Join our zoo community

Présentation - PogoFord

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PogoFord, 22 Aug 2021.

1. PogoFord

PogoFord Member

Hi ZooChat !

I've been following you for a few weeks now and decided it was about time I give a real try to the community.

I'm from St-Felicien, Quebec, Canada. I am a biologist and have been very interested and invested in the world of zoos since I was young.

Now that covid is -let's hope- finally maybe getting less terrible, I'm considering trying to up my game a little and visit more and more zoos across the world. So I thought coming here was a good starter.

It may appear from some words I'll use sometimes but I speak French as a first language. So if there's any help you need on translations or informations on french Canadian zoos it'll be pleasure for me to help. I may have a few years experience in the matter.

Hope you all have a nice day !

Bengal Tiger and HungarianBison like this.
  2. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Hello, I am new member as well.

3. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Welcome to ZooChat PogoFord!

4. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Welcome.

5. Mai Thai

Mai Thai Well-Known Member

6. StellarChaser

StellarChaser Well-Known Member

@PogoFord Hi, I am quite interested in Zoo Sauvage de Saint-Felicien in your hometown, but it is so remote since it takes such long time driving from the big cities to there (3 hours from Quebec City and 5 hours from Montreal), and it seems no public traffic available from any city to St-Felicien? That zoo has about 80 hectares so it can take a long walk to complete, I worry that after finishing the zoo I will be exhausted and not able to drive long-distance.

7. PogoFord

PogoFord Member

Hi ! Our town is indeed remote. Luckily, I think there are a few things that could help you.

It is 3h from Quebec, and the road to get there is very beautiful, specially in autumn. My friend and I often do the trip back and forth on the same day to go shopping and visit the aquarium, and it is not that bad as long as you like to drive.

There's also a lot of places to sleep in St-Felicien if ever you prefer to wait for the morning to go back, or if you want to spend a couple days in the region.

As for transportation, there are no public and cheap ways to come here, but if you prefer taking the bus than the car, Intercar has a bus doing the route couple times a day (might be less somedays since covid), I used to travel with them a lot when I was a student in Quebec. It's about 120$ for the whole round trip.

Lastly, if that can help, while the Zoo is in fact huge, a large portion of it is on a 1 hour train ride. The rest takes about 3-4h for normal families to visit ; I would recommend more for people who like to watch animals or for photographs.

If you have any other question, feel free to ask, I know the place deeply. :)