Join our zoo community

ZOO Plzeň Plzen zoo news

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by kiang, 29 May 2011.

1. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The zoo has bred horned parakeets (Eunymphicus cornutus). Out of 2 chicks that hatched in June 2022, one male survived. Its parents are a male from Walsrode and female from Avifauna. The zoo labels it the first Czech zoo-breeding event of the species. But at the same time, it´s somewhat regularly kept and bred species in private collections (circa 200 birds are registered under CITES regulation law in Czechia currently). It is just that local zoos show no interest in them.

Source

Therabu, Fallax, Kalaw and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jana

With some delay, the spider-tailed horned viper (Pseudocerastes urarachnoides) exhibit officially opened yesterday (but animals were on show for at least 2 weeks already). It´s extension of the "Království jedu" venomous snake exhibit in tropical pavilion.

aramacao, JurassicMax, xmoose and 8 others like this.
  3. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

"Joy to the world, the Lord is come..." Plzen just published the annual report 2022 online

4. xmoose

xmoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Funds for modernisation of indoor paddocks for african monkeys are discused.
    Also, new roofed viewpoint should be build next to african savanna enclosure

Dassie rat and Gil like this.
  5. Jana

The city has agreed to buy 1 hectare of almost empty land next to the zoo for circa 1mio euro. A sloped area behind brown bears. It will allow the zoo to build there new exhibits for Eurasian animals in future.

Source

Edit.
    The zoo has a new snow leopard female. Mira (2) from Leipzig.

Last edited: 10 May 2023
    amur leopard, Maguari, Gil and 2 others like this.
  6. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Regarding the hilly side of the new space I don't expect that the long planed elephant exhibit will be built there. But what will they put there instead? European Bisons, so that their space can be used for the eles? Or could the parking area moved upwards to give room for the pachyderms in the lower part (even if there is a road)? Thanks in advance for a response.

7. xmoose

xmoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pilsen mayor mentioned on facebook wolves, bears and wisents - so new enclosures for them, or enlargement of already existing paddocks (personally, I am not impressed by current wolves exhibit, seems to be quite narrow to me)
    But it could be also misunderstandig
    Article posted by Jana speaks about some "endangered hoofstock" like musk ox or blue sheeps, or birds: owls and raptors.
    And both sources speak about possibility of new amphibian exhibit.

Elephant house should be located elsewhere (south of zoo, over the road)

amur leopard and Max Blundell like this.
  8. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know the best times to see the fat-tailed dwarf lemurs usually?

9. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I saw them at about 9am, a few months ago, only heads peeking out of their boxes though.

10. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I entered the Madagascar House at around 10:30 on my visit last year and I also just saw the lemur’s head peek.

11. GregOz

GregOz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I will be in Prague early July and plan to visit Plzen for the day from Prague. Is the nocturnal house still open and does it still operate day lighting just after the zoo opens?

12. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Certainly as of September last year the Africa nocturnal house was open with the lights on while keepers were working just after opening and for at least 45 minutes - well worth it, as it's very close to the entrance (right behind the lions) and as the keepers are working a lot of the animals are active as well). :)

GregOz likes this.
  13. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes, I visited last month and the lights in the African nocturnal house were on until at least 8.30.

GregOz likes this.
  14. Jana

5 Indonesian forest dragons (Lophosaurus dilophus) babies hatched. Adults 1,2 are on show in Akva-Tera in city center, babies are still off-show.

Source

15. Rhino00

Rhino00 Active Member 10+ year member

Red panda, female, was born on 12th June, it's first breeding for Plzeň.

JurassicMax likes this.
  16. Jana

Barbary lions have 4 cubs (1,3). They are 1 month old and off-show with their mother - their portion of African house is closed for visitors.

Source

Antoine, JurassicMax and Gil like this.
  17. RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee Member

Hi, I'm a French animal and zoo-passionate who is going to visit Czech Republic from the 10th to the 14th of September, especially for Prague and Plzen zoos and their impressive amount of rare species difficult or impossible to find in Western Europe.

After several unexpected events, I'll be finally alone on my trip so I just had the idea to leave a message here in case someone living in CR would like to join me and help me discover these zoological jewels as a guide.

I'll be staying in Prague so I'll spend more time in that zoo but a visit of Plzen is planned on the 12th.

xmoose likes this.
  18. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Gil and amur leopard like this.
  19. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Plzeň is now down to the last Panay cloudrunner (Crateromys heaneyi) as one of the remaining pair died earlier this week.

20. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sorry for asking what may be an obvious question... I've never been to Plzen but I'm planning to visit later this month - are the cloudrunners an on-show species or not viewable to the public?