Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park Platypus at San Diego Zoo Safari Park

Discussion in 'United States' started by Chlidonias, 17 Aug 2017.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As much as I'd love that I somewhat doubt it. Bronx's newer collection plan focuses on animals from regions the WCS does conservation work in, and unfortunately Australia isn't one of those regions. They still keep and work with some Australian species (mostly turtles) but I can't see them devoting the time and funds into a Platypus exhibit over an exhibit for an endangered species they personally work with in the wild.

Out of other US zoos, I can see Omaha potentially going for them, seeing as they already have an enclosure for one.

~Thylo

Last edited: 1 Nov 2019
    Anniella and Brum like this.
  2. drill

drill Well-Known Member

so that means White-eared kob and Lechwe?

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. Merintia

Merintia Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No doubt I´ll be one of those zochatters :D. Platypus will still be very far from my place, but hopefully this first import will mean other zoos also will get them. Is a pity if EAZA is not interested on them, but I wonder if maybe some zoos will try to get them anyway. I can easily imagine Pairi Daiza being the next one on work for this species.

4. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Which exhibit was designed for playpus? I don't recall that! I would welcome that species at my home zoo!

5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I could see Columbus going for them as well. They don't have an enclosure but they have a have a nice Australian complex that would certainly draw visitors if Platypus was included.

6. john k

john k Member

Do NOT try to register if you weren’t invited. They are checking against their list and you would only be making extra work for them.

Arizona Docent and TeaLovingDave like this.
  7. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You can't tell that from the page. If it truly was invitation they wouldn't make it public. It sounds like !@BigNate found it on Google or something similar. In that case they are practically asking for more work.

8. ThylacineAlive

I believe the Freshwater Crocodile enclosure was originally designed for Platypus.

~Thylo

9. ThylacineAlive

Except nowhere does it say it's an open invitation. Correct me if I'm wrong but that page isn't accessible from the website, you need to be provided a link to see it. That would imply to me that this is something that was supposed to be shown to only a select number of people and then it got out. A private announcement that an exhibit is having an opening event is not a invitation for everyone online to suddenly request admission.

@Chlidonias is right, everyone is free to request an invite and the worst they'll do is say no, but I don't think it's correct to say they're asking for more work just because the public can see the page now.

~Thylo

14556 and Great Argus like this.
  10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They did NOT make it public. I don't know how someone found the link, but it is clearly meant to be private. It would be completely out of order for people to try to register because they saw the link here and I stand by my statement the link should not have been posted here in the first place.

betsy likes this.
  11. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Someone took the link posted by
    And tried to turn that link into a working one. Google redirected me to the link that’s been posted.

I don’t really care if the post gets deleted or not. The way I see it, everyone on this site who wanted to click on it has already done so.

12. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To fire up the rumor mill: I've heard that the platypus has (have?) already arrived on the 24th of October.

Merintia and Brum like this.
  13. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Could I ask what source did u hear it from? Also Do u have evidence to support ur rumor?

Last edited: 2 Nov 2019
  14. John Marchwick

I’ve been mostly staying out of this for the most part but personally I don’t think we were supposed to know about it but since anyone can view it I guess maybe we were? Also where on earth is the platypus exhibit located? When I was their in March I could not find the location of it whatsoever and does anyone know how big the exhibit is?

15. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In Walkabout Australia, in between the Kangaroo Walk and the tree-kangaroo exhibit. @DavidBrown uploaded this picture of it to the gallery: Platypus exhibit - ZooChat.

John Marchwick likes this.
  16. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@Batto works in the zoo industry, so I'd assume he heard it from a friend or colleague knowledgeable with the transfer.

John Marchwick and Batto like this.
  17. Batto

No, I made this up (including a very specific date) just to pull your very legs John...:rolleyes::p
    A well-known zoo enthusiast (you can see plenty of his pictures on zootierliste) mentioned this in a German zoo group on FB.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2019
    John Marchwick likes this.
  18. John Marchwick

Ok. Sorry about earlier. The way I send it earlier sounds kind of rude looking back

Batto likes this.
  19. Batto

More like in the periphery or in the shadows at the moment, to be honest. ;)

No worries, John.

TZDugong likes this.
  20. ThylacineAlive

To be fair I don't think it's rude to ask for a source of a rumor :p

Can't say I haven't heard similar, though, but I figured I'd wait to see if the zoo announced anything before reporting.

~Thylo