Join our zoo community

Previous and current lions at DAK

Discussion in 'United States' started by Davdhole, 2 Jul 2022.

1. Davdhole

Davdhole Well-Known Member 5+ year member

* I thought I posted this in the Disney thread, but I can't seem to delete the post, so is it possible this could be moved there?

It's obvious that the lions, or at least the male lion, that Disney has now isn't the one from many years ago. For example, older pictures and videos show a bigger-maned male. My first visit to the park was 2012 if I remember correctly, and I recall seeing this lion.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/444519425690767111/

In recent visits (2017-2022) as well as recent media, I've seen Dakari, whose mane is smaller and lighter.
    Caring for Disney Animals: All About Lions

Now obviously zoos trade out animals all the time, so I'm not confused or anything. I would just like to know about the previous male, where he came from to live at Disney, and where he's gone. I would also love to know Dakari's history. I can't find much info myself on the lions, and I'm sure there's someone out there who knows more than I do and can tell me. I already know at least one of Disney's big cats' history, with Sohni being born at the zoo I volunteered at years ago, so knowing the background on my other favorite big cat at my favorite zoo would be nice.