Join our zoo community

Possible trip to Duisburg and Koln

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Crowthorne, 16 Oct 2014.

1. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Well-Known Member

Hi everyone :)

For a while now I’ve been amusing myself by half-pretending planning a trip to Koln and Duisburg to visit their zoos, mostly because they both look great to visit (Koln for the elephants and hippos, Duisburg for Rio Negro), but just thinking has reached its limit and now I really want to actually plan a trip. Have been checking flights and hotels and things, but what I was really wondering is how easy is it to navigate around Germany? I don’t speak any German, but can try and pick up a few phrases.

My potential-trip currently stands at:
    Day one, fly to Koln from Stansted, day in Koln
    Day two, visit Koln Zoo, possibly travel by train up to Duisburg that evening
    Day three, visit Zoo Duisburg
    Day five, non-zoo sights, fly back to Stansted from Dusseldorf

I’ve only heard good things about the German trains, and the hotels seem reasonable, but are the zoos relatively easy to find and travel to? I'm very used to travelling on UK trains, but not sure if that will be good prep for the German trains!

I’ll admit, I’ve seen other people’s zoo-trip outlines, and they always look so packed (am here, pm there etc), which always sound so very exhausting, I’m a much more leisurely creature! Of course, if there are any other zoos in the same area worth a visit please let me know, or if you have any tips for train travel in the area, any advice will be much appreciated :)

2. lintworm

lintworm Moderator Staff Member

Getting around in English shouldn't be a problem, older German people won't speak english, but most young people will.

Getting to and from the zoos by public transport is really easy (and cheap compared to UK), you should check www.bahn.de for train schedules. There are direct underground trains to Cologne Zoo (from the Main station, Hauptbahnhof in german) and there is a tram (Strassenbahn) from Duisburg Hauptbahnhof directly to the zoo. You can also find schedules for those on www.bahn.de. If you do not travel with any ICE or IC trains (which is not necessary on those distances) you travel for 28.50 euro for a day, including trams/undergrounds/busses etc with the Nordrhein Westfalenticket:
    http://www.bahn.de/regional/view/regionen/nrw/freizeit/schoenertag_ticket.shtml

For 2-5 persons it is way cheaper already. You can buy such tickets at the ticket machines or at the counter.

I would not try to fit another zoo in your day at Cologne. But many people combine their trip to Duisburg with a short visit at Krefeld (a visit there should take 2-3 hours). But that is not necessary to have a great day, especially if you don't like to wake up early and go on all day.

If you are really fond of rare species you should consider visiting Wuppertal zoo too, but that takes about 5 hours to properly see, so that costs you a big part of day for ;).

3. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Well-Known Member

Hi Lintworm,

Thank you for all the information and advice, so very helpful! Been taking a look at the trains, wow, they really are cheap compared to the UK! Thank you too for pointing out Krefeld, had heard of it but hadn't realised just how close it was to Duisburg, and looking at the gallery Wuppertal really looks like a must! Especially if they still have the harpy eagle and takin :D Am always amazed at how many zoos there are in Germany!

Thank you again Lintworm, going to get planning this trip for sure! :)