Join our zoo community

Oregon Zoo Predators of the Serengeti

Discussion in 'United States' started by Bongo, 9 Sep 2008.

1. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have found plans for the Predators of the Serengeti exhibit which is being built at the Oregon Zoo. This is an exhibit once it is finished I would love to visit. If the Oregon Zoo is your local Zoo I would love it if you could keep me posted about this development.

The link also has the plans for the Red Ape Reserve.

This is the link for the plans

OREGON ZOO

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I have been to that zoo 3 times in the past 3 years, as it is a 5 hour drive to get there. In my thread "Snowleopards epic road trip" I posted a comprehensive review last month, and will certainly visit in the summer of 2009 once both Red Ape Reserve and Predators of the Serengeti open to the public. At that time I'll post a long review on ZooBeat that will describe the new exhibits. The Oregon Zoo has been breaking attedance records for the past few years, and in 2007 there were 1.5 million visitors. I wonder if that number will be significantly boosted in 2009, as it's going to be a massive year for the expanding zoo.

3. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I wished there was plans available for the exhibits coming to the Los Angeles Zoo.

4. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

THANK YOU so much!

5. RAR Designer

RAR Designer New Member

Construction is Underway

Even though Red Ape Reserve was going to open before Predators of the Serengeti, the priorities at the zoo have changed.
    Both projects are cooking now, but Serengeti appears to have a slight lead. It should open ahead of red Ape...sometime in Summer '09.

6. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any news on an opening date or photos of the construction.

7. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No hyenas. What a surprise. (sarcasm)

8. snowleopard

"Predators of the Serengeti" is tentatively scheduled to open on August 29th, and "Red Ape Reserve" will be a little later in the year. I emailed the zoo and that was the response that I received.

9. snowleopard

Five lion sculptures have been unveiled to the press, and they will be placed at the entrance of the new "Predators" exhibit. There are extra sculptures if anyone has a spare $100,000 at their disposal.:)

10. DeydraOZ

DeydraOZ Well-Known Member

There's been a date change in the opening. A (still) tentative opening is set for September 12 and 13. I'd imagine our extreme heat wave put construction back a bit.

Oh and there's going to be an African Bull Frog, and three Tanzanian Starburst Spiders *shudders*

11. snowleopard

12. mstickmanp

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  13. snowleopard

Grand opening on September 12th for this $5 million set of habitats, which used to be the Alaskan Tundra section of the zoo. There are 2 cheetahs, 3 lions, 5 African wild dogs and a handful of other predators:

Oregon Zoo Predators of the Serengeti Exhibit Grand Opening

From the zoo's website:

Predators of the Serengeti opens to the public Sept. 12, featuring expansive naturalistic environments and nose-to-whisker views of some of Africa's most endangered carnivores. Other animals joining the exhibit include caracals, red-billed hornbills, dwarf mongooses and an African rock python.

There are two photos of the lions in their new exhibit in this informative press release:

Oregon Zoo August 2009 Press Releases

14. mstickmanp

Here are three videos of the both the Cheetahs and Lions in their new exhibits:

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  15. snowleopard

Thanks for posting the videos Mario! It is difficult to gauge the size of the exhibits from the footage, as there was nothing much but close-ups of the big cats. However, the cheetah yard looks good and both enclosures have plenty of grass and heated rocks. There are going to be 5 African wild dogs in another large habitat, plus caracals, mongooses, pythons and hornbills. I'll have to think about visiting this fall.:)

16. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Maybe you should wait until Red Ape Reserve opens as well before visiting snowleopard, that way you don't have to make two trips (You might be a bit busy by then though ;))

Great videos Mario, tahnk you very mcuh for posting those

Just my thought on the exhibits

They extremely large, ncie and grassy and could easily be runner ups to Pretador Ridge at Denver, Pride of the Plains at Witchita and Lion Camp at SDWAP

The only thing thse exhibits lack is the real, top notch theming

17. Quartz92

Quartz92 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I really like the exhibits, the cheetahs seem extramly active! Looks great!

One question I have is: do the animals have views to other animal exhibits, like prey animals, cause they seem to be looking at something in the distance?

18. DeydraOZ

Hmm. I think the only animal that has access to prey animals is the Caracal. I heard that they built this track that allows the mongoose to travel into the cat exhibit.

I've also heard that the Lion exhibit is "dog proof'' meaning that the wild dogs will have access to the lion exhibit when the lions are in holding. Pretty interesting enrichment.

19. DeydraOZ

Just got back from the Volunteer preview.
    The exhibits are absolutely amazing. You can be NOSE to NOSE with all of the predators. The female lions will run up to the glass and paw/chase little kids who run around the glass. Keepers may or may not try to keep the behavior minute.

The Wild Dogs are settling in well. The three usually stick together since they're a very close band of brothers. They can be seen walking in line, or sleeping together in a ball. One will also call out to the sound makers that are across the exhibit.

The Cheetahs are also settling in well. They often spend their time in the back, but will come up close. One cheetah is still pretty nervous about people and hisses, and once in a while attacks the window if a small kid is around. But they do spend time resting on the rocks, and curled up on each other.

The Caracal and Mongoose are not on exhibit just yet.

20. mstickmanp

Did you take photos of the exhibits?