Join our zoo community

Port Lympne Bachelors

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by GorillaBoy, 10 Apr 2012.

1. GorillaBoy

GorillaBoy Well-Known Member

I was just wondering the first bachelors that went to port lympne.. the now called Big Five group. Because on the Howletts and PL website on the adopt and animal page and then on Ambam (the walking gorilla) it says he was sent to PL with his 4 half brothers but Timbou, Boumi and Bonz are i was wondering who the other male was and Also when did Djimu and Kush join the group and Was Djanghou now a breeding male at howletts part of this group because on the Studbook it says he was sent to Port lympne but obviously now has since been returned.

If anybody has any information please comment :)

GB

2. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

I believe that the finally male is Mataki. Djimu arrived 10th June 1998 and Kush arrived on that day too.

I believe Ambam, Mataki and Boumi were all handreared.

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member

All of Djala's group was sent to Port Lympne from Howletts, so Djanghou, as his number 1 son, went too.

Alan

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

Djanghou was originally called 'Anghou' and thought to be another male's offspring but proved by DNA to be Djala's first.

From about age six, he did spend a few years in the 'big five' male group which with him and Timbou(since removed) then numbered seven animals. Djanghou was by far the smallest of the seven and brownish in colour.

I happened to be at Port Lympne the day he was moved back to Howletts to form his own group- he was about nine at the time and very spindly to look at. I saw him being loaded(fully drugged but not in a crate!) into a little zoo Van. Later the same day at Howletts we watched him 'coming round' in one of the oldest cages, feeding rather drowsily and watching the young females which would form his group, in the next run.

Next time I saw him he was twelve and had made the dramatic change into a silverback.

I recently heard that Rhenen Zoo in Holland, where the four oldest PL males, despite the delays, are still going to, are actually building accomodation for up to twenty male Gorillas(yes twenty;)) so a few others from Port Lympne could also end up there possibly.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2012
  5. Pertinax

Mataki = Bonz, he's the same animal. The other male was probably Oumbie, now at Twycross.

Ambam was handraised after one year.

6. GorillaBoy

Thanks you all :) They was planning on trying to merge the 4 Males from Kifu's group Kanghu, Kebu, Kouyou and Fubu with Ujiji but they have decided to keep it as they are as they think it would be a bloodbath and Ujiji might be moving to a Zoo in Korea to be paired with an Older female ;)

GB

7. Jordan-Jaguar97

Wasn't it mentioned on another thread, I think by Pertinax that the Longleat males would be Kanghu, Kebu, Kouyou and Fubu?

8. GorillaBoy

I dont know if it will be them we will see :) if it is them and Ujiji goes to Korea i wonder what they will do with that enclosure.

GB

9. Jordan-Jaguar97

They could possibly use it as an extra holding area or to form a new group of bachelors, are any coming up to maturity and need/awaiting to be moved?

10. Pertinax

I think it will be these males but could be wrong on this- we should not have too long to find out now.

11. Pertinax

Howletts/PL have so many young males comng through the breeding groups they can always fill these enclosures with younger groups of males.

12. Pertinax

If Ujiji goes to Korea that solves the problem with one of their single males. Interesting how they seem far more willing to let anywhere have their surplus males nowadays- Korean zoos are not the best.:(

13. GorillaBoy

If they do get a new male to Join Kijo's group at Howletts this enclosure could be Occupied by Bitono, Jah, Popa, Joshi and Kiju in a couple of years when kiju is old enough as he is only 3 in July

GB

14. Pertinax

more males

Unless any of these have already been removed there are also the following other young males in the Howlett's groups;

Kouillou's group -Otana, 2001, Baloo 2004, Imbizo 2005.
    Bitam's old group- Barney/Bitanu 2003.
    Kifu's group- Ebeki,2003.
    Djanghou's group- Kisane,2006.

That's enough to fill the other enclosure if/when the big males leave too.;)

15. black-star

black-star Well-Known Member

This week there are 6 gorillas arrived in Rhenen.
    I do not know the names of the animals.
    Rhenen | Facebook