Join our zoo community

potential expansion species list

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by LARTIS, 13 Mar 2020.

1. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member 5+ year member

this thread is dedicated to species that are well established within certain countries or regions and could be exported to facilities outside these area

2. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Can you give an example to get the ball rolling?

3. LARTIS

each continent have big breeding groups of either native species or less common yet given exotic species

i have seen bigger groups of
    bawean deer in south east asian collections
    qnd given the fact that the european population is tiny an import might be considered

there should be q lot of native animals well established in australia thaz could be exported but i do not know which are so maybe some locals could share their knowledge

abother topic is if the other way around countries or regions for example the aza and eaza should manage some species differently for example some langur species are kept in the usa and australia and europe for exanple the spectacled leaf monkey but each with just a few animal except europe with a few more so either expand the programm and get new animals and actually start an international breeding programm or just region wise

in general i would like to see more equality for people around the world when it comes to the species kept
    europe is sort of the capital species wise followed by america and asia
    but ocenia got less of a share

i think long term zoos have to move over to bigger populations both within the instituzion themself to much time has been wasted waiting for a potential partner when they could keep more than one couple what does quiet often not even match their natural social life
    for example in case a couple does not get along they could switch partners more easily

i know a lot of people think that would mean a loss of a lot of species but that doss not have to be true the zoos would just have to create better exhibits and leave the old system behind

a lot of species come and go with this one couple idea

4. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Ok well here is an easy one, the platypus is usually only found in Australia except for the one recently added to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
    Also, China technically owns all giant pandas (if any zoo outside of China has them then it is on loan) so most of them are found in zoos in China.

5. LARTIS

just reread the native-mammals-in-australian-zoos thread and recognized that not just the representation of species but also on a local level is lacking
    the only species kept commonly and are yet little represented outside their native range are the two wombat species and echidna

does any one know why there are so little of these outsife of australia and why they are so little numbers of certain species

also here the first view species that are numerous rescues and could be exported the foue common fruit bat species
    black - pteropus alecto
    spectacled - pteropus conspsilliatus
    grey headed - pteropus poliocephalus
    little red - pteropus scapulatus

the alpine dingo project could be expanded internationally

rodents like hopping mice notomys species and plains rats - pseudomys australis are kept and breed
    others might too

tiger quolls and pademelon should be equally easy to be exported and established
    just like certain possum species (northern brushtail - trichosurus arnhemsis and spotted cuscus - spilocuscus maculatus) that should not differ too much from those allready kept in europe for example
    dunnart in comparisson to kowaris

this for mammals of australia right now

6. LARTIS

i forgot to mention quokkas and overlooked hamertons hopping mice
    and fish thaz i wqs about to mention

a good indicator for potential expansion species is the pet trade and i do not like to day this but any way

there are a lot of reptile and bird species in australia that could be exported along some freshwater fish and invertebrates
    especially interesting are the tasmanian giant craydish that breed succeafully in captivity recently for the first time

i also wanted to make list for new zealand and recognized that they have the same situation going on like australia with very few ecotic but also just a small number of native species kept

does any one know why there are so small numbers of both species and individuals

any way here are a few kiwi species that could be exported
    beginning with the kiwis themself i wonder why the nz institutions do not focus more on the more threatened species and give awqy more north island kiwis
    and also establish a captive breeding programm for the spotted kiwis
    another common bird is the kaka
    antipodes parakeets seem be another potential candidate with quiet a few institutions keeping them
    i do not know how many of the nz duck species are kept privately around the world aince they are one of the most common species to be found in private aviaries but not public parks but the captive popukations should be big enough either way
    bellbirds seem to be common enough
    and saddlebacks could need a captive breeding programm that might be expanded one day
    weta and pukekos along the nz green fruit dove are common enough to be exported unlike the takahe that might be better of near their native comapions
    tuataras and geckos along skinks would be a good option and the food source of some of them the weta crickets
    it would also be nice if more fish species from oceania along with crayfish would be shown

by the way the number of species kept putside of new zealand is big enough along with look alikes to create a nz theme
    so it rathee the zoos that lack the courage to try something new when quiet a few always look for somwthing the other institutons do not have

sorry for the spelling being off key

7. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Both the rarer kiwi (Little Spotted & Okarito) as well as the saddlebacks and many other NZ species are already managed very intensively by the NZ Department of Conservation, to such an extent that for some species it basically reflects zoo practices with studbooks, transfers between different locations etc. For now there is no overcapacity and NZ zoos already collaborate with DoC on these programs (e.g. Saddlebacks in Auckland zoo are surplus stock from the "wild"). There is no need for zoos overseas to get involved here and the laws with regards to exporting animals from NZ, especially reptiles, are very very strict.

Please check and adapt it before you post, your longer posts can be hard to follow due to all the typos.

PossumRoach likes this.
  8. LARTIS

i do know of the work by the DoC and am aware that it works conservation wise but the reason why i mentioned a captive breeding programme brings up two the reason why animals are kept in captivity back up population to minimize the threat the species face in wild both invasive predators with only of shore islands and fenced island like areas being small and therefor prone to other natural disasters the second reason is educational purpose

like u mentioned they are kept in captivity and it is a whole conversation on its own which and when species should be kept in captivity

tho i would like to mention two things

i read how nz tries to deal with the threat their enviorment faces and their awareness thry could not safe all species and therefor developed an algorism calculating simplified the value of species

what made me immediately think that those species sort of sacrifieced could be rather exported

the laws are man made and like i mentioned before arguable

yet since this thread is about the potential expansion aka new species kept worldwide less likely

the second thing i wanted mentioned was something a keeper working at kiwi center in nz said in a documentary and that was they were chronically underfunded and relied on volnutary work and otherwise could not safe the same number of chicks

i do not know what the name of the documentary was since back then i did picture myself ever using that information

therefor i can not say if this representative but i think they mentioned they were the biggest and due that most relevant hatchery for kiwis

i followed how auckland tried to get orange fronted parakeets and the saddlebacks and it seem quiet difficult and i asked myself a bit how well and tight the conservation department and the public institutions work together

i do not know how normal it is for a native to see certain species and what part they play in the kiwi culture but i expected a bit more representation what equally applies to australia

also a bit for the oversea terrtories of the uk maybe even other countries

9. LARTIS

Tho this threat does not have an impact of what species d actualy get added to european inatitutions I believe it would educate about captive programs and in the wild.
    Any way inform about species and who knows maybe manage to create a broader interest of some species that might translate to an actual impact, and if not
    do not we all like to dream a bit.

10. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would like to see European zoos export some geladas to the United States.