Join our zoo community

Possums? Can anyone help me find a zoo or wildlife park where they have possums?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gaga Bibs, 15 Jul 2014.

1. Gaga Bibs

Gaga Bibs New Member

Hi everyone,

Really looking for some help as my search elsewhere on the Internet is reaching a dead end :(

I'm trying to find a zoo, animal park, exhibit or anything where they have possums? It's proving rather difficult. I've contacted several and so far only London zoo have replied to say that they DON'T have possums there.

I realise they're not the best animals to exhibit as they're main behaviour is nocturnal but surely somewhere in England must house them?

Can anyone on this forum point me in the right direction?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There are no possums held in public collections within the United Kingdom; the closest relative of a possum held anywhere is the sugar glider, which is held in a few places.

Neither, incidentally, are there any opossums.

3. Gaga Bibs

Gaga Bibs New Member

Oh really?! That is a shame :(

Thanks for the heads up, maybe I'll have a look for some sugar gliders then if they're the closest relative.

Don't suppose you know of London Zoo has them, they're my local :)

Thanks again.

4. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to Zootierlist, Crystal Palace zoo is listed as having sugar gliders.

Also Birmingham Nature Centre, Colchester Zoo, Dartmoor Zoo, Noah's Ark Zoo Farm, Porfell and Thrigby Hall.

5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A few collections also hold cuscus, off the top of my head I can think of Bristol, Shorelands, Cotswold and the RSCC. Twycross also have them but are off show. I'm on my phone so can't post links but Zootierliste should be your friend, saves you messaging zoos! ;)

Last edited: 15 Jul 2014
  6. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Would Cuscus be of interest? Also a related species and a little bigger, kept at RSCC?

7. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

8. Gaga Bibs

Gaga Bibs New Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll check some of these out!

I definitely like the look of the cuscus :)

9. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

I suppose you could break into Halloween College if you're after sugar gliders, though they've probably broken out by now. We nearly washed a baby with the towels once, those things get everywhere.

What's Britain's best zoo for marsupials? I know Bristol have the only dasyurids in the country, and Chester have nowt with a pouch. Plenty of Zoos have red-necked and parma wallabies, aka "kangaroos" and "baby ones!".