though for how big some of the space requirements are. Polar Bear was like five times the recommended AZA size, which was already pretty large! (And I calculated that after they decreased it!)

3. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Yeah, This way we can see how a big amount of animals can live pretty well in way smaller exhibits than what the game tells us. This also leaves me worried about a future aviary Dlc, once while building a smaller "aviary" kind of exhibit these days, I've realized the game's mechanics have trouble in identifiying exhibits that have a common zoo realistic aviary size. I just hope they don't force us to give a gigantic dome for each bird if this pack actually comes true one day...

4. Great Argus

A good indication will be the highly colonial penguins and the dwarf Caiman in the pack releasing tomorrow. Penguins like company, and so if exhibit size increases considerably per animal that's not a good sign. I believe the AZA standard for King is 9 sq feet per bird after the first six birds.
    The caiman is usually kept in pretty small exhibits, realistically you could keep a pair in 10'x20'. They're sluggish usually and don't tend to move a lot. I've seen a single individual in a 5'x10 half moon.

5. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

We want aviaries, but the truth is that all birds in captivity or in nature, unless they're small and searching for food, tend to not fly too much because it costs a lot of energy. I think that the difficult part to program is the "height" requirement to make them fly if they want, the roof requirement to not make them fly away and the walkable terrain

6. red river hog

It should be pretty similar to swimming, though, right?

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  7. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If I'm trying to build realistic exhibits, I stick to sandbox and turn off welfare - it's just hard to get realistic sized exhibits for some of the animals in franchise.

My aquatic dlc is just about to finish it's download, I'm excited to play! :)

8. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Want to play now, but my computer is taking its sweet time to download the update lol.

9. TheMightyOrca

If full flight can't be worked out, maybe they could offer smaller aviaries as exhibits, rather than habitats. They could have bigger birds just as ground habitat animals. (though I would like full flight and aviaries if they can pull it off!)

10. BongoHardwood

BongoHardwood Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi guys, if you haven’t yet seen it all, here’s a guide looking all the new bits in the new Aquatic DLC + Update 1.4 including animals, foliage and construction items!

11. ZPA

ZPA Well-Known Member

Here are what all the animals look like. I think they all look absolutely stunning. What are you guys think of the models? 20201208173834_1.jpg 20201208173739_1.jpg 20201208173639_1.jpg 20201208173518_1.jpg

12. red river hog

ZPA likes this.
  13. Great Argus

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  14. ZPA

ZPA Well-Known Member

The youtuber uploaded the map to the workshop, and I took screenshots from there

Great Argus likes this.
  15. red river hog

3:45 is the highlight of this video.

BongoHardwood likes this.
  16. TheMightyOrca

The new animals look great! The caiman space requirements were small enough for them to fit into the exhibit I built, so I'm happy about that. I made a simple exbibit with underwater viewing for the otters. I plan on trying the seals soon and I'd like that exhibit to be a little more ambitious. Lots of rocks. The terrapin exhibit is lovely, I hope we get more like that in the future.

17. Great Argus

Very much agreed! Some other semiaquatic herps would be great for those. Or even aquatic... looks at giant salamanders...

TheMightyOrca likes this.
  18. TheMightyOrca

Lol I'm annoyed that we don't have any salamanders yet!

I want to play more tonight but I get motion sickness from playing video games. (don't know why PZ triggers it... Maybe if I darken the screen?) If I don't have time to work on my zoo tomorrow I'll be off again on Thursday. I want to finish my wolf exhibit and then get to the seals!

Great Argus and red river hog like this.
  19. ZPA

ZPA Well-Known Member

I've fallen in love with the seals, they're my new favorite animal in the game 20201209181618_1.jpg

20. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

Really cute :oops::oops:! Looking forward to the addition of other pinnipeds in the game, hopefully we'll see the Californian Sea Lion in the future near future:)

Great Argus and red river hog like this.