Join our zoo community

Platypus in Sydney?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Hix, 25 Oct 2011.

1. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How is the platypus species doing in Australia? Does it have stable numbers over its range, or is there some conservation concern?

3. Jet

Jet Well-Known Member

I believe the platypus is doing very well compared to many Australian animals which seems to show how hardy it can be given its unique biology and considerable threats to many of its river habitats (due to regulation, over-extraction, pollution, weeds, introduced fish that disrupt aquatic ecosystems etc etc). They probably have reduced significantly in numbers since European settlement but there is insufficient data to prove levels of decline except that they have disappeared or are rare in some rivers. Nevertheless, its conservation status is not threatened as numbers have probably stabilised in recent times (or are at least not significanty reducing), some threats have gone (e.g. hunting), and comebacks are apparent in some rivers (although that may be partly due to extra survey effort). Others may know more exact details.

4. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Many years ago I lived at Appin [not too far from this] and platypi sightings were not uncommon in the Wollondilly River. Didn't hear of too many in the Georges River in those days.

In my travels up and down the east coast of Australia it is not uncommon to hear reports of platypus populations.