Join our zoo community

Planning a trip to Chester Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Charlie Simmomds, 4 Jan 2017.

1. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello everyone, I've been busy the last few months trying to plan a trip to Chester zoo with my school, and I've looked at the website but I still want to know a little bit more, if I do get to go. So I need a hand, what tips do you have for me, anythings I should be weary of, and most of all, what you think I should see you know hidden gems and such not just the big hitters. (I know this may be a trip for teenagers who most couldn't care less about a golden mantella or a bali starling, but I want them to see the wonders nature and Chester have to offer. )So any tips for a school trip would be most appreciated!

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The first thing I would advise is not going as a group trip - you'd have a far better day with less people to keep happy (Imo)

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I reckon that you have already thought of the obvious things, but I'll put them here in any case.
    Hope for good weather :) plan for bad weather :(
    If it's an educational visit, build in some tasks to follow on from curriculum work (in one or more subjects - doesn't matter which) and/or to be followed up back at school. Individualised tasks would be excellent: some choice for students would be good.
    Link up with zoo's education dept. They may have some materials that might be good for your party (but don't bank on it ;)). They may be able to tell you about feeding times - the carnivores are best, hunting dogs (not every day), bush dogs, giant otters and jags as well as lions and tigers.
    The baby elephant will appeal, but hope for more cute infants before you visit.

4. Charlie Simmomds

Thank you both! My year has 180 students but we plan to take no more than 30 so the size of a normal class, it should be in the summer near to the baby boom and after we all finish school as we are year 11's doing GCSE's so I doubt it'll be an educational trip in that respect though they will learn a lot! I plan to do stuff though listing down species, and noting down developments to tell you guys! I am hoping it's another baby boom year for the zoo but hopefully 2 baby elephants, a giraffe calf and orang young should stimulate the group who I realise won't like the smaller animals much but I want them to see everything we can in a day! Do you propose any particular route I've always done a circle Round from the elephants and finishing to the rhinos so clockwise. Is that a good idea or not? You lot will know much better than me! Also I hope I can visit not long after another zoo chatter in the hopes they can update us on most things!

5. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My advice is not to plan the life out of everything. Yes, a theme or some general pointers, but exploring is a great part of the fun of visiting somewhere like Chester Zoo. Where, to be honest, you can't go wrong if you have a day there. :)

Charlie Simmomds likes this.
  6. BlackRhino78

BlackRhino78 Well-Known Member

Just arrive early so you see everything is all i would say and just enjoy your day :)

7. Charlie Simmomds

Thank you two, I plan to be there for 10 am or just before or after!

8. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend staying the whole day from opening to closing. That way you will have enough time to do everything and recap your favorites.