Join our zoo community

Port Lympne Wild Animal Park Port lympne news 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Tankyboi, 15 Feb 2019.

1. Tankyboi

Tankyboi Member

male lion Milo (born at PL) and female lionless Lilly (born tierpark Berlin) moved to new enclosure Lion lodge at top of the park few weeks ago massive exhibit both look to have settled well in there new enclosure

2. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member

Whilst looking for a different individual I came across a Black rhino birth born in February 2018 Sammi x Nyota called Azizi. No idea if male or female though

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

Have PL now shelved/dropped their 'Barbary Lion' breeding? I noticed on their facebook they say the female Lily kept with male Milo is a sub-saharan Lion (says she came from Sweden) and afaik none of the other Lions they have are potential breeders anymore. Has Lily replaced a previous 'Barbary' female partner of Milo that came from Berlin? Anyone know about that?

Last edited: 5 Mar 2019
  4. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Can someone please give me an update on the gorillas as I've not heard anything regarding them since Djala left. Is Djala and his daughter Mbwamba and his son Louna still alive? What individuals are currently in Koullous group? Also have Kangus group been replaced with other gorillas yet? Sorry to ramble on but are there any updates on Kouillous group? Are any other gorillas being sent bac to the wild?

A few years ago Daimian Aspinnall nearly sent some elephants back to the wild namely Janu and some others why did Diamain change his mind and instead sent Janu to Noah's Ark zoo farm in Wraxhall Bristol?

Kind regards and thanks for your patience while reading my long essay sorry if I bored you

Kind regards The Hedgehog!

5. Pertinax

Djala and one son Djongo remain together and at liberty now(afaik). Mwamba was transferred, because of her relatedness, to another group(pair) comprising a 'rescued' blackback male and a much younger female. They have been formed into a small group of three currently at semi-liberty. I think Louna died.

Kouillou's group- Gorillasland website, captive population section shows composition of all Gorilla groups- look in Europe section. Not completely up to date but otherwise generally correct. Kangu's group had not been replaced by last autumn and I have heard nothing since so presumably the answer is still no. As to your other questions- look at their FB pages for any updates.

Re the Elephants- most likely because in the event there was only one young male involved, so another zoo home was the simplest option.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2019
  6. The Hedgehog

Thanks for replying Pertinax I've checked gorillas land and it's so out of date and years on they'll be additional gorilla news.

Can you please list all the members of Kouilous group

Kind regards From the Hedgehog

7. Pertinax

Not offhand... I don't know them that well any more. Gorillasland captive group lists are still fairly accurate though out of date as you said so possibly any change in last year or so isn't shown..

8. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member

At present Port Lympne have 18 gorillas across technically five groups. The main breeding group consists of silverback Kouillou, and his females Sangha, Tamba, Matibe, Jubi, Mambi, Viringika and Oundi, subadult daughter Boula, and sons Koundi and Louango. Kouillou’s two subadult sons Bou and Kabale were split from the group around 2.5 years ago now and live together just next door from their natal group.

Then there are the bachelors - there’s the ‘Big Three’ which consists of Ambam, Kush and Djimu (the alpha). There are also two other bachelors who each live separately from the Big Three but used to live together with each other and the trio - Mataki and Timbou.

Believe the plan is to soon receive a male (or two...) from Howletts to join Bou and Kabale in the now vacant bachelor pad next door to the Trio, which held males Kanghu, Kebu, Kouyou and Fubu (before they were ‘released into the wild’) until late 2017 I think it was.

9. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Moderator Staff Member

The family group will be in Palace of the Apes of course. The 3+1+1 must be in the 'Loft Roundhouse'. Are Bou and Kabale in the isolation cage in Palace of the Apes or in the 'Chimp Silo' next to it?

Last edited: 6 Mar 2019
  10. Pertinax

Correct, the 3+1+1 are in the loft roundhouse where they have always been. Regarding the other two(Bou/Kibale) I think they must be in Palace of the Apes still- unless very recently moved.- the 'chimp silo' and adjacent 'pavilion' cage and enclosure certainly held no gorillas last autumn, in fact the chimp silo hasn't had anything it it for a long time now (apart from weeds growing).

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  11. Pertinax

Potentially there are three males at Howletts that could move over- two in Ebeki's group and one in Djanghou's. If all three did move that would see the formation of a group of five at PL...

12. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

We were chatting to the Gorilla keeper around the bachelor pad a few weeks ago, and he said the 3 together mix well but they used to bully and attack one of the others, so that one was moved on his own. The other one, was really aggressive which is why he is kept separate. The aggressive didn't not only seem to take a dislike to Gorillas, but didn't seem best pleased to see humans either !

13. Pertinax

The two seperated ones are named Timbou and Mataki(Bonz). Timbou is one of four full brothers, three of which used to live together in this group as adult males. Boumi died, while Oumbie went to Twycross. Timbou has lived solitary (at the rear) many years now. Mataki was seperated more recently- he's the one that lives closer to the public barrier. Do you know which one they were referring to in each context?

14. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

No by name, but if you said the three were on the right, front left is the one who got bullied, back left is the aggressive one. Not sure if that's helpful.

Pertinax likes this.
  15. ShonenJake13

Mataki is the bullied one - Timbou is the aggressive one.

Pertinax likes this.
  16. ShonenJake13

@Pertinax if the rumours are true it will be Kisane that goes - Joshi and Kiju despite causing trouble in their group are more tolerated by Ebeki than Kisane is by Djanghou.

Pertinax likes this.
  17. Pertinax

Yes, it is, thankyou.

18. The Hedgehog

Is Djalas son Djongo still alive?

19. Pertinax

First line of my answer...

Brum likes this.
  20. vogelcommando