Join our zoo community

Healesville Sanctuary Platypus biology and captive-breeding

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Kifaru Bwana, 30 Mar 2008.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I thought to start a thread on platypus biology and their history in captivity as well as any captive-breeding (as hard as that may be)!

Well, I guess you Aussies would have brought in out before ... (lol), but it seems Healesville Sanctuary has just had a double whammy. A world first second generation platypus birth and even more a twin at that. They were born in early February 2008 and have just been sighted outside their burrow.

Healesville's history with the breeding programme goes all the way back to 1933 and has build up a good record in breeding (which is far from simple as the platypus is quite particular on its habitat requirements. A state of the art breeding facility was built in 2005.

I guess you all know a little more on its history ... :D So, bring it on home!

Post scriptum: amazing that when you think of it the female invests a veritable 4 months into the incubation process before the eggs are due to hatch! Let us explore so more of the biology of this curious species!

2. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The new exhibit that they keep the second generation platypus' in is one of the strangest things that i've ever seen. Instead of dirt, mud or fake rock for its pools it has marbles laid in cement and all the burrows are white plastic pipes. But it is suprisingly nice to look at because it has all ferns planted around it and filled with plenty of other native species; like long necked turtles, some fish that i forget what they are called and water dragons.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I agree with Pat. The Healesville platypus exhibit is a bizarre-looking enclosure, and can be seen from far away due to large arches that go over the pools. However, the trickling water, usage of greenery, and wide viewing area all combine to create a pleasant exhibit for both animal and visitor.