Join our zoo community

Posting new threads

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Arizona Docent, 26 Dec 2017.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am in the process of cleaning up and merging several threads in the USA forums, some of which were created by me years ago. Since I have learned that some of my previous actions were unnecessary, I am offering advice to all members (and especially our newer members). Please note this is NOT meant as a criticism of anyone (except maybe myself), just some things I have learned.

It may not be necessary to create an entirely new thread for one piece of zoo news. Just post it in that zoo's news thread unless it is likely to generate significant responses as a unique topic.

Please use the prefix for a specific zoo when you create a thread related to a zoo. (The prefix is the blue bar that goes in front of the thread title). If the zoo you are noting is not yet listed on ZooChat, please use the Gallery Request Thread and ask an administrator to add it.

Unfortunately, the blue prefix bar does not show up in ZooChat's own search engine. It is helpful for the purpose of finding a thread if you repeat the zoo name in your thread title. Instead of just using the prefix for Hilandia Zoo and then titling the thread News, title the thread Hilandia Zoo News.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2017
    Brum and snowleopard like this.
  2. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

However, it is still really helpful when they organized by year. It doesn’t have to be an every year thing, but making a thread intended to span a few years (like this: Moonlit Sanctuary - Moonlit Sanctuary 2017-2020) for facilities that don’t receive too much “traffic” helps those of us tracking info from a certain year. If something changes and the zoo gets a lot of news, the year can always be amended by a moderator. It’s a little thing, but indefinitely more helpful than “Hilandia Zoo news thread 2.”

Arizona Docent and Fallax like this.
  3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes I actually removed the section of my post that suggests naming the threads "news 2" or "news 3". It was pointed out to me that what you suggest is exactly correct - a span of years is much more helpful (in fact I am editing several USA threads to reflect this). For zoos that receive very little traffic I am just leaving it as "news" with no year specified, since all that zoo's news from every year is in one place.

(Edit - I have altered my original post for clarification)

Last edited: 29 Dec 2017