Join our zoo community

Port Lympne hunting dogs

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Hunting dogs, 29 Mar 2015.

1. Hunting dogs

Hunting dogs Well-Known Member

I keep seeing websites saying that 3 litters of African hunting dogs have been born at Port Lympne Reserve, bringing the park's total to 43 in 5 packs. I know from the keepers that 2 litters were born in November, but wonder where the 3rd has come from. Somebody's imagination, maybe?

At the end of 2014 the composition of dogs, according to the keepers, was:

Pack 1 - Spot Tail, her mate Tatu and their offspring (7 pups from 2012, the 2 survivors from 2013 and 9 new pups)

Pack 2 - Nadifa, her mate Chobe and their 8 pups

Pack 3 - Wiley and his mate Zuri, near the cheetahs, lions, tigers and wolves near entrance ticket office

Pack 4 - a trio of dogs from Germany (2 males and 1 female). Anybody know where they live?

Pack 5 - a female called Pirate (one of Spot Tail's sisters) who was sent to Colchester Zoo 2 years ago after losing her first litter (sired by Wiley) but who has now returned to Port Lympne to make space for Colchester's new pack of 6 males from Sweden. Very complicated, but dogs always seem to be moving from one zoo to another, often with no good reason! Anybody know where Pirate is living - I assume she is by herself but she is very easy to recognise because she only has 1 eye.

Also, does anybody know the names, sexes and ages of the cheetahs who now live near the ticket office at the entrance? They were not there last April when I went to the park - I think they are some of the cubs from the 2 breeding females who live near Safi and Suliman the Barbary lions. Talking of the lions, I heard that 3 lionesses were sent to Paris last year - do you know who they were?

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Lions at Port Lympne.

Interesting to hear that. I don't know which ones they would be. But do you know how many Lions Port Lympne still have now, and the sex ratio?