Join our zoo community

Primates park

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Valentin, 27 Mar 2020.

1. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks, Valentin

I had a pleasant visit to Apenheul, but I haven't been to the valley or to JMC. I would like to do more travel, dependent on the coronavirus, my health and public transport.

According to ZTL, the following monkeys lived in London Zoo:

Tassel-eared, black-tailed, buffy-headed, pygmy, Geoffroy’s, golden-white tassel-eared, silvery, common and black-pencilled marmosets; black-handed, golden-handed, Illiger’s saddle-back, white-lipped, red-capped, Geoffroy’s, Spix’s moustached, white-footed and cotton-top tamarins

Bearded, Guianan weeper, hooded, large-headed, Panamanian white-throated, white-fronted, white-faced, yellow-breasted and black-capped capuchins; bare-eared, red-backed and common squirrel monkeys

Azara’s, northern and grey-handed night monkeys

Booted, red-crowned and dusky titis; monk and white-faced sakis, red-backed, white-nosed and common bearded sakis;, black-headed and bald uakaris

Black-and-gold, red, ursine red and brown howlers; black-faced, Colombian brown, Geoffrey’s, white-bellied, white-whiskered and Colombian black spider monkeys; brown, silvery and grey woolly monkeys

Assam, bonnet, booted, crab-eating, Japanese, lion-tailed, moor, northern and Sunda pig-tailed, Pagai, rhesus, stump-tailed, Taiwan rock, Tonkean, toque and Barbary macaques; agile, collared, grey-cheeked, Johnston’s, sooty and black crested mangabeys; chacma, olive, western, yellow and Hamadryas baboons; drill, mandrill; gelada; Allen’s swamp, grivet, Tantalus, Angolan vervet, green, northern and southern talapoin and patas monkeys; red-bellied, crowned, Campbell’s, mona, Wolf’s, De Brazza’s, Dent’s, lesser and greater white-nosed, golden, moustached, Hamlyn’s, Sykes’s, L’Hoest’s, blue, Preuss’s, red-eared, Roloway, Sclater’s, blue and red-tailed guenons; king, white-thighed and red colobus monkeys; capped, dusky, Malabar sacred, mitred, pale-thighed, Phayre’s, purple-faced, red-shanked douc, tufted grey and black-crested Sumatran langurs; Francois’ leaf monkey; Javan lutung; Javan and banded surilis; golden snub-nosed and proboscis monkeys

According to ZTL the following monkeys are currently kept at Chester Zoo:

Pygmy marmoset; golden-headed lion, pied and emperor tamarins

Yellow-breasted capuchin

Black-and-gold howler; Colombian black spider monkey

Crested black and lion-tailed macaques, mandrill

2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Thank you so much.

So much for the London Zoo it seems huge, doesn't it? :eek:

3. Dassie rat

Thanks Valenin

I remember the Monkey House. I think that's the only time I've seen captive chacma baboons or hoolock gibbons. The Monkey House was replaced by the Sobell Pavilions, which included geladas and a red-shanked douc langur.

Valentin likes this.
  4. Valentin

Wow !

Are there no more chacma baboons in captivity?
    Okay thank you for the information.

Anyone have a list of monkey species from the Beauval Zoo?

5. Valentin

And that of the san diego zoo and the safari park please.

6. Dassie rat

There are no chacma baboons listed on ZTL, but I suspect a few are kept in zoos in southern Africa.

According to ZTL, the following monkeys are listed as current living at Beauval Zoo:

Silvery and pygmy marmosets; callimico; emperor, golden lion, golden-handed, pied, red-bellied and cotton-top tamarins
    Yellow-bellied capuchin, Bolivian squirrel monkey
    Red titi, white-faced saki
    Colombian black spider monkey
    Barbary and lion-tailed macaques, patas monkey, De Brazza’s, moustached and Diana guenons, mantled guereza, grey langur, Javan lutung, ebony leaf monkey

Valentin likes this.
  7. Dassie rat

I haven't got access to zoos outside the ZTL list. Several years ago, there was a website that enabled Zoochatters (and others) to look up different species in worldwide zoos.

