Join our zoo community

Primate properties

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by MaddeeLynn, 20 Nov 2014.

1. MaddeeLynn

MaddeeLynn New Member

Hi!
    I'm doing a dissertation on differences in sexual dimorphism in primates and managed to collect the height and weights from the monkeys kept in collection at my college. However I am looking to find the heights and weights of various male and female monkeys so provide more data.
    Does anyone know where I can find this information.
    I've looked at San Diego zoo stud books but for some reason it says it requires a log in each time i click on the PDF, which I don't.
    I've even tried emailing zoos and everyone who has got back to me has not been able to provide me with the data I need.

Any ideas...please!? :confused::confused:

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi, Welcome to zoochat :)

What species of primate/s are you studying? If its a specific species we can point you in the direction of places that keep them

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The best source that I know of for this type of information is Napier & Napier, A Handbook of Living Primates, Academic Press, 1967. But you will find it very difficult to track down.
    Much easier to find is the Primate Info Net which has factsheets about a fair range of species Primate Factsheets
    I hope this helps.

Alan

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Another book by the Napiers is 'The Natural History of the Primates' British Museum/ published in 1985 though I think the info isn't quite as detailed as in the above. It gives measurements for most species, including some sexual differentiation ones, and the weights for some.

5. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Don't waste your time tying to get into studbooks for things like height and weight. It's not there. They offer studbook number, names, births, deaths, parents, and transfers. That's pretty much it for studbooks. SSP's wont offer that info either. They are much simpler with names, studbook numbers, current location, transfer and breeding recommendations.

You might get some of the info you are seeking from individual species care manuals or husbandry manuals. Some can be found free online, more are available if you sign up with the AZA. Plus if you sign up you can access all studbooks, SSPs and TAG's as well in case there is something interesting they might hold for you.

Also consider looking up the contacts for the various Taxon Advisory Groups or SSP's using the AZA website. Perhaps if you can get in touch with some of these people they can either provide you with the info you need or know who to contact about it.

Hopefully this might help a little.

6. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I agree that this volume is an excellent source for this type of information.

I have a copy so if "MaddeeLynn" provides further details as to what species are of interest I will try to answer the questions.

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The mentioned book is available 2nd hand from Amazon (not unreasonable in price either)