Join our zoo community

Exotic Zoo Exotic Zoo news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by cliffxdavis, 3 Oct 2018.

1. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

birdsandbats likes this.
  2. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Probably the only chance of seeing an Emperor Penguin in the UK judging by that picture lol.

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As it happens I've recently visited (in the company of @cliffxdavis funnily enough) and I thoroughly enjoyed my visit, some unusual species in some very well designed enclosures, there is nothing terrible here currently... But I'm really not sure about penguins in that particular enclosure.

On a personal note the staff are extremely friendly, and I actually brought a fridge magnet. There's also a very decent farm shop sharing the car park which does a wide selection of fine ales and ciders. :D

4. ISOE

ISOE Active Member

The enclosure isn’t particularly great. There isn’t a lack of penguins and I’ve heard there is reluctance to give them to this place because of the enclosure.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2019
  5. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

We visited this little place on the way home from a brief zooing roadtrip this weekend just gone. Still no penguins - reasoning from the keeper was essentially that they are way down the surplus list and following the avian malaria outbreak there is not a lot of surplus available to begin with. From our visit I can see that they make most of their money from the experiences they offer so I can see why they would want penguins - but it is clearly not the best enclosure there and I wish they had opted for something else.

On the plus side I thought the other enclosures were well designed, the entrance fee very reasonable at £5 and the staff were excellent. Very informative & friendly and there were several opportunities to hold or get up close to the animals in a respectful way. We enjoyed our visit and would return if we are in the area again.

Brum and pipaluk like this.
  6. Ant

Ant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo is closing citing logistical reasons such as parking but is working with the council to move to a new site.

Brum likes this.
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dassie rat, pipaluk and Jungle Man like this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

@Angel when the Exotic Zoo reopens this year will visitors be aloud to visit,or will the attraction still be closed to the general public?

11. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When they re-open at their new site, they will be open to visitors :)

TNT likes this.
  12. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I just noticed that Exotic Zoo has been open since the end of July.

13. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

On the previous site?

pangolin12 likes this.
  14. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

No, it’s now in Telford town park

15. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I'll post a few photos later in the week. They opened early to try and raise funds, so there is still a lot of work going on, but it's looking good so far

TNT likes this.
  16. TNT

Oh yes, thank you... I do remember them having moved and sharing construction photos. Thanks again!

17. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

I was in Telford this weekend for an event, and Exotic Zoo was nearby so I paid a visit. A few things of note:
    - As far as design and layout it's not a bad little place, it's not the best small zoo I've visited but I do appreciate how much they try to do with what little they have, managing to do four distinct themed zones that each have something different going on.
    - A good number of species I've never seen before, like the black widow spiders in the Tropical House, Uromastyx in the Desert Zone, and foxes near the Nocturnal House, including a lovely black and grey fox. Sadly some species I was hoping to see, like the skunks, genets and kinkajous, were no-shows.
    - Each themed area had at least one keeper just standing around holding an animal, and they'd come up to you as you entered the zone and start telling you about it. In the Tropical House it was a girl with a tailless tenrec, then later a guy with a hissing cockroach, the Desert Zone had a guy with a Uromastyx, and the Nocturnal House had a girl with a lesser hedgehog tenrec.
    - The zoo will be getting capybaras soon, their enclosure is pretty much done, and it'll be the first thing you see as you enter the zoo. Parts of the wallaby enclosure were also blocked off while their new wallabies settled in, so you could only see the wallabies from one small section of their outdoor area.
    - The Tropical, Desert and Nocturnal Zones each have speakers playing a voice clip talking about each themed, with the narrator doing a bad David Attenborough impression. Also the front entrance where the kiosk and gift shop are had speakers playing this Hollywood movie style orchestral music for some reason.

Brum, pipaluk and TNT like this.
  18. Brum

I visited today (with the esteemed @cliffxdavis for company) and had a decent enough time, even if I wasn't exactly blown away by it. Quite a few species are absent from the new site that were previously held which include North American Porcupine, the bats and jerboas, Fennec Foxes, Fiji Banded Iguana, and also Alpacas and Ferrets from the domestics area. There's also no intention of getting penguins now, so now terribly small pool inhabited by garden statues... :p
    New stuff is limited to a Tailless Tenrec, Dwarf Mongoose, Azara's Agouti (mixed with Kinkajou), and, newly arrived as of yesterday, a trio of Capybara.
    Enclosure wise it's all done to a decent level but I do think the skunk and palm civet enclosures could do with being larger, and the snakes could use a bit of natural substrate. Being new there's a uniformity to the collection that I like, it definitely knows what it wants to be and it's doing just that. It clearly caters for families and experiences and it's doing just fine as it is, even if it wasn't particularly busy on a cold November afternoon. A couple of nice species make it a worthwhile stop for the enthusiast, but don't expect to spend too long there at all.

We had a guy with cockroach and a guy with a rabbit... Where was our tenrec petting oppotunities, huh? No justice in the world... ;):p

I get the feeling that they used the same guy who does the narration for the bird show at WILD! Zoological Park down the road. They sound awfully similar. and are both pretty bad impressions!

Also "Attenborough" today, no orchestral music for us. Think I'd have rather had the tunes myself... :p

twilighter and TNT like this.
  19. TNT

No "Zoo Beer"?

pipaluk, Brum and Themonkeyguy1 like this.
  20. Brum

Nope, generally don't have one nowadays unless there's an actual bar on site...! :eek: Didn't even pop into a pub in the town centre, which incidentally is quite nice. Not actually been into Telford town centre for many years so was surprised to see it in all of its above averageness! :D

TNT likes this.