Join our zoo community

ZOO Plzeň Plzen zoo news

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by kiang, 29 May 2011.

1. Nasua

Nasua Well-Known Member

Is someone informed about the common brushtail possum in Plzen?
    Zootierliste.de says they are off-show at the moment but at the website there is nothing special, just normal on-show... :confused::)
    www.Zootierliste.de / Australská | ZOO Plze?

2. Nasua

Nasua Well-Known Member

This is no news but I'd like to know if the exhibit signs or at least the animal names in Plzen (and Prague if you know it too), are just in czech and english, or if they're in german too. ;)

3. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They are in German too. But prepare yourself that all the food there is only signed in Czech (Even trying to figure out what French fries / Pommes frites are called is not easy). Also, some employees can not (or don't want) speak neither German nor English.

4. Nasua

Nasua Well-Known Member

Okay thank you very much :D I looked for those information hours on the internet :eek::D I knew some people can't speak/are unwilling to speak german but some don't want/can't speak english either? That's surprising me :eek:

5. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Some definitely didn't speak English when I was there - some other visitors kindly ordered food for me at the café as the staff couldn't understand what I was saying!

I don't think the guy at the ticket desk spoke English either, but there was a sign with prices in English, so that worked out. There wasn't much in the way of signs to the zoo in English, so we had to ask where to go at the admin building, and they didn't speak much English either!!!

Signage in the zoo was excellent though, as was the zoo itself. :cool:

6. Nasua

Nasua Well-Known Member

Haha okay:D I will try to communicate by all available means ;)

7. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Plzen Zoo has a new map - it is shown on their Facebook page. I don't know how different it is to their old one as I can't remember what it used to look like!

8. Nasua

Nasua Well-Known Member

The new map looks great but I can't see much because the picture is really small o_O
    However, this was the old map: http://mapy.plzen.eu/Files/gis/aplikace_mapy/zoo_1_2.PNG

And if I can recognize it correct, there are two new paths and two new buildings! One path is quite in the middle, between the vulture and goat icon, and at this path, there seems to be something like a building. And the other new path, or whatever it seems to be, I can not really see it on the picture, goes from the pheasant icon in the old map (in the north-eastern part) down to the "turtle house" (?). At its ending, there is a building, not shown on the old map.

----------------------------------------------

Independently, I ask myself about the Cape Foxes (Vulpes chama) at Plzen. At the website there is a little text under the Cape Fox article which, if my browser translates it right, says that the Cape Foxes live in a "breeding-exhibition" outside the zoo. (Etiopská | ZOO Plze?)
    Does my browser just translate it wrong or are the really off-show because websites like Zootierliste.de say they're on-show and in the sources, they have proofs?! :)

9. docend24

docend24 Well-Known Member

It says they keep them (and another species Vulpes velox) off show (as of now). Note, that it mentions species and does not specify how many individuals (zootierliste list 3.3 of them though but at the end of 2011). "Chovatelské zázemí" means usually rather area inside a zoo where visitors don't have access to, unless it is specifically stated it is another facility somewhere else. Animals are kept there usually to breed or because of space competition (and numerous possible temporary reasons).

I'm not sure how up to date that sentence is though.

10. docend24

docend24 Well-Known Member

Just checked 2013 annual report, no mention in text, but cape foxes are listed as 2.2 at the end of 2013. Vulpes velox velox listed 0.0 (departute of last 0.3 in 2013).

11. Nasua

Nasua Well-Known Member

Okay, good to know, thank you! ;)

12. Nasua

Nasua Well-Known Member

I visited the zoo last Wednesday and I found out that they keep at least 2 cape foxes on-show at the african nocturnal house.

Not any more on-show are the common brushtail-possums, the short-tailed opossums, the gundis and the garden dormouse (at least they were not signposted).

Though the zoo was very great, I wondered myself about some locations of some exhibits. Namely the new guinea short-beaked echidna & new guinea ground cuscus exhibit + one of the southern flying squirrel exhibits. To be exact, I would have missed them if I didn't had to go to the toilet! Fortunately I went to the toilet at the tropical house-restaurant because right there, they are. There is a door saying "WC", you enter it and you'll come to a small, black light lighted passage with those exhibits and only the next door ahead in this area is the real "WC". :eek::D

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

ha that's funny. I can imagine if you went to the zoo as a couple, and the other person is left standing outside tapping their feet impatiently waiting for you to come out of the toilet, looking at their watch and thinking "he's been in there forty minutes already!! Has he fallen asleep on the toilet?"

14. Jola

Jola Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A baby pygmy hippo was born 22 November 2014. There's a webcam in the enclosure (you have to scroll down, it's the webcam at the bottom of the page!):

Webkamery - | ZOO Plzen

15. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Congrats to a great zoo, with what may just be the largest and best exhibit for a pigmy hippo in the world !

16. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

And at the same, one of the smallest inside enclosure, where the hippos spend most of the time of the year......

17. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The female Siamese crocodile laid 11 eggs of which 2 have successfully hatched.

18. Rhino00

Rhino00 Active Member 10+ year member

2 lioness came from Hanover

19. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3 pumas have arrived from Tierpark Berlin.

20. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Anyone know where in the zoo these will be kept?