Join our zoo community

Wellington Zoo porcupines move to wellington...

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by patrick, 18 May 2006.

1. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

wellington zoo has aquired 3, i believe all male, crested porcupines from marwell zoo in the UK. they say they are looking at getting a female to breed. although not yet listed under ISIS, the zoos website claims that the unspecified 'crested porcupines' are native to africa, south of the sahara. this is interesting since the only other zoo in NZ to have crested porcupines, orana park, keeps the northern africa, southern european species. marwell zoo is listed of having just a pair of the same species - not the african crested porcupine" which inhabits the southern half of the african continent. melbourne zoo holds a pair of indian crested porcupines and taronga has an elderly female.

so whats going on? are NZ zoos planning on holding a different species of porcupine to australia? are the wellington zoo porcupines even the same species as the ones at orana?

nigel, your our memeber for wellington.....

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

well there should be more porcupines, they are very nice, when i first moved to adelaide adelaide Porcupine was no where to be seen, a month later teh sign was gone, now there are otters in the enclosure (as with every enclosure that is empty, either otters or Mandarin Ducks).

Does anyone know what s.species that one(?) was?

3. patrick

the species that was at adelaide was the indian crested porcupine. the adelaide animals moved to melbourne and melbourne sent one eldery female to taronga. melbourne now have a pair, hopefully to breed. the different species (not subspecies) of crested porcupine all look vey similar.

4. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

ok, thanks for that pat

5. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Porcupines -- excerpt from Wellington Zoo website

Current | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003

Crested porcupines now at Wellington Zoo

15 May 2006
    Three newly arrived crested porcupines are now on display at Wellington Zoo.

Three crested porcupines have been released into their purpose-built enclosure at Wellington Zoo following a long plane trip from Marwell Zoo in England.

Part of an Australasian Species Management Programme (ASMP), the Zoo hopes to breed the porcupines, if a suitable female mate can be found.

"Although crested porcupines aren't endangered at the moment, we know we will need an insurance population should they become endangered in the future," says Simon.

An enclosure has been specially built to house the porcupines with much planning having gone into the enclosure to stop the creatures digging or chewing their way out.

"Porcupines are renowned for digging and chewing, so we've put a concrete base in their houses and steel reinforcing mesh throughout the rest of the enclosure to stop them finding themselves on the other side of the fence," says Wellington Zoo Manager, Infrastructure, Shane Whittaker.

Native to countries in the lower half of Africa, porcupines have about 30,000 quills on their bodies. The quills are thought to be hairs evolved over time to become thick, solid spikes, used to defend themselves if a predator comes into contact with them.

"There's a myth out there that porcupines shoot out their quills. Rest assured, this isn't true and Zoo visitors will be very safe on their side of the railing," says Simon.

I will try to establish whats going on . In the meantime , this is the official
    word from the zoo .
    I have sent an email to both Orana Park and Wellington Zoos , asking them to elaborate further . Neither of their websites tell anyone which type of Crested porcupines their respective zoos hold .
    I have seen the ones at Orana . They are large magnificent animals
    far bigger than hedgehogs or echidnas . I have stroked an echidna before , but I wouldnt want to stroke Oranas porcupines !

Last edited: 22 May 2006
  6. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

response from Wellington Zoo

Dear Nigel,

They are Hystrix africaeaustralis.

so which sub species of porcupines are these ?

7. patrick

damn, another species!!!

not subspecies. actually the various types of crested porcipines are actually different species.

well that makes things confusing. now we have....

indian crested porcupines Hystix indicus in australia
    north african crested porcupines Hystrix cristata at orana
    south african crested porcupines Hystrix africaeaustralis. at wellington.

whats going on with that!!!!! why on earth would they decide import yet another species into the region. dumb decision if you ask me. it's the langur thing all over again!!

duh!

anyhow nigel,
    H. indicus is from india through to the middle east
    H. cristata from southern europe to north africa
    H. africaeaustralis is from the southern part of africa as far north as kenya and the congo.

Last edited: 24 May 2006
  8. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Copy of email that I sent to Wellington Zoo

How come Wellington Zoo decided to import Southern African Crested porcupine ( 3 males ) and Orana Park has some Hystrix cristata , which are a totally different species of Crested porcupine ? Are the NZ zoos hoping to breed more than one species of crested porcupines ?
    Do the zoos in NZ not coordinate with each other , or does each zoo just grabs whatever species of animals they can and hope for the best ?
    If the zoos in the region could breed one species of animal , surtely that would increase the possibility of an enlarged gene pool ?

Can you , or the zoo directors , please explain the logic in obtaining porcupines for breeding , that are not Hystrix cristata -- which already exist in Christchurch ?

I am pleased that the zoo is obtaining new animals , but I feel that there could be more liason with Austraslia and NZ zoos to cooperate in breeding programmes .
    I believe that the only porcupines at Australian zoos are Hystix indicus , which are a different species yet again ?

I look forward to your ( the zoos )explanation .

Cheers ,
    Nigel

Many thanks for your explanation , Patrick . Now I understand more fully why you think it is a strange decision on Wellington Zoos part .
    I agree with you on this issue .

9. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

response from Wellington Zoo re porcupines

Dear Nigel,

Hystrix africaeaustralis is the priority species
    for ARAZPA (quote from
    the Census 2006, 16th Edition of the Australasian
    Species Management
    Program of ARAZPA, p. 372). It is also the only
    species of Hystrix we
    are able to import at this stage because that is
    the species that we
    have an import health standard for. Every import
    is associated with a
    large amount of planning and always in
    communication with the ARAZPA.

Hope this helps to clarify the confusion,
    Kind regards,
    Katja

10. patrick

id'e send melbourne an email asking if they plan on breeding their porcupines but the never respond to emails (at least not from me!). i often disagree with the choice of species that are phased in/out but i guess it comes down in the end, not so much about species status in the wild, but about personal asthetics. i mean lets face it - virtually everything is endangered these days. i wouldn't have chosen dholes for import (don't get me wrong i like them - i like pretty much all animals!) but i can't really give a valid reason for it other than that they look pretty much like regular dogs and that we already have tigers, sunbears and others filling the carnivore niche in asian exhibits and maned wolves, dingoes and african wild dogs filling the "wild dog" niche as well. i would have brought in more clouded leopards - but then you could argue that we already have lots of big cats and asian big cats at that!!!

i guess its just personal choice.

11. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

response from Orana Park

Hi Nigel
    Attached is taxonomic list for Porcupines I have
    copied from the
    international data base for your information.
    Orana is importing a female African Crested
    Porcupine ( Hystrix
    africaeaustralis ) for the male we have had for
    five years. This species
    has been nominated for breeding through out the
    regional management program.
    Regards
    Graeme Petrie
    Head Keeper
    Orana Wildlife Trust

I have not attached the taxonomic list in this response , but if it is of interest I might put it in this thread at a later time . I was keen to put in the response from Orana Park .
    Note the species that Orana Park has got .

12. patrick

weird, orana ISIS records have never shown that they had a H. africaeaustralis in their collection.

i was hoping the zoos would breed the indian species as i had this idea of a indian terai open-range exhibit with all the asian hoofstock and a walking trail with rhesus macaque, bengal tigers, asiatic wild dogs, fishing cats, short-clawed otters AND indian crested porcupines......

13. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Clouded leopards aren't easy to acquire, one reason being that they breed poorly in captivity so there aren't too many surplus animals to go around. Dholes breed better and are easier to manage, though i agree that they are less attractive than clouded leopards.

Sometimes it just boils down to what zoos CAN get as oppose to what they WANT to get. There are 'window periods' to acquire animals, basically when logistics, red tape, flight schedules, sponsorship, etc all fall into place. If this window period is missed, then it might be years later before the next window opens, so some zoos would rather acquire the animals first, then think of what to do with them.

14. patrick

yeah, i think you are right zooish.

but geez i love clouded leopards!!!

15. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I also feel that we should be keeping Clouded Leopards WHY cant we have them, they are stunning to look at, would fit in well with an Asain rainforest exhibit and need captive breeding, so why cant we exhibit them??. There is nothing else like them.

16. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I love clouded leopards too, they have such GORGEOUS eyes...

Clouded leopards should be common in zoos in Thailand, Vietnam even Indonesia, but the problem is that these cats have shady origins, many are probably wild-caught animals. On the flipside, these animals also represent important genetic material since they're born in the wild. Thus the ethical debate continues...

17. patrick

sometimes, when it comes to propigating wild animals in captivity it's not allways straight forward stuff. zoos often find particular species very difficult to persuade to reproduce - the clouded leopard being one of them. sometimes ther are very unusual and genuine excuse for the zoos failure, such as the cases of hormones, vitamin definciences etc... factors that require extensive research to overcome. then there are failures due to a lack of plain old common sense. and some of the issues surrounding clouded leopards seem directly related to these.

in the wild clouded leopards are solitary. they are not the alpha-predator. they must avoid tigers, leopards, bears and others. they are assisted at this largely because they are , even compared to ther cats, highly arboreal in habit spending much of their time in trees. they are shy even in the wild and are very wary of leaving evidence of their existance. they are almost strictly nocturnal. very little else is known of their habits in the wild but one would assume when it comes to breeding - there is a very long, cautious process of introduction before two clouded leopards mate.

compare this to they average life of a clouded leopard in captivity.

clouded leopards in zoos often live within close proximity to another clouded leopard. they often live within equal proximity to other big cats - natural predators of clouded leopards. they are not provided with tall trees to hide from these neighbouring threats. they must stay low to the ground in a small territory that forces them to alert their presence to to their enemy. they are forced to live in state of constant stress then once a year another clouded leopard is thrown into their territory. so the male, refusing to be outsted from his territory by the female - who shows no interest in breeding since their is no way shes planning on raising cubs next door to a tiger - kills her.

of course zoos are just starting to work some of these factors out. and i look forward to greater success with breeding clouded leopards in the future. hopefully australian zoos can contribute to that. even if the leopards need be off display. i'de just be happy that we were breeding them.

i usually find the trick to breeding any animal comes down to how well you can replicate the natural situation. some need very little stimulation, others need more. however do your research and mimic the right scenario - and all species will breed in captivity.

18. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

I will tell u a little story i have read on many occasions, that put different aspects of conservation to the fore front

15 yearss ago, the javan tiger roamed the jungles of indonesia, unaware that it was 1 on the last of his species.

zoo based biologists aguged "let us get some of these tigers in captivity, so we have a back up population, in case of the worst. " for heavens sake'

" no, life finds a way and they will surrvive leave them in the wild, where they can be free to breed, its not nessicary, we're going to preserve them in nature' stated the conservationists

then one day the question arose, how many javan tigers do we have left' the answer was none - extinct , gone.