Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park Platypus at San Diego Zoo Safari Park

Discussion in 'United States' started by Chlidonias, 17 Aug 2017.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As some observed earlier: in retrospect Taronga not having an okapi exhibit is equally irrelevant at this stage.

As far as I can see this would enrich both zoo regions with an iconic species and in the case of the platypus: the SDZ would contribute significantly to platypus conservation in Australia.

Second benefit would be that ZAA region would finally get another new ambassador rainforest species to fit with their theme at Taronga (for the more delicate species). Bongo to follow ..???

I just do hope the HS and Co. intervention do not **** up this - IMHO harmless (and quid pro quo) deal - between 2 world reknowned zoos. Out of interest there (and well be knowest to most ... I would assume in am no fan of self-proclaimed animal welfare organisations as such) what are the credentials of HS in native species conservation or even native species' animal welfare?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Couple of points relating to the above.

San Diego Zoo Global is going to be donating $500,000 to (an unspecified-as-yet) platypus conservation programme in Australia. I'm not sure if this is reliant on them getting platypus or if it is regardless. I haven't found anything specific about it.

The Bovid IRA is almost ready to run. I'd imagine bongo will be coming in, although through the "smaller" zoos probably. Certainly there will be new bongo before okapi ever appear.

the Humane Society don't need to know anything about native species conservation, they just need to complain and someone else deals with it. The objections I've read (from any party) mostly revolve around how the few platypus sent out of Australia seventy-odd years ago mostly didn't live long. One would hope that the people making the decision take note of what is told to them by actual experts.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Points taken and thanks!

4. Chlidonias

A sort-of-update, from the other week. There's a nine minute video of questions-and-answers at the Senate Estimates on the proposal. Lee Rhiannon clearly knows nothing about the specifics of the situation, although she equally clearly opposes it (based, presumably, on nothing).
    Senate Estimates: Wildlife Diplomacy – Trading platypus

If you can't view the video, the gist of it is that Taronga is still preparing the documents for the application to present to the government.

In the video one of the answers specifically says the half-million from San Diego is independent of them getting platypus.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2017
  5. Chlidonias

The transcript of that video is now here: Senate Estimates: Wildlife diplomacy & Platypus exports by Taronga Zoo

6. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anybody with knowledge of the political scene in Australia have a gut feeling how likely it is that a platypus export will be approved?

7. Chlidonias

I actually think it is quite likely (despite things I have said in the past about how platypus will never be seen outside Australia again!). The final approval has to be granted by the Minister for the Environment and Energy, who is Josh Frydenberg, and he has been firmly in support of the export since the start.

8. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

While the Greens have forged for themselves an important role in Australian politics, they are seen as opposing the current government and are unlikely to influence them to any degree. Also Lee Rhiannon is fairly isolated within the Greens herself. So while her position remains personal and has no broader public support outside the "animal rights" movement, it seems very unlikely her opposition will have any influence on government policy.

9. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well now, any updates on how this has progressed?

10. Chlidonias

No. I check every month or so, but so far there is nothing further available.

Taronga did apply to get Okapi added to the import list a while ago though. (The Platypus would be in exchange for Okapi).

AnaheimZoo and StoppableSan like this.
  11. gormancgo

gormancgo Well-Known Member

12. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

YES!!!!!!! I am glad San Diego actually got them!

13. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Omg now I have to come back to California even sooner than planned.

For how long are they going to be alive ?

14. Chlidonias

Wow. Despite starting this thread and providing updates, I'm still surprised it actually eventuated!

One mild note of caution though - the wording on the link is along the lines of "donate to help bring the platypus to San Diego" which could be interpreted as that it is still not entirely a done deal.

JVM likes this.
  15. Chlidonias

Well, one would hope that they will live a normal lifespan (which for platypus is between one and two decades)...

16. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh. My. God.

This is huge! Deep down I had always hoped it would happen, but I could never really bring myself to expect it to happen, but it did. San Diego worked their magic and hopefully they will do what they did for the Tasmanian devil to the duck-billed platypus. Now its time to start planning for another San Diego trip. :)

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. Rayane

I know the Bronx back in the days didn't make any live longer than 18 months. That's why I'm kind of skeptical.

As long as they don't do the same China did to LA for the golden monkeys, this is an awesome news.

18. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That was back in the day. Animal care is much better now.

pachyderm pro likes this.
  19. Chlidonias

That was seventy years ago! It's like wondering how long a zoo could keep their gorillas alive for now.

jayjds2, Brum and pachyderm pro like this.
  20. Rayane

It's true. But Aussie zoos could keep them back then. What was the problem in NY ?