Join our zoo community

planting in zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by callum, 7 Aug 2013.

1. callum

callum Well-Known Member

hello everyone :)
    I just felt curious to ask, since I am a gardener and like to grow plants (preferably rare and exotic ones) what plants do you like to see in zoos, either from the same habitat or continent as the animals or to set a scene and look nice also are any of you on here gardeners and like to grow plants, if so what do you like to grow

2. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

Well I dont care where the plants are from they just have to create a believable atmosphere. Like in congo gorilla forest at the Bronx Zoo all the plants are able to survive in cold weather but they still look like an african rainforest.

3. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

callum i
    I have been a professional gardener for nearly 36 years, my favourites are hostas, ferns and white lilies, but i love nearly all the other plants too, it depends upon the planting. I don't like prairie planting so much as I think it quickly looks messy.My training was in a aprks department and we didn't do messy;)
    dean

4. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wouldnt know one plant from another and have no preference about plants in zoos as long as there is plenty of them.