Join our zoo community

Possible trip to Duisburg and Koln

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Crowthorne, 16 Oct 2014.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I guess the fishes' plan of living in trees to escape bears isn't working out then?

Crowthorne and ShonenJake13 like this.
  2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Except of course that the information Google Maps gave Crowthorne would have added an extra fifty minutes to her journey time...

Crowthorne and ShonenJake13 like this.
  3. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

It doesn’t always work out for intercity journeys, I admit. Trying to plan trips from Berlin to Münster to Cologne, Warsaw to Łódź and just about anything at all in Czech Republic was a no-go for me. However the shorter journeys within one city I find to be very reliable usually. I used it to travel from Prague to Prague Zoo, Brno to Brno Zoo, Berlin to Berlin Zoo and Berlin Tierpark, Münster to Allwetter Zoo and Cologne to Kölner Zoo, from Arnhem to Burgers’ Zoo, and from Arnhem to Rhenen, all of which worked very well for me. As I said in my post though, for planning a trip from Cologne city centre to Cologne Zoo (a very short journey), the information is definitely 100% correct.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  4. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Maybe Google just hasn't had the Duisburg tram system added. Bahn.de have much better results (thanks @lintworm :) ) - just over an hour journey instead of Google's over 2 hours. As much as I'm OK with traveling 2-3 hours each way for a zoo, I'd much rather it was a lot less where possible :p

lintworm and FunkyGibbon like this.
  5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Funny thing is, I haven't been able to replicate this result on Google Maps myself - but it definitely has not had the tram system added, as attempting to search for a transit route between the two points in question defaults to telling you to walk to the zoo :p which is not quite as bad as the long roundabout method Crowthorne got.

https://goo.gl/maps/Q2zgegFizT52

6. Crowthorne

I wonder why it was telling me to go to Duissern and walk from there? It's a longer walk for a start. If it had just told me to walk from Duisburg central to the zoo, at 26minutes I would have been fine with that (and saves a little money). Silly Google.

7. Crowthorne

Ok so slightly odd question, but an important one; what is the food offering like at these zoos? I'm guessing Cologne is probably pretty decent for its size, and I've seen the infamous photo of the hotdog at Duisburg :confused: was just wondering if it was worth eating at the zoos or bringing food in (or stuffing our pockets at breakfast:p)

8. agnmeln

I would recommend to eat at the restaurant in Cologne for sure, but only if you like the fast food style of course. They have a fair choice of dishes, I had their cheeseburger which was good (you put all your own salad and sauce on so can pick and choose what you like and in what quantities) but in hindsight I wish I had ordered their safari nuggets (chicken nuggets in the shape of various animals) because I’m a 28 year old toddler and would have literally gained so much joy from that experience! Unfortunately I had just had chicken nuggets the day before at Allwetterzoo, though. I think you can find a menu online if you Google for it.

Edit: I found the menu for you -
    http://www.zoo-event.com/images/PDF/SpeisekarteZooRestaurant.pdf !

Last edited: 28 Apr 2018
    Crowthorne likes this.
  9. Crowthorne

Thank you Becca, that's really helpful :) especially the menu, whenever I tried following the link on the website I got a 404 error. I'm happy with fast food style, so long as there's food involved :p

10. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

At Cologne I had a bowl of chilli from a shack near the tigers (I think) which almost had me returning for a second portion.
    Duisburg to be fair, has a variety of sausages in bread.

Crowthorne likes this.
  11. agnmeln

For some reason the link only seems to work on the German version of the website. They had an awesome selection of sauces, too, which really matters to somebody like me who lives for sauce! They had sweet and sour sauce and pommes-frites sauce to dip in, and I had burger sauce (Big Mac style) and tomato relish on my cheeseburger. I love onions so I made my cheeseburger really oniony. Their fries were pretty good, too. Thinking about it is making me so hungry!!! Fast food is definitely my favourite type of food, so this was a real treat for me!

Crowthorne likes this.
  12. Crowthorne

@littleRedPanda mmmm, sausages in bread. I might find a Lidl on the way...

13. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I'm sure there was a selection of sauces too ;)

Crowthorne likes this.
  14. agnmeln

I kind of really want to sample this Duisburg delicacy, just to be able to say that I’ve had the experience!

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  15. Crowthorne

16. agnmeln

The chips at the top of the photograph actually don’t look too bad!

Crowthorne likes this.
  17. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Also, don't miss the Kori Bustards at Duisburg!

Crowthorne likes this.
  18. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Definitely - the weather was too cold for them to be allowed outside access when I visited in February, more's the pity!

Crowthorne likes this.
  19. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Was Brad Pitt one of the Inglorious Bustards?

littleRedPanda likes this.
  20. Crowthorne

Thanks both, they're now on the list :)