Join our zoo community

Poznan Zoo (New) Poznan New zoo news

Discussion in 'Poland' started by Kifaru Bwana, 18 Feb 2012.

1. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Recently 2 Dalmatian pelicans (Pelecanus crispus) hatched and a month ago a Great white pelican (Pelecanus onocrotalus) hatched.

Source:
    Instagram of Poznan zoo (11/07/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CRL-hByht3b/

Haliaeetus, Antoine and twilighter like this.
  2. JurassicMax

4 weeks ago a King Colobus (Colobus polykomos) was born! Not sure if it's a male or female, given that google translate isn't so accurate. Could someone tell what the gender is?

Source:
    Instagram of Poznan Zoo (14/08/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CSjSQeNKxPR/

Antoine likes this.
  3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A male with name "Neo". That post also tells us only 47 individuals in 8 collections live in Europe.

JurassicMax likes this.
  4. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As a mammal lover, Poznan always been high on my Bucket list and finally reached the place today. Seems like Poznan's director have different vision for the re-opening, than Wroclaw's and some parts of the zoo were closed. Most notably the Nocturnal house. I knew this in advance, but is still sad to miss few unique mammalian species, like Vampire bat.

Nevertheless, had more time to explore the other parts of the collection , which is enormous, but a big part of its territory is not in use. The train is a good option, if you want to cross the lake, which divading the zoo in two parts.

I have to admit, that I like more the "Old" part, or one close to the entrance.

It's packed with a "Nuremberg" type spacious wood enclosures for very ingeresting Ungulates, like Bawean Deer, Prince Alfred's Deer, Javan Rusa, Sable Antilope, Sichuan Takin, Nubian Ibex with King Colobus, Grevy's Zebra/Black Gnu etc. The Birds of Prey and Pheasant collection is also very extensive.

Since the Nocturnal house was out of the picture, my focus was on the most delicious part of the zoo: The Small Carnivore area.
    This place is a reall ZooChater wet dream.
    First excibit: Nandina is on show and I spot movement inside for a few seconds. Tried many more times off-course, but no more luck,so need to revisit asap :)
    The rest of the list is also worth count:
    Non-specific Leopard Cat
    Northern yellow-throated marten
    Two very active European Minks
    Dwarf Mongooses
    At least five "Crasy" Siberian Weasels
    Malayan Binturong
    Two Jaguarundies
    Two South African bat-eared fox
    Caracal
    Amur Leopard Cat
    Meerkats
    Two Manuls
    Three European Wild Cats

The "new" part of the zoo wants to impress and it does, especially when it comes to the size of the the exhibits, but I felt like been visiting a newly built city quarter in the middle of nowhere. Please take this only as personal opinion and curious to hear what others think.

The Elephant facility, is no doubt very futuristic and modern. It's 3500 sq. meters building and 2 hectares outdoor area deserve respect from any European zoo.

They could put some more creativity when it comes to the Tigers and Lions, which are just fenced in a flat forest area. This approach works fine for Brown Bears (They have a wooden bridge, as well) and Wolfs, but feels bit boring for the Big Cats.

Giraffe/Rhino building is most probably very functional, but I see it more like a office building, than like a zoo house. The Rhinos are yet to come.

The Ring tailed Lemur Island in the lake, on the other side, is a real gem.

The zoo doesn't really have any bad areas and new enclousures are under construction, so I would love to return here and in Poland soon , especially given the fact, that Lodz is going to claim the glory from his Big brothers at the end of the year :)

Last edited: 3 Oct 2021
  5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Very nice to hear that the Nandinia are onshow :) I had to contact the collection in advance to get permission to view them offshow back in 2019.

It sounds like you had a lot more luck with the European Mink than I did - despite multiple attempts, they were a persistent no-show for us, although the Siberian Weasels were extremely active and visible.

Anything interesting to report from the nearby complex of small rodent enclosures?

twilighter likes this.
  6. twilighter

Yes, the both European Minks were surprisingly active almost all the time. I heard that Nandina became more active during the day, so have to try again. The rodent complex was off-access unfortunately and even, if you can take a look from outside nothing really was visible :( There is a quite a lot of reasons to revisit :)

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

That surprises me, considering that it is all outdoors!

But as you say, definitely somewhere worth returning to - certainly I would like to do so next time I visit Poland, along with (obviously) a return to Wroclaw.

Antoine likes this.
  8. twilighter

Let's return, when they open the Nocturnal House and to try the chances again with Nandina.We can organise a Polish tour :) Wroclaw looks better and better. I am sure you will enjoy it a lot and find improvments since your last visit. Lodz also will be intresting destination very soon, when they open the Oceanarium.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2021
    Antoine likes this.
  9. JurassicMax

10. JurassicMax

In June 3 Ural owls (Strix uralensis) hatched, in July they were send to Austria and will eventually be released into the wild there

In June a Caracal (Caracal caracal) was born.

In July atleast 1 European lowland-bison (Bison bonasus bonasus) was born.

Sources:
    Instagram of Zoo Poznan (01/06/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CPk3yHXBQvH/
    Instagram of Zoo Poznan (08/07/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CREy-cvBeMI/
    Instagram of Zoo Poznan (17/06/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CQOelDHh674/
    Instagram of Zoo Poznan (08/07/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CREqOLbhGo1/

Antoine and Haliaeetus like this.
  11. JurassicMax

12. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No subspecies.It was one of the tigers saved on the Polish-Belarusian border two years ago. Transport from Italy to Dagestan, Russia. Probably to be killed and used in traditional Chinese medicine.

13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ThylacineAlive and JurassicMax like this.
  14. JurassicMax

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  15. twilighter

Poznan received two Black Rhinos from Dvur Kralove. New speices for the zoo. They have White Rhinos as well.

kiang, JurassicMax and ThylacineAlive like this.
  16. vogelcommando

17. JurassicMax

A few months a male Rothschild's giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis rothschildi) named Tacari arrived at the zoo.

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Poznan (18/08/2022)

18. JurassicMax

SivatheriumGuy likes this.
  19. JurassicMax

20. vogelcommando

A few weeks ago a Tamandua was born at the zoo :) :

JurassicMax likes this.