Join our zoo community

Polar Bear Cub Watch

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by blospz, 13 Jan 2013.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This year's cub watch isn't looking too great, but to narrow down the possibilites:

Alaska Zoo: Can mate, but female was on birth control before (possible side effects).
    Cincinnati Zoo: To mate again, not sure if they did.
    Columbus Zoo: This would be the top choice if Nanuq did indeed breed with the females. I think it did happen as why Nora was sent away already. If not, this upcoming winter they may try again. After that, I think that may be it. Nanuq is getting up there in age!
    Detroit Zoo: To mate, from pictures the female is quite big again.
    Denver Zoo: To mate (few years together, no results).
    Memphis Zoo: To mate (few years together, no results).
    Pittsburgh Zoo: To mate (few years, no results)
    San Diego Zoo: Not sure if non-related male and female mated.

3. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Lets not forget North Carolina Zoo!

Although its a tight timeline, assuming the zoo was quick in its introductions and the bears hit it off I could potentially see cubs for them as well.

4. TZFan

In Canada...

Toronto: No breeding. Breeding male Inukshuk sent to Cochrane and now housing Hudson and Humphrey who are related to all females there.
    Winnipeg: No breeding all too young.
    Aquarium Du Quebec: Breeding observed, young female and male has never reproduced
    Zoo Sauvage de St. Feliecen: Breeding for both females.
    Cochrane: No females.

So reality is 3 potential litters. Two of the females breeding are newly mature but the males they are breeding with have never sired a litter. The only male bear in Canada who has bred is Inukshuk.

5. blospz

It is a possibility, but I was told from a volunteer, no mating was witnessed.

6. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

The current large carnivore act in Michigan doesn't allow for the Detroit Zoo to be breeding their polar bears

7. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Does that mean that zoos in Michigan also can't breed other bears or large cats? What is the motive behind that legislation?

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Memphis has had the female isolated because they think she may be pregnant. At least it's been like that all summer and the last time I was there (early Sept. 2016).

10. blospz

When did this act go in effect? I swear I spoke to with a Detroit Zoo volunteer last year who said they were hopeful the female polar bear was pregnant. What a waste of a beautiful big exhibit if they cannot help contribute to increase the population.

11. mikek21

mikek21 Member

AZA accredited facilities like the Detroit Zoo are exempt from Michigan's Large Carnivore Act. They can breed their bears if they want.

12. blospz

I know it was mentioned on the Columbus Zoo thread, but we have our first birth of polars in the US this year at the Columbus. Twins born to first time mother, Anana. Let's hope that they both remain healthy! I would not be surprised if Aurora had a cub of her own. I think it's safe to say Nanuq is a proven breeder!

13. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

Originally they were suppose to be exempt but they forgot to include it in the original legislature in 2000. Now they are trying to get it added into the legislature. Jones introducing zoo animal breeding bill | Senator Rick Jones

14. blospz

A move is happening in hopes to give the US a new breeding pair: Polar bear Anana leaving Buffalo Zoo

Although the Buffalo Zoo will not confirm what zoo Anana will be going to, I think most likely it will be Lincoln Park Zoo. An article recently stated that the Lincoln Park zoo would be receiving a female polar bear this winter to mate with their new male, Siku. Siku is also in the same family as Hudson, her previous mate at Brookfield Zoo. From the SSP's point of view, because she has delivered a cub, they must continue to try to breed her. However, from my point of view, which I admit is personal attachment, all this moving in the past 5 years probably does not help matters. I can only hope this will be her final move. Others I know are also speculation eventually Luna in Buffalo will get a mate or companion, most likely Sakura from Henry Vilas Zoo.

15. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really hope so. It would be great to see Anana again. I missed her when she left Brookfield.

16. blospz

New Chicago bear? Lincoln Park Zoo opening new polar bear exhibit

This article states Siku from the Lincoln Park Zoo may have a mate from a Michigan Zoo. Most likely that would be Talini from the Detroit Zoo. With the exemption from the Michigan's Large Carnivore Act expiring for the Detroit Zoo, this would be a smart move since she is still young to breed for many years! Now that leaves the question again, where will Anana from the Buffalo Zoo end up? I wouldn't mind if she returned to the Brookfield Zoo since she tolerated Hudson during breeding season and the keepers adored her. However, I would also find it annoying since then she should have just stayed there last year. There's also the question if the male, Nanuq, from the Columbus Zoo will be moved to an off exhibit area or if they will move him to another zoo. This would be due to both female polar bears having cubs this year. This worries me a bit as he is an older bear and I wouldn't want a move to jeopardize his health.

17. TZFan

Buffalo should be getting Sakari from Henry Vilas to eventually breed with Luna.

Brookfield should be getting Nanuyaak from Toledo to breed with Hudson.

Lincoln Park was to receive Nuka from Detroit and Anana from Columbus to breed but her cub will put an end to that.

Cincinnati is to receive Anana from Buffalo to breed with Little One as she's a proven breeder.

Detroit is to receive Siku to breed with Talini.

Henry Vilas will be receiving Berit from Cincinnati.

18. blospz

I am guessing with the change of events, Talini is moving to Lincoln Park Zoo instead of Siku moving there. Nuka will stay in Detroit and Anana in Columbus. Although it's exciting Anana would move to Cincinnati with their reproduction team able to help enhance a pregnancy, their exhibit is subpar and it saddens to think of her on concrete again.

19. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

It's probably been mentioned or referenced at some point during this conversation, but I just wanted to clarify for anyone jumping in that both Aurora and Anana at Columbus have born cubs this year with sire Nanuq. Each had two cubs, but one of Aurora's died, for a total of three. Those are the only ones so far this year.

Unrelated to cubs but related to the polar bear population in general, Tasul in Oregon was euthanized recently. This is quite unfortunate, as Nora was just sent there so as to have an older companion and now- for the moment- she is alone.

20. blospz

Part of me wonders if any transfers will be altered now so one of the polar bears goes to Oregon to be a mate to Nora. Perhaps Berit who was to go to Henry Vilas to be a companion to the juvenile female there.