Join our zoo community

Possible trip to Duisburg and Koln

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Crowthorne, 16 Oct 2014.

1. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

If you are visiting Duisburg to say Hi to Baby, do yourself a favour and go there super early and try see Baby first thing. He is almost always in play mode in the morning ;)
    If you visit on a wednesday or sunday (ehem, go visit an a wednesday ;)) you do not want to miss the weighing of the Koalas. Both Baby and the Koalas are on the left (main entrance) side of the zoo.

Dolphins are on the other side of the zoo past the bridge right before the new tiger enclosure.

Both Duisburg and Cologne are easily reached by tram, it is the 18 in Cologne direction Thielenbruch and 901 in Duisburg direction Mühlheim. Either trip will not take you longer than 5-10 minutes.

Crowthorne and FunkyGibbon like this.
  2. SabineB

Next to the Cologne zoo you will find the Flora it is entrance free

Last edited: 2 Mar 2018
    Crowthorne likes this.
  3. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

... while in Zoo Duisburg you can enjoy a Chinese Garden within the zoo grounds...;)

(Although I must confess that this garden can't mess with Flora Köln in size and species variety)

Crowthorne likes this.
  4. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Thank you all :) And thank you @SabineB for the Duisburg hints!

Welsh Zootographer likes this.
  5. Crowthorne

Well, the hotel and flights are booked. Now I'm officially on the list of Zoochatters anxiously watching the Zoo Duisburg threads :eek:

6. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

When are you going?

7. Crowthorne

I'll pm you :)

8. Crowthorne

Well, my trip to Cologne and Duisburg is raplidly approaching. As this is a big trip for me and as a return trip for any misses won't be as easy as a trip within the UK (and because I tend to accidentally miss something on every new-zoo trip), I've been making a list of things to aim for (as in, try not to miss) at each zoo (mammals are my thing, so that's what I'm aiming for, if I was to start looking at birds too I think my brain might melt, although I do really like birds, so that might be the next task...):

Cologne Zoo:
    Red-shanked Douc Langur
    Tree kangaroo
    Musk Ox
    Ring-tailed Vontsira (have seen these once before at RSCC, but would love to see them again)
    Balabac chevrotain
    Hausa Genet (if on show)
    Rufous Elephant Shrew
    Northern Luzon Cloud Rat
    Red Legged Sun Squirrel (only ones in Europe on ZTL)
    Geoffrey’s Cat

Duisburg Zoo:
    Baby the River Dolphin!
    Lowland Paca
    Tasmanian Devils
    Wombats
    Koalas
    Short Beaked Echidna
    Arctic foxes
    Banded Mongoose
    Fishing Cat
    Dolphin show

These are a mixture of last chance to sees/not seen befores/only ones in Europe/things I like/ones I never have any luck with (I'm looking at you Fishing Cats!)

If anyone has any further tidbits, hints, or fun new species that have appeared, I'd love to hear your news! Otherwise, first zoo-trip to continental Europe here I come! :)

9. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

You might not have seen Persian Leopard (Koln) before? Weddel's Tamarin in the Ape House is also the only holding in Europe I think. Also watch out for the Emperor Newts in the Aquarium; a real treat.
    At Duisburg Roloway Monkeys would presumably be a lifer.
    Have an awesome time!

Crowthorne likes this.
  10. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Seeing the two Andean Bear cubs at Duisburg would be a major bonus for me :)
    I've had to look back through my photos to remind me of the Tree Kangaroo at Cologne, but think it must have been sleeping most of the day. The Duisburg specimen was easier to see and photograph.

Crowthorne likes this.
  11. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

But Koln's is Matschie's, not Goodfellow's.

12. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m sitting here green with envy at the fact that you’re going to see Baby and I’m not:p. Anyways, this sounds like a great trip with two zoos that look delightful.

Crowthorne likes this.
  13. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Crowthorne didn't express a preference ;)
    Just looked at zootierliste and Duisburg has neither anymore according to that?

