Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Pridelands Redevelopment

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 12 May 2015.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Moderator Staff Member

Auckland Zoo have begun their Pridelands Redevelopment, which appears to involve the area between the Lion viewing hut and Giraffe feeding platform area. The redevelopment will include a walkthrough aviary for the Zoo's large Lovebird colony and a Meerkat exhibit, and I'm hoping there will be further additions, ideally Fennec Fox, reptiles, and other birds (African Greys perhaps). This looks to be quite a big addition to the zoo, and will see that area closed off, with a temporary boardwalk being built across the giraffe enclosure currently to maintain flow. There are some artists impressions on the Zoo's Facebook page now.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

the Facebook album for the photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152873729416984.1073741938.57062666983&type=1

That aviary look like it will be rather large, which is good. I wonder if they plan on having more than just the lovebirds?

no foxes allowed in NZ unfortunately. I don't think an exception would be made for fennecs. (Although having said that, mongooses aren't allowed either but meerkats get a pass, probably because they don't have "mongoose" in their name, so I would be happy to be wrong about fennecs).

3. zooboy28

Yes, the aviary does look too big for just the Lovebirds, although there are a good number of them. I suggested they might add African Greys (I don't know if they could be mixed with people or lovebirds, but they might have some of the aviary sectioned off), which they used to have at least, but I'm not sure what other options they have for African birds. Maybe a dove species? Its rather limited.

I didn;t realise Fennecs weren't allowed. They would be a nice addition though.

4. Chlidonias

maybe it's not an aviary. Maybe it's a walk-through ring-tailed lemur enclosure.

EDIT: never mind, I found the comments on one of the photos which say it will be a "free-flight aviary" for the lovebirds. (And the comment by one visitor: "Aren't there enough bird aviaries already at the zoo, seems like the pridelands area is being reduced and birds are not as exciting to view as the large African animals roaming in a larger space." :rolleyes:)

5. zooboy28

Yeah, I just went through the new comments, there's quite a lot of negative ones concerned about the reduction of the Pridelands, which seem misguided as I don't think much if any space will be lost. The development seems more in the non-exhibit escarpment area, where there are currently some dated huts and termite mounds (indeed the development is/was to be called Pridelands Escarpment). As for the "aren't there enough aviaries already" comment, that goes to show what the general public are interested in, but its certainly not a sentiment I share.

6. zooboy28

I just saw an earlier comment from the Zoo stating the expected completion date is January 2016.

7. Chlidonias

the zoo has posted a Youtube video of the Pridelands development so far. The lovebird aviary looks really big (e.g. height-wise it has a full-grown tree inside it). Also the leopard tortoises will be able to be displayed year-round now (formerly they were taken off-display during winter).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWN8MfLyAvc