Valentin likes this.
  8. Dassie rat

San Diego Zoo’s website (https://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals) lists the following monkeys, but may have more (the website is a bit confusing about current and past species):

Tufted capuchin
    Spider monkey
    Northern black-crested mangabey, Hamadryas baboon, mandrill, gelada; Red-tailed, lesser spot-nosed, De Brazza’s and Wolf’s guenons; Allen’s swamp monkey, Angolan and mantled colobus monkeys, silvered langur

The website of the San Diego Zoo Safari Park (https://www.sdzsafaripark.org/park-animals-plants) lists no monkeys.

9. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member 5+ year member

this are all species ever kept currently they keep only fraction of these

FunkyGibbon and Valentin like this.
  10. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member 5+ year member

proboscis monkey could come back since singapore takes part in the eaza programm
    when the last male of the species was sent back to the zoo from apenheul they publicly announced that there were plans to expand the programm to other parks within europe but the park decided to stop that for then and give the last male back but there stated the option that european parls would continue trying

Valentin likes this.
  11. Valentin

Thanks for the lists. That of Beauval should not take long to lengthen ...;)

The lists provided by San diego are complicated because there are all kinds of animals even those never kept by the park so ...

For London yes I said to myself that it was a lot at once.:D

Good news, so we are likely to see this primate in Europe again. Beauval talked about it in his masterplan so why not?

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was visiting the old London Zoo monkey house from around 1955 onwards, and never remember seeing Chacma baboon there. They did have both Olive(a pair) and Yellow, (also Mandrill, Drill & Gelada) through until around the time of its closure. I have only ever seen Chacmas in Europe once,a long time ago now, I think it was somewhere like Munich Zoo.

This enormous lists of primates from London Zoo must include many species that have been kept there at different times in its history- never all at once. Their primate collection diminished considerably when the Sobell pavilions were built, but the groups became larger. Nowadays the variety is even further reduced to just a very few species.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2020
    Valentin and Tim May like this.
  13. Valentin

There are therefore no more chacmas in Europe.

Okay, so that’s all the primates that came to the zoo one day. The collection was therefore much larger at the time than now. But if it is for animal welfare all the better.

Apenheul therefore remains the best in this area with the valley.

14. Dassie rat

ZTL lists the following monkeys living at London Zoo:

Callimico, emperor and pied tamarins, golden and golden-headed lion tamarins
    Bolivian squirrel monkey
    Red titi
    Black spider monkey
    Crested black macaque, white-crowned mangabey, Diana monkey, mantled colobus, Hanuman langur

Valentin likes this.
  15. Valentin

So thank you ultimately not as much as the list above. :D

16. Dassie rat

Thanks Valentin

London Zoo has been open for nearly 200 years and, like many other zoos, has greatly reduced the number of monkeys species it keeps.

17. Valentin

So much the better if it is to offer them more space.

18. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

And of course that was the list of all the former holdings, not the species they held at one time, although it is still very impressive.

19. Valentin

Yes i understood that.

amur leopard likes this.
  20. Dassie rat

Here is ZTL’s current list of monkeys kept at the Berlin Tierpark
    Silvery marmoset, golden-handed tamarin
    Yellow-breasted capuchin
    White-faced saki
    Venezuelan red howler
    Barbary and Sunda pig-tailed macaques, gelada, Diana monkey

Here is ZTL’s current list of monkeys kept at the Berlin Zoo
    Geoffroy’s marmoset, callimico; emperor, Graell’s and cotton-top tamarins
    Guiana weeper capuchin, common squirrel monkey
    Azara’s night monkey
    Red titi
    Black-and-gold howler, Colombian black spider monkey
    Japanese, Toque and lion-tailed macaques, Hamadryas baboon, mandrill, Hamlyn’s monkey, grey langur, Javan lutung

Valentin likes this.