Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Pridelands Redevelopment

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 12 May 2015.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Auckland Zoo have begun their Pridelands Redevelopment, which appears to involve the area between the Lion viewing hut and Giraffe feeding platform area. The redevelopment will include a walkthrough aviary for the Zoo's large Lovebird colony and a Meerkat exhibit, and I'm hoping there will be further additions, ideally Fennec Fox, reptiles, and other birds (African Greys perhaps). This looks to be quite a big addition to the zoo, and will see that area closed off, with a temporary boardwalk being built across the giraffe enclosure currently to maintain flow. There are some artists impressions on the Zoo's Facebook page now.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the Facebook album for the photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152873729416984.1073741938.57062666983&type=1

That aviary look like it will be rather large, which is good. I wonder if they plan on having more than just the lovebirds?

no foxes allowed in NZ unfortunately. I don't think an exception would be made for fennecs. (Although having said that, mongooses aren't allowed either but meerkats get a pass, probably because they don't have "mongoose" in their name, so I would be happy to be wrong about fennecs).

3. zooboy28

Yes, the aviary does look too big for just the Lovebirds, although there are a good number of them. I suggested they might add African Greys (I don't know if they could be mixed with people or lovebirds, but they might have some of the aviary sectioned off), which they used to have at least, but I'm not sure what other options they have for African birds. Maybe a dove species? Its rather limited.

I didn;t realise Fennecs weren't allowed. They would be a nice addition though.

4. Chlidonias

maybe it's not an aviary. Maybe it's a walk-through ring-tailed lemur enclosure.

EDIT: never mind, I found the comments on one of the photos which say it will be a "free-flight aviary" for the lovebirds. (And the comment by one visitor: "Aren't there enough bird aviaries already at the zoo, seems like the pridelands area is being reduced and birds are not as exciting to view as the large African animals roaming in a larger space." :rolleyes:)

5. zooboy28

Yeah, I just went through the new comments, there's quite a lot of negative ones concerned about the reduction of the Pridelands, which seem misguided as I don't think much if any space will be lost. The development seems more in the non-exhibit escarpment area, where there are currently some dated huts and termite mounds (indeed the development is/was to be called Pridelands Escarpment). As for the "aren't there enough aviaries already" comment, that goes to show what the general public are interested in, but its certainly not a sentiment I share.

6. zooboy28

I just saw an earlier comment from the Zoo stating the expected completion date is January 2016.

7. Chlidonias

the zoo has posted a Youtube video of the Pridelands development so far. The lovebird aviary looks really big (e.g. height-wise it has a full-grown tree inside it). Also the leopard tortoises will be able to be displayed year-round now (formerly they were taken off-display during winter).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWN8MfLyAvc

8. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pridelands Developments

The Pridelands precinct currently consists of eleven exhibits:

1. Giraffe, Plains zebra and Common ostrich
    2. Cape porcupine and Slender-tailed meerkat
    3. Slender-tailed meerkat
    4. Masked lovebird
    5. Leopard tortoise
    6. Southern white rhinoceros, Waterbuck and Lowland nyala
    7. African Lion
    8. Greater flamingo
    9. Cheetah
    10. Hamadryas baboon
    11. Serval

Confirmed Developments:

As mentioned on the zoo’s social media, the Asian elephant exhibit is set to be redeveloped into a Southern white rhinoceros exhibit - which will become an integrated part of the Pridelands precinct. No further info including concept plans or target dates have been released, though it’s possible construction will begin as early as next year after the elephants are exported to Australia.

Likely Developments:

The Greater flamingo exhibit (opened 2001) is looking dated and cramped. The flock has long since outgrown it and to promote continued breeding success, they will presumably follow through with plans to build a new exhibit. The 2014 masterplan outlined plans for a flamingo aviary, though no further information has been released on this.

The Waterhole exhibit, created by merging the Southern white rhinoceros exhibit with the vacant Common hippopotamus exhibit in 2017 is still looking fresh; though the news that the rhinos are moving to the elephant exhibit suggests that this will be repurposed for something else. Having two rhino exhibits would be unimaginative and disruptive to the flow, considering they’d be interrupted by the three exhibits that currently seperate them. The change could be as disappointing as leaving the Waterbuck and nyala herd where they are, so it becomes an exhibit solely for them; but I’m hoping for a walk through flamingo aviary.

Possible Developments:

Lion Hill opened in 1998 and while landscaping has kept it fresh looking, it’s a small exhibit by today’s standards. Zoos like Taronga and Perth have opened new lion exhibits in recent years and if Auckland Zoo are to import males and commence breeding, they’d benefit from the space to do it. With the rhino and nyala exhibit potentially becoming vacant in the near future, the zoo has the opportunity to build something truly world class with their lions - overhead bridges or tunnels connecting the two exhibits being one option, allowing the visitors to get up close with one of the zoo’s biggest drawcards.

The Cheetah exhibit opened in 2004 and is adequate, but uninspiring. It’s arguably fit for purpose, especially given the Cheetah enjoy regular walks around the zoo; but like Wellington’s exhibit is lagging behind the new exhibit at Hamilton or the (understandably) larger exhibits at the open range Orana Wildlife Park. An expansion into the Waterhole exhibit could be an option; but it’s kind of a moot point since a smaller exhibit guarantees visitors a decent view of a species which usually sprawls out in the grass as far away from the visitors as possible. A revamp/upgrade of the existing Cheetah exhibit is probably the best option.

Unlikely Developments:

The Savannah exhibit (Giraffe, Plains zebra, Waterbuck and Common ostrich) was revamped with landscaping and new view points as part of a $7 million redevelopment in 2016 - which also included new exhibits for Cape porcupine, Slender-tailed meerkat, Masked lovebird and Leopard tortoise. These exhibits are still looking fresh and don’t require any upgrades at this stage.

The Hamadryas baboon exhibit opened as a Chacma baboon exhibit in 1999. Despite only minor landscaping changes occurring since the transition into an exhibit for Hamadryas baboon in 1999, this exhibit has aged extremely well compared to its counterparts and is fit for purpose. It easily accommodates the troop of 11 baboons, which the zoo has no plans to expand.

The Serval exhibit opened in 2004, but like the baboon exhibit, has barely aged. The open top exhibit is a decent size for these grassland cats and serves them well. I can’t foresee any need to rebuild (or even renovate) this exhibit in the immediate future.

9. zooboy28

I think there might be further developments in this space - with the rhinos moving across to the elephant exhibit, there might be consideration given to allowing the giraffe, zebra and ostrich access to the rhino space. This would fit with Auckland Zoo's focus on welfare. Not sure if either antelope (nyala/waterbuck) would move with the rhinos.

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

HE LIVES :eek: