Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park Platypus at San Diego Zoo Safari Park

Discussion in 'United States' started by Chlidonias, 17 Aug 2017.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I just get a black box on that link where the video should be.

I'm assuming it is this video which I found on Youtube:

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How hard are platypus to acquire for Australian zoos, MRJ? If you wanted to build a platypus exhibit at Moonlight would there be animals available, or is it a pretty closed system limited to the zoos that already have them?

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Nov 2019
    jayjds2 likes this.
  3. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Most animals in Australian zoos are wild caught, I am not aware of any inter-zoo transfers. It would be very difficult for us to acquire them that way as our local wildlife authorities are down on taking anything from the wild, while states where this is easier are unlikely to allow an interstate zoo to take them. We would therefore be reliant on a zoo breeding them for us, this is perhaps more possible as Taronga and Healesville get better at breeding them.

AnaheimZoo and ThylacineAlive like this.
  4. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Though I said this in the San Diego Zoo Safari Park News Thread.
    “I could imagine the huge crowds lining up to see the Platypus, the platypus has been popular in recent popular culture like Agent P from "Phineas and Ferb" and unlike the one in the show, the platypuses at the safari park really do much and are active since they are nocturnal and the lightning switches the day and night cycle for visitors to see them in action. Hopefully in Season 2 of The Zoo: San Diego, there will be an episode highlighting the platypuses.”

birdsandbats likes this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think the punctuation in the title should change from the three periods to an exclamation mark. We are no longer waiting and unsure, we are exited and amazed beyond belief!

AnaheimZoo, betsy and FunkyGibbon like this.
  6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

In all seriousness a title change might be a good idea - "Import of Platypus - from rumour to reality" perhaps......

7. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

"From rumor to surreality" might be more accurate.

TeaLovingDave and Ituri like this.
  8. Chlidonias

My original title was not good anyway! I have changed it now, but I tend to like titles which are clearly explanatory.

9. Chlidonias

10. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jambo, StoppableSan and Great Argus like this.
  11. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

12. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

That habitat looks amazing and I can’t wait to see it this Wednesday! I don’t have the best camera but will attempt to do my damn best to get good photos of their home and themselves of course :)

13. Julio C Castro

Was able to see the platypuses in person and they didn’t disappoint! Will look through my gallery to see what I can upload, most of the photos are too dark due no flash photography allowed which is more than understandable. Only a handful may have come out okay and even can see most of their body, they enjoyed their home and were constantly looking for food or embracing the waterfall :)

14. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How was the crowd?

15. Julio C Castro

It wasn’t too bad although there was always a crowd of about 13 to 15 people on average, was able to see them with a smaller group when I arrived at opening to the safari park :)

16. Julio C Castro

I uploaded a handful to the media page, I apologize for the not so good quality but I’m upgrading to a new camera setup next month :( They were so fun to watch, they brought joy to everyone who walked by to see them :)

17. Julio C Castro

I don’t know if this would be warranted but I’ll do a mini recap of what it was like there: there are a total of 3 pool areas, all connected via waterfalls and I believe tunnel systems. Was able to get some good photos from my phone of their habitat and despite appearing bright from what I uploaded, it’s a dark place and wouldn’t recommend for those who have impaired vision. Lights are placed along the rock walls and as well on the bottom of the pools, illuminating the platypus as they swim by. Logs were placed closer to the surface, allowing for them to rest when not swimming or wanting to pose for the camera. Tunnel systems are found along the rock walls, leading to their burrowing holes. Yabbies, one of their main source of nutrition, are found crawling around the exhibit. The platypuses loved their waterfalls, Eve in particular. Although not viewable from the public area, one of the volunteers mentioned to the visitors that they have an area behind called the Platio. The Platio is an area the platypuses can relax and have fun, as well as pick grassy vegetation to take back to their burrowing holes. Best recommendation would be to visit when the park opens due to slightly better lighting and less crowds :)

18. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Channel 4 in the UK are currently showing the Australian series Secrets of the Zoo: Down Under. Episode 2 (order as shown in the UK) looked a lot at the platypus export. Fascinating little animals!