Join our zoo community

Port Lympne Wild Animal Park Port Lympne 2012

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 9 Jan 2012.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Port Lympne update.

Have been to PL.

Drills; Gorbi died a few months ago. There are currently 1.5, they are; the castrated male Kasalo, the female Bibundi and four daughters- none are younger than about three years so probably there has been no successful birth/breeding since about 2009. But there have been three born at PL(either all to Bibundi unless possibly one of them from a daughter?).

A new male is coming shortly from Valencia to replace Gorbi, but two females will leave and move to Munich. This will leave Bibundi, Kasalo(if compatible with the new male) and two(probably the younger) daughters staying at PL. At least two or three of the females had sexual swellings. Bibundi currently seems to be the boss- she chased Kasalo all around the cage after he took some food she wanted.

The distinctive b/w individual animals' names labels (such as the Drill one in Gl's above photo, and for nearly all the other smaller species) have disappeared now(at both parks)- there are still some on Big Cat and Gorilla cages but that's about all.

General-Port Lympne has IMO, sunk even lower.:( as the whole park can really only be accessed now by using the 'safari' trucks and even the smaller walking area is not a circuit or loop in its own right. There are 'no access' signs blocking off the former paths in the woodland, the original Gorilla house is off limits and you can only walk around the perimeter of the wooded area and down past the Tapirs. On the other side you can go from 'Base Camp' down past the open Gorilla enclosures but that is a dead end and does not link up. :( After the truck 'safari' you are dropped off below the Bison paddock, to walk on the new path through the new Pallas Cat enclosure and then up past the Tapirs and Djala gorilla group, Drills, baboons etc. The lowest path past the Barbary Lions is also blocked off so that group is virtually unviewable also. It again struck me how ideal the low-lying areas where the half dozen Water Buffalo are, would be for Indian Rhinos- its absolutely perfect!

The small Pine tree woodland area behind the Gift shop/entrance where the Wolves and Tigers/Lions are must now be completely missed out by most people as they head in the other direction towards the Base camp pick-up station.

The whole 'African Experience' concept, as a way of marketing Port Lympne and transforming its fortunes is IMO a good idea, but very poorly executed- they simply haven't got the infrastructure- proper roads, decent transport, suitable flat terrain etc to do this properly. On the trucks the excruciating 'African' style taped commentary is embarassingly bad, while the trucks slowly grind their way around the bumpy roads and steep hills and many animals aren't commented on at all and the occupants of the trucks miss some things altogether. Visitors also seemed to have to waste a fair portion of their day waiting at the pick-up points for the trucks to arrive, and getting on and off etc which is all very time-consuming and a struggle for people with small children, buggies etc. and the elderly or unfit. But it feels as if nobody at the park really cares too much about any of that, they just take the entrance fee and go through the motions of providing a result with what was there already..:rolleyes:

The best of the animals in this safari section IM0 were the Wildebeest- I counted 27 + 5 more in a seperate section. I hope they continue to let them multiply. I would recommend the tour more for the billiant views of the Channel Coast afforded from the top of the hill- this is more impressive really than the animals and seems to rather work against them by reducing their impact. It was interesting to see this whole area(which is the old 'Coombe Farm') for the first time though.

Species not seen at PL; any smaller cats(due to hot weather?) Spanish wolves; Brown Hyaena (the latter I never even saw an enclosure- presumably they are off limits to walkers nowadays.) But the golden-bellied Mangabeys have been moved back to where they were originally, in one of the cages above the Tapir House so they can now be seen on the walking section.

The contrast between the two parks as far as visitor-friendliness goes seems even greater than ever, I would now rate Port Lympne at about 1 out of 10:( compared to Howletts which still gets 9 or 10 out of 10.:) IMO Port Lympne nowadays is just a mess, they don't know what they are anymore. So sad.

Last edited: 27 May 2012
  2. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

- 1,0 "Gorbi" was born at Hannover Zoo, 04.11.1991, sire: "Bioko" (WILD born 1975, died 1993), dam: "Tschita" (WILD born 1973, died 2011)
    - 0,1 "Bibundi" was born at Hannover Zoo, 23.12.1997, sire: "Victor" (born at Stuttgart 1982, died at Hannover 1998), dam: "Hanna" (born at Hannover 1984, "Alexander" x "Tschita")
    - 1,0 "Kassalo" was born at Stuttgart Wilhelma, 16.11.2001, sire: "Gorbi", dam: "Bibundi"

3. Pertinax

So Kassalo is also son of Gorbi x Bibundi?

Since then this pair have produced five(?) female offspring which is a good record.

4. dogman

dogman Active Member

Pertinax you have been a little bias with your view there is a lot work going on at the moment to complete new standoff fences to make the circular walk much tidier so you can walk through the rhino paddocks down past red pandas and passed lynx and other small cats then on to Pallas cats and past bison.
    Agreed the commentary on trucks is not great and when drivers make comments no better or accurate and as stated the ride is a little bumpy to say the least but all the commercial side of campsites and truck ride are designed to secure a future for the park by bringing in more money so they can be improved and continue to fund in situ projects.
    Also if there are visitors keen to see species that off show the keepers are more than happy to take interested enthusiasts ( especially to see the browns) if you just ask for that sections keepers at the gatehouse and can usually be arranged.:D

5. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Port Lympne has been ruined. The reason these changes were brought in was because a few people complained about all the walking. So what did Port Lympne do? Give in to the vocal minority and close off sections of a really great park.

6. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Whilst not particularly liking the changes, I can see why Port Lympne had to change something in an attempt to increase visitor numbers and gain financial security.

To be fair I can see why a lot of average "Joe Public" visitors (remember they're the ones that keeps zoos viable, not us) would have been unhappy or complained -the place is too big and the animals too spread out for most families with children under (say) ten years old (and they're the people who make up the majority of visitors at most zoos).

Yes, I personally would have preferred the place to stay as it was but I doubt that it would have been sustainable in the medium term. Let's hope they can find a better balance in keeping and displaying all the obscure species we love whilst making enough money to still be there in a generations time.

7. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Wise sensilble words, without Joe public and his family turning up on a sunny August afternoon, there would not be a zoo open in the U.K., although personally I would have prefered it to remain as it was and can understand Pertinax's comments and frustrations, let's hope that a balance can be achieved, to keep everybody happy, zoo visitors, enthusiasts and also the accountants.:)

8. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

The changes are not that visitor friendly though. Yes they have put a drop off point on the Wagon tour (though i think there are no pick ups here), but it's at the bottom of a hill, by the time you get up to the Palace of the Apes, it feels like you've climbed a mountain. The flatter areas seem to have been fenced off, and you can no longer get from the Palace of the Apes to the Tiger/Lions near the entrance or vice versa.

9. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I last went to PL 4 years ago on a fairly bright August Saturday, and the place was clearly struggling for visitors, i doubt many more than 3-400, which clearly indicated to me trouble lay ahead.Changes had to be made,but was taking such large areas & making so many species 'off show' really necessary? The brown hyena being probably the biggest 'crime' of all!

We didnt have to queue for the safari ride at all, but i'd hate to have to, that was probably my least enjoyable part of the visit, though appreciate children may find it exciting. I like many others enjoyed the walking, though my daughter, then 9, didn't towards the end!

10. Pertinax

That sounds like an improvement though regarding my comments, obviously I had no indication that this was in the pipeline, I just saw it as it is currently. I fully understand why many of these changes have had to be made but fear that the essence of Port Lympne has been lost in the process.

Do you know why the paths in the centre of the woodland area and access to the original Gorilla pavilion have been closed off to the public?

IF I go to PL again I'll certainly remember to ask to see any species like the Brown Hyaena that can't be seen- if that's at all possible, though I suspect I may never go back again now.:(

11. dogman

dogman Active Member

Pertinax
    -Although not the only reason there has been a fair amount of tension in the pavilion batchelor group and as one of them now resides permanatly on his own in that cage he deserved some piece and quiet and as there are still many gorillas on show was not essential.
    It also looks very tired in the woodland and needs many new fences ( as does the rest of the park) the idea of closing some parts will probably not be permanant in most areas.
    I would defiantly reccomend that as you are quite into gorillas you do decide to visit again as it still has nice collection and havi g chance to see both batchelors and family also finally the Barron open ha ha ditch enclosures are finally started to get a face lift.:)
    It must also be remembered that no one keeps black rhino better as well as lots of new animal plans on the horizon

12. Pertinax

Dogman- welcome to Zoochat incidentally.

Thankyou for these explanations. I didn't really miss seeing the oldest males(gorillas) having seen them many times previously but I wondered what the reason was. I did notice those outdoor enclosures had more in them than previously though.

I'm very aware of the excellent breeding records at both Parks of certain species too and that all the recent changes don't really affect that side of what is being done there. But I did much prefer it as it was previously thought at PL it was a slog even for a fit person to see everything and I'm not surprised many visitors would have found it impossible to get around.

13. GorillaBoy

GorillaBoy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Mumba's baby is a female and has been named Djemba.

GB

14. cyrildacat

cyrildacat Member

They decided to make the changes due to the fact that howletts was bringing in over twice the amount of visitors than Port Lympne was when really it should have been the other way around. This is what I was told by a passing by member of staff. Personally I believe that they should open up the whole of the park and then put a "preferred route" around the park where you can see everything but those who want to see extra can!!

15. Clouded Leopard

Clouded Leopard Well-Known Member

16. GorillaBoy

17. Pertinax

PL Black Rhinos.

Does anyone know if the ex Chester male 'Quinto' fathered any calves at Port Lympne before he died?

Also whether they have made any progress with the ex ZSL/Chester female 'Rosie'?

18. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

PL Black Rhinos.

Does anybody know who the father of the latest calf is? I presume it's Paignton's ex male 'Kingo'. Kingo was offspring of Ringo (Ex Dublin).

Does anybody know who the parents of Nyasa are? I think her father might have been 'Mwaniki' who died about six or seven years ago at PL.

19. Pertinax

Ringo(Baringo) was only calf born at Dublin to parents; Ronald x Launa.

Ronald was 2nd calf of Bristol pair; Willie x Stephanie.

So PL animals with Baringo/Kingo parentage are descended from Bristol's 1950/60's pair.

20. GorillaBoy

The father of Nyasa's calf is a young male born at PL in 2002 called Zambezi.

GB