Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Primates at Twycross Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by chimpman, 21 Apr 2014.

1. EmperorTamarin

EmperorTamarin Well-Known Member

Twycross didn´t have any De Brazza´s until 2011, when they got 1,2 from Port Lympne. So it´s understandable you didn´t see them during your visit in 2005. :p

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the Port Lympne De Brazza's were obviously not the first ones to be held at Twycross though. They kept (and bred) them in the past as well.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Langurs. They also had Purple-faced, but not any more, but they do have Francois instead.

Guenons. They have for most of their existence had the widest selection of Guenons in the UK( and possibly in Europe as a whole) though many have bred only very sporadically in the past, and don't do so at all now. Other 'failed' species they have or had include Mona, Hamlyn's Owl faced and Allen's Swamp Monkey(the latter two species not anymore.) The most recent acquisitions are the De Brazzas and (I think) L'Hoests- these groups must be a lot younger than the other Guenons. As Chlidonias mentioned, they've had De Brazzas in the past before too, but not for a long time.

4. chimpman

chimpman Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's the other species I saw. It's funny how you remember things when the old memory is given a nudge.

I saw all those and I'm sure they had L'Hoest's back then too.

As a more general comment: How different would I find Twycross Zoo now? I formed the impression when I last went that at that time the zoo hadn't changed significantly for a long time.

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

@ chimpman I am pretty sure you would remember most of Twycross,minus a couple of building that have been knocked down in the last few years,before they fell down!Some bits would be completely new to you but not much even some of the new bits are now in need of a bit of tlc despite being less than 10 years old!
    But Primate wise you would still see a pretty good collection,but it is getting smaller each year in terms of species.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If they trim off the non-breeders, singletons and one or two other species that pretty much duplicate another one, they would still have a very presentable Primate collection for the public- I assume that is what they are gradually doing.

7. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They would if thats what they were doing,but last I heard all the Black Howlers were on the surplus list!