Anyway, I'd shoot up to Gelsenkirchen to see the Polar Bear cub!

14. Crowthorne

Thanks all :) @FunkyGibbon wow, yes had missed all of those, they're on the list. Also, @littleRedPanda your mention of the bear cubs reminded me of the grizzly at Cologne, and the Andean bears at Duisburg, both of which will also be lifers. Oh, this trip is going to be mind blowing! (or, maybe overwhelming. Or possibly both)

15. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

From your list:

Cologne Zoo:
    Red-shanked Douc Langur - easy
    Tree kangaroo - easy
    Musk Ox - very easy
    Ring-tailed Vontsira (have seen these once before at RSCC, but would love to see them again) - easy, very active, they have indoor and outdoor enclosure parts, the outdoor have wire mesh and is difficult to take decent photos, the indoor one have glass but is darker and animals usually prefair to stay in the outdoor side
    Balabac chevrotain - difficult, in deep rainforest exhibit with Great Argus and Channel-billed Cuckoo amongst others, probably you will see it passing through vegetation and not staying quiet at a point for photograph, not easy to see the whole floor from the high bridge
    Hausa Genet (if on show) - off show, sorry
    Rufous Elephant Shrew - impossible, they share exhibit of the sun squirrel, but they pass the day hidden
    Northern Luzon Cloud Rat - easy, but very dark enclosure for photos
    Red Legged Sun Squirrel (only ones in Europe on ZTL) - easy
    Geoffrey’s Cat - I didn't remember seeing them

Duisburg Zoo:
    Baby the River Dolphin! - easy, but early in the morning it's usually absent, check later in the coming hours
    Lowland Paca - difficult, they are just opposite to the river dolphin, but usually hidden unless staff gives them the food, I was fortunate for see them just when they are being fed
    Tasmanian Devils - easy, but TOO active, they run constantly through all the huge exhibit, so not easy for photos, exhibit have a low glass wall but the ground is very elevated with many logs and plants and rocks, so devils can run constantly out of sight
    Wombats - almost impossible, I passed many times to the wombat and reck-necked wallaby exhibit, and not the least sign of wombats, I guess they pass the day sleeping into a den
    Koalas - easy
    Short Beaked Echidna - easy and active
    Arctic foxes - easy, but you will see just a sleeping fur ball
    Banded Mongoose - I didn't remember those
    Fishing Cat - relatively easy, outdoor part of exhibit not good for photos, indoor part good, they pass many time inside the big hollow log that hang in the background, photos of entire cat maybe are not easy, but good for portraits of the head when they are inside the log
    Dolphin show - I skipped it (for sure I would have seen it if they still had Commerson's dolphins!!)

Crowthorne likes this.
  16. Crowthorne

Thanks for the info @Kakapo :) I don't mind too much if no photos, I much rather make a few sketches of things that inspire me on the day, and from that I find I remember the whole day much better for some reason. But a picture of Baby is a must!

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  17. SabineB

I would highly recommend the Duisburg Fossa-forest. They currently have fossa cubs and they are outside now.

Short Beaked Echidna should be currently off show as well as the tree kangoroo, because unless the wombat-mon and her son are moving out in the outdoor koala enclosure that is where they live. Which actually means, you will get to see Wombats either way.

Btw. there is a hollow trunk tree touching the glass with a view inside in the paca enclosure opposite Baby, and the last couple of times I went, one was always sleeping in it.

Crowthorne likes this.
  18. Crowthorne

Thank you for the hints @SabineB :) the Echidna isn't too much of a blow if it is off-show, I've happily watched the infamous Bruce at Paignton. The tree Kangaroo would be a shame though, since I missed the one that was briefly on-show in London. Hopefully catch the one at Cologne though, so at least one species is possible :) and fossa babies, yes! :p

19. SabineB

They are in the rainforest house and a sure bet in Cologne!

Attached Files:

20. Crowthorne

Excellent! :D