Join our zoo community

Oregon Zoo Predators of the Serengeti

Discussion in 'United States' started by Bongo, 9 Sep 2008.

1. FSBlue

FSBlue Well-Known Member

Sounds amazing, can't wait to see some pictures

2. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

I've been anticipating this exhibit for about 3 years so this is very exciting!

Its interesting that the male lion, Zawadi, is already fully intergrated with the females while at National Zoo, they also have had a male and two females for three years and thye have not even begun barrier intro's yet (Altough they plan to this winter)

3. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

4. tkrbl

tkrbl New Member

I posted some pictures from the grand opening to the gallery. They are mostly of the animals but I put in some notes about the exhibits. In addition to the animal areas there is also a new "Discovery Room" where the public can learn about the cultures of Africa. I'll make a point of taking some pictures of the exhibit areas next time I am up there.

5. mstickmanp

Thanks for the photos!

6. DeydraOZ

DeydraOZ Well-Known Member

Female Caracal, Peggy, has been moved from hospital holding to her new exhibit holding. She may be on exhibit within the week.

7. mstickmanp

how about the other smaller animals (mongoose, hornbill, etc)?

8. DeydraOZ

The hornbill is on exhibit. There is only one right now, no idea if there will be any more. And the mongoose are still being waited on. There's some legalities and paper work to get them transferred.

There's also a few spiders, scorpion, and a bull frog in the discovery room. And in the same room as the hornbill and python are in there are a pair of agama lizards.

9. mstickmanp

The zoo posted a video about the enrichment tunnels in the caracal exhibit.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  10. Talaaya

Talaaya New Member

Does anyone remember the name of the male lion that the Oregon Zoo had in the old exhibit years ago? I'm racking my brain and I can't remember it for the life of me.

11. DeydraOZ

My last visit to the zoo I noticed that there are now FOUR wild dogs TOGETHER.
    The three brothers, Widdle, Wally, and Wooster have been at the zoo since the Predator's exhibit opening. A single female named Topaz arrived...maybe a year ago, and was always by herself. This is because the boys are now privately owned after the zoo in Canada where the dogs came from went under. And their owner will not allow the dogs to breed.
    But now Topaz is with the boys. Either the zoo got premise to breed, or Topaz is on birth control.

But it's VERY nice to see her with the boys. I've only seen them sleeping, but at least she's not alone.
    She's the smallest of the group and has the most white splotches on her forelegs.