Join our zoo community

Planten un Blomen, Hamburg

Discussion in 'Germany' started by MJB, 1 Oct 2019.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As far as I know in Planten un Blomen, Hamburg, Germany, there have been several zoological sections: a Zoo (between 1863 and 1930), a Terrarium (which closed around 1980) and now there is a section with aquariums. I understand that the Zoo was an independent collection (with a different entrance from the rest of the park). The Terrarium also had an independent entrance from the rest of the park ?; And the current Aquarium ?. Can anyone tell me the address as exact as possible, within Planten un Blomen, the Zoo, the Terrarium and the Aquarium?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The aquarium is located in the greenhouse complex (Tropengewächshäuser) in the eastern part of the park, close to the Dammtor station as well as the Radisson Blu hotel. I can't help you with the terrarium. I read about the old zoo on a sign when I visited in 2016, but I'm not sure if I took a photo of that sign. Will try to look...

If you're interested in their other animals, they also had a few North American turtle species in the park lakes, some goldfish in the greenhouse ponds, and of course koi in the Japanese garden when I visited in 2016.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you very much