Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park Platypus at San Diego Zoo Safari Park

Discussion in 'United States' started by Chlidonias, 17 Aug 2017.

1. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When did Omaha try to obtain Platypus, and why were they unable to be obtained?

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nobody has been able to obtain platypus outside of Australia (until San Diego did it apparently) since the 1940s when the Bronx Zoo did it.

Omaha wanted to get platypus for their nocturnal house opening, so it would have been in the early 2000s.

ThylacineAlive and StoppableSan like this.
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The late 1950s surely, given there was a brief interval of time between the death of the animals imported in 1946 and the import of (very short-lived) new animals in 1958?

4. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I didn’t know Omaha tried to get them. Now to come to think of it. Has any other zoo tried to obtain platypus? Also one does wonder how on Earth did San Diego manage to get platypus in the first place?

5. TeaLovingDave

Rotterdam, Frankfurt and Leipzig all allegedly held the species briefly in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, but otherwise the only serious attempt was the near-miss by London during WWII.

To cut a long story short, the import of a single individual for the purposes of propaganda and war morale was negotiated by Winston Churchill, and the import was approved. After over a month at sea - crossing the Indian and Atlantic Oceans at the height of the war - the ship carrying the animal entered the Irish Sea and (only a dozen miles from port at Birkenhead) had to drop depth charges to fend off U-Boat attacks.... the sound of which is presumed to be the reason why the platypus promptly expired!

twilighter and BigNate like this.
  6. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

In his book The Zoological Gardens of Europe (1903) C. V. A. Peel records that Leipzig Zoo had a duck-billed platypus in 1899; the same book also lists a duck-billed platypus in Frankfurt.

I know that there is considerable doubt about these statements so I am only repeating what is mentioned in Peel's book; I am not vouching for their accuracy.

7. TeaLovingDave

Indeed - I recalled previous discussion of this source and the doubt cast on the claims, hence my insertion of the "allegedly" caveat :)

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

For others, these claims were discussed in the following thread (posts on this particular topic being scattered through the thread): Why no platypus in zoos outside Australia?

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Because it's the San Diego Zoo! (edit - ok it's the Safari Park, not the zoo, but same organization).

10. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Now confirmed in the latest issue of Zoo Grapevine & IZN. :)

Batto, jusko88, pangolin12 and 13 others like this.
  11. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, today is November 21. The event is supposed to start in a couple hours.

12. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

Is anyone from here planning on being there?

13. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just Googled around a bit, and searching for "san diego zoo platypus" yields this page - and nothing else helpful. It seems a bit odd to me that San Diego would open a platypus exhibit and not make that information more accessible to the public - though I guess we'll know in a few hours.

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  14. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So its 1:30 in California, and by my understanding, that means the event is over.

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  15. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nothing to be seen so far news-wise... not from the zoo or via Google... Anybody going to be visiting the safari park soon?

16. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

17. TeaLovingDave

18. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here’s what it says:

San Diego Zoo Global was recently given two platypuses from the Taronga Zoo Sydney. These two animals are the first platypuses that are on display outside of Australia.

The two will live in a new habitat at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. The Walkabout Australia habitat will officially open on November 22 with a special ceremony.

The park received an 8-year-old male and a 15-year-old female. They were flown from Australia to San Diego in specially designed platypus transport crates, accompanied by their keeper from Taronga Zoo Sydney. The animals did very well on their long journey to San Diego and have been acclimating to their specially built new home at the Safari Park.

Platypuses are semi-aquatic mammals who live in freshwater habitats. They have a very unusual appearance with a duck-bill and beaver-like tail. They are one of two mammals who lay eggs rather than giving birth.’

pachyderm pro, betsy and Great Argus like this.
  19. TeaLovingDave

Well, I can see at least two errors in that press release :p

20. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I braved the cold and rain to be greeted by a closed barricade at the entrance to the exhibit and turned away at the Zuest Station where a private party was happening. I was told there is a chance it could be open tomorrow afternoon after the media event or Saturday morning. I will be on a plane then, so no photos from me. I hope someone gets some.