Join our zoo community

Tallinn Zoo Polar bear enclosure

Discussion in 'Estonia' started by Shirokuma, 4 Jan 2016.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

As has been mentioned elsewhere, Tallinn is raising funds for a new and much needed polar bear enclosure.

Here you can find more about the campaign in English

and here is a comprehensive set of pictures showing the design

and a model of the enclosure

In terms of location, it is planned to be on part of the large Père David's deer paddock at the entrance to the zoo.

[​IMG]

I think it looks very good although I would like to see some elevation offering the polar bears views and sensory stimulation from beyond the enclosure.

2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

This is desperately needed, but these plans have been around for a while. Is there any actual progress towards meeting financial goals or is this just a new year funding push? (which would not be a bad thing in and of itself of course).

3. Shirokuma

They need about €4 million and as far as I know they are nowhere near this figure. Last I heard they had about €100,000 but they are stepping up the campaign - an auction and charity dinner were held in November and they are continuing to collaborate with variuous businesses and the plans are more substantial and public than they were previously. An application was made for EU funding but it wasn't successful.

4. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Well given those numbers they should scrap this plan and build something along the lines of HWP/YWP's wire fence paddocks. They've got plenty of space to make it work and it would be far cheaper. Not to mention actually possible.

5. AdvoCat

AdvoCat Well-Known Member

Last edited: 20 Jan 2016
  6. Shirokuma

That's great news.

If I understand correctly, the Amur tigers are the zoo's next priority and the Polarium will, in the long term, include seals and penguins.

7. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Seriously?! These plans look so outdated, this is not going to be a good polar bear enclosure. It seems too small and way too open, no places for the bears to hide, no vegetation (exept the golf course lawn). And it`s a terrible idea to surround an enclosure with high walls, fences would be so much better because the bears could see what happens around them.
    The current enclosure must be AWFUL if this is going to be an improvement.
    I just hope that someone will come to his senses and stop this waste of money. They could build something much better much cheaper, like HWP.

8. Shirokuma

9. AdvoCat

AdvoCat Well-Known Member

Yes, you got it quite right. All cold climate animals are moving to the Polarium when it's completed. And tiger project is the next big thing after the Polarium.

10. zoo chp89

zoo chp89 Well-Known Member