Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Planning a Visit

Discussion in 'United States' started by Shellheart, 11 Aug 2018.

1. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hello all,
    I am planning to visit the Smithsonian National Zoo in the near future and was hoping for some advice/tips. I've been to relatively few zoos (Los Angeles Zoo, the two San Diego Zoo facilities, Aquarium of the Pacific and SeaWorld San Diego), and was wondering if there were any "can't-miss" species in DC that I would not be able to see in San Diego, Long Beach, or LA (I tend to favor birds and mammals, however, I'm aware that the majority of their bird collection is not on-exhibit currently.) I will have the entire day available to me.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe the zoos common opposum is the only one on display in the U.S, so you might wanna try and see her (though she's probably gonna be sleeping in her box). Other than that, I don't think the zoo has any can't miss species.

Shellheart likes this.
  3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Also the only red-bellied/coppery (can't remember which) titi monkey in the country. That species is in Amazonia along with several birds. Another rare primate are the red-tailed monkeys at the Think Tank.

In addition the opossum, the Small Mammal House has several species that I don't think you can see or easily see in Southern California, like tamandua, armadillo, sand cat, and Von der Decken's hornbill. Not to mention Prevost's squirrels at every turn :p

TinoPup and Shellheart like this.
  4. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, it was coppery, wasn’t in Amazonia, and wasn’t the only one in the country :p it spent the last few years of its life in the Small Mammal House, and white-eared is now in Amazonia. The coppery passed away either early this year or late last. Two other zoos with one that I know of: Santa Ana and Metro Richmond.

5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So many Prevost's! Definitely spend some time in the small mammal house. Shame you'll be missing the aviary. Beyond that, they don't have much that's rare or particularly outstanding, other than the elephants and the pinniped exhibit. Their new bull elephant, Spike, is likely the largest in the country and tends to be affectionate with his girls.

I know you mentioned liking mammals and birds, but if you have a chance, go to the national aquarium in Baltimore; they have a lot of rare amphibians, in particular.

6. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For this trip, I only have 3 days, so I am strictly going to DC for the Smithsonian zoo and museums, as I am going with my (very slow) family. I definitely do hope to visit the National Aquarium someday, though, and I do enjoy amphibians. I am definitely interested in the small mammal house, primarily for the sand cat.

7. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

There was a debate in the past about which species it was and I couldn't remember the final verdict. And hmm, it seems there was a miscommunication between us in the Smithsonian thread then. Recently when I asked about the "lone remaining titi" in Amazonia, I was actually asking if the last coppery was still alive as I thought that both individuals were of that species. In that case, I guess the answer was no. Why is there only one white-eared titi in Amazonia then? And did the coppery used to live in Amazonia, because the individual I was seeing in the past looked like a coppery to me? Maybe the species aren't as visually distinct as I thought they were.

The news about the other two zoos is surprising also, because I have never heard of either zoo holding that species. UC Davis had a colony of coppery titis as recently as 2016 and it's possible that zoos could acquire monkeys from them. When did you or someone else see coppery at Santa Ana? I visited in 2016 or 2017 and don't remember seeing any. As for Richmond, they hold a ton of primates so I'm actually not that surprised.

8. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes they were in Amazonia before the last one was moved to the Small Mammal house. I believe after he (or was it was she?) moved the zoo moved the goeldi's monkeys to the Amazonia, before finally getting the white-eared titis.

There were two, but I believed one died. I actually remember seeing two after it was said one died, but in my most recent I've only ever seen one, so it's probably just been the one the whole time and I misremembered.

Edit: Actually the dusky titi and the goeldi's monkeys might've been at the Amazonia together.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2018
  9. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The second white-eared passed away, although I don’t remember the cause. Coppery used to be in Amazonia, but not since sometime in 2016, I think.

@ThylacineAlive saw Santa Ana’s titis this year I think. However I read a press release from several years back saying they had the species. Richmond has at least 6 of them, and Santa Ana a pair I think.

10. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah Santa Ana has them in the enclosure that used to hold Nancy Ma's Night-Monkey.

The species is pretty common in Europe (at least in the UK) as well.

~Thylo

StoppableSan likes this.