Join our zoo community

Prehistoric Zoo or Aquarium

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Deinosuchus, 12 Jun 2015.

1. Deinosuchus

Deinosuchus Member

This is my first Zoochat thread, and I want to go big. I know this has probably been repeated about 200 times, but I'm asking all you people out there to make a prehistoric zoo or aquarium!
    The most important thing is have FUN!!!
    The animals can range anywhere from Precambrian to 50 years ago.
    Think of mixed species exhibits. Visitors love mixed species exhibits.
    Describe the enclosures, tanks, terrariums, and exhibits.
    The exhibits will have to be fun, interesting, and fascinating in order to keep them coming back for more.
    Feeding shows and other shows and presentations draw people. Keep this in mind.
    This doesn't need to be some low key town zoo, but doesn't need to be Jurassic Park either. Don't make it to small and insignificant: you paid lots of money to create these creatures. But don't make it too expensive so that you go broke either. Just take it easy and you'll be fine.
    Can be zoo or aquarium, or both. Doesn't matter which one you choose.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Last edited: 13 Jun 2015
  2. Ortolan bunting

Ortolan bunting Well-Known Member

do i describe the entire zoo at one time or can describe parts of the zoo occasionally?

3. Deinosuchus

Deinosuchus Member

Either or. I don't mind at all. :)

4. Ortolan bunting

my prehistoric zoo part 1

entrance

the entrance is large and has a big sign that says prehistoric world and
    in front of the entrance stands a large statue of a carnotaurus.Once you have entered the zoo and you'll see a large resturant and some bathrooms.

the first exhibit

the first exhibit is a 15 meter wide and 8 meter high aviary for passenger pigeons (Ectopistes migratorius). the enclosure is full of trees shrubs and a few ponds. The trees in the cage are mostly Alder trees and pine trees.
    why the aviary is so big is because prehistoric world have many many pigeons

5. Deinosuchus

Deinosuchus Member

I like it. Can't wait for more!

6. Ortolan bunting

thanks Deinosuchus

7. Deinosuchus

Deinosuchus Member

No problem :)

8. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member

I have two exhibit ideas I thought I would share for you.

The first is a Carboniferous Bug House. Haven't decided if the visitors should be supplied breathing apparatuses and have it be walk-through or have the visitors on the other side of a glass wall. Either way, the house will be a dome that contains an atmosphere reminiscent of the high-oxygen Carboniferous jungle swamps. The entire exhibit will be forested with plants from that era (I know virtually nothing of paleobotany, so I'll leave the exact types up to debate). Animals will include giant arthropods such as Arthropleura and Pulmonoscorpius, with free-flying giant mayflies and Meganeura. Scampering on the ground would be early reptiles like Petrolacosaurus, Hylonomus, or Archaeothyris. In the water would be large amphibians like Pederpes, Eogyrinus, Crassigyrinus, or Proterogyrinus. Maybe also the limbless Ophiderpeton.

The other exhibit idea is for South America right before the ice age. It would include a very large (3+ acres) paddock for Macrauchenia and Toxodon. Other enclosures would include glyptodonts and Megatherium. Finally there would be a carnivore area, with enclosures for Phorusrhacos and Smilodon.

9. Deinosuchus

Deinosuchus Member

I agree, I know nothing about different species of prehistoric plants
    What is the largest cycad to ever exist?
    Uhhh... OOO, I know! Lepidodendron!
    It sounds really good and detailed, I didn't even know what the heck the Pederpes something is!!
    Really good, keep up the good work!

10. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

Was typing up a zoo, but accidentally deleted it. Fail fail fail. I'll post later. I'm making two facilities: one a more traditional Jurassic Park style zoo, and the other an aquarium.

11. Deinosuchus

Deinosuchus Member

Ooohh, it sounds fantastic! Can't wait!
    I'm sorry that you accidentally deleted it. That's really unfortunate. Oh, well. It should come out better this time in case you remember something, like an enclosure that you didn't have before, or an animal you forgot.

12. Gforrestersmith

Gforrestersmith Well-Known Member

I got a perfect idea for a park with Prehistoric animals.

It would called "Extinction Park" and it would be located somewhere on a medium to large island in the South Pacific. It would cost $500 for adults and $300 for kids. There would also be a hotel resort near the park.

Here's the exhibits and animals:

Recent Extinctions: This area is home to animals whose extinctions were caused by over hunting from humans. They include natural looking habitats for the following species: Thylacine, Warrah, Quagga and Elephant Bird.

Giant Eagle Cage: This is a large flight cage for the mighty Haasts Eagle of New Zealand. It includes lots of space where the birds can fly freely. It is very similar to a flight cage for modern birds of prey, only bigger.

The Crested Hunter: This is home to four to six Dilophosaurus. It includes various ferns and plants for these dinosaurs to cover themselves from visitors whenever they want.

Microraptor Flight Cage: Home to about ten to twenty Microraptors, this cage allows people to go in and observe these amazing gliding and feathered dinosaurs.

Ice Age Predators: This includes large habitats for three predators from the time of the Ice Age- the Smilodon, Dire Wolf and Phorusrhocus.

The Extinct Aviary: This is a large, walk through jungle aviary that is home to the following extinct birds- Great Auk, Dodo, Pink Headed Duck, Labrador Duck, Hawaiian Rail, Heath Hen, Reunion Ibis, Spectacled Cormorant, Passenger Pigeon, Carolina Parakeet, Cuban Macaw, Stephans Island Wren and Ivory Billed Woodpecker.

Ice Age Trek: This large area allows visitors to ride a large safari bus through a very large habitat for the following animals from the Ice Age- Woolly Mammoth, American Mastodon, Woolly Rhinoceros, Tarpan, Aurochs, Irish Elk, Dwarf Pronghorn, Giant Beaver, Giant Ground Sloth (not sure which species) and Glyptodon.

Land of the Longnecks: This is the largest habitat in the park. It's home to a herd of Apatosaurus. It also includes a lake and comes with a stand where visitors are allowed to feed the dinosaurs for a fee.

Velociraptors: a neatly sized habitat for a large pack of velociraptors.

Triceratops Crossing: Another large habitat for the Triceratops.

T-Rex Territory: This is home to one of the main attractions of the park- a pair of Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Dino Trail: Home to the following dinosaurs- Iguanodon, Gallimimus, Stygimoloch, Troodon, Oviraptor, Protoceratops, Compsognathus and Coelophsis and Incisivosaurus. There is also a large habitat for Carnotaurus, a large carnivore that might be as attractive to visitors as T-Rex.

Permian House: Home to Dimetrodon, Edaphosaurus, Seymouria, Eryops and Diplocaulus.

Giant Lizards: a large habitat for Megalania.

Crocodile Pond: a large pool and some islands for the giant Sarcosuchus.

Farm: The farm grows various fruits and vegetables for the herbivores in the park as well as insects for insectivores, chickens for small predators like Thylacines, Warrahs and Compsognathus, and herds of sheep and horses for the large carnivores, from Dire wolves, troodons and velociraptors to Carnotaurus and Tyrannosaurus Rex.

What do you think?

13. Deinosuchus

Deinosuchus Member

I love it! It's very interesting, and I think visitors would love it too!

14. TheMightyOrca

Spent too long on the aquarium post, so it didn't go through when I submitted it. Went back to try and save it, but it wouldn't let me do that either. How disappointing, my aquarium was so cool. :( But I'm copying the zoo text to make sure I don't lose THAT! Third time's the charm! But I'm not typing up the aquarium, takes too long.

15. zooboyabroad

zooboyabroad Well-Known Member

Gforrestsmith your idea is cool but it needs a lot more detail to make it interesting.

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

if you spend too long typing in the reply box the site times you out (as you discovered). Type it on a document (wordpad or whatever) and then cut and paste it.

17. TheMightyOrca

That's what I've been doing now. What really bums me out is that your post is gone even if you press "back".

18. Deinosuchus

Deinosuchus Member

Anyone else?

19. TheMightyOrca

I'll just touch up my aquarium and post it by tonight. :)

20. Deinosuchus

Deinosuchus Member

Sounds